Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Zep » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 pm

As much as I like the Ocean dub cast for the most part, I'm somewhat apprehensive about this... Where has it actually been said that they will replace the music though?

That's kind of a deal-breaker (the music may not be brilliant, but the fact Funi kept it means it'll be pretty regressive if they change it)... That and Freeza's voice. If they get Newstone back, it'll be pretty hard to take it seriously.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 pm

RazorX wrote:
dagame10k wrote:If it keeps Kai's score, no added SFX, the video is alone with no slowmo effect,, there is a suitable script, and they keep much of the original core cast while finding suitable replacements for Goku, Bulma, and varous other characters be it bad casting or unavailablity of an actor, I might actually look forward to it.
They need to keep Maggie Blue O Hara as Bulma. I doubt Ocean would use the actress they did for the final few episodes of Z.

So your views on the existence of this dub have changed? I recall you being sceptical about it in the previous Ocean Kai topic.
The problem with Maggie Blue O'Hara, she hasn't worked on an Ocean Anime dub in 6 years, hopefully they find a better replacement than Jane Perry was in the Westwood dub, but it would be nice to have her or Lalaina Lindberg return.

I don't see a single reason why another English Dub of Kai should exist when there already is a competent English dub in the FUNimation dub, though it's not my money to waste, and there hasn't been many Ocean dubs in the past few years, so I'll take whatever Ocean material I can get as long as it's competent. But I wont tolerate another Westwood 108-276 mess, they have a chance to do it right from the beginning, some script changes and some cut material will be acceptable if it's another broadcast dub.

Kirby Morrow who regularly works with Ocean who reaudition for for his Goku role, thats enough to prove there is a dub in the works, and the fact that they also feel Kirby might be "too cool" for Goku, it's given me hope in a competent dub :mrgreen:
RazorX wrote:
dagame10k wrote:Teen Trunks - Matthew Erickson
Matthew Erickson was the Blue Water dub actor for Trunks. Even though I felt he was better at the job than Alistair Abell, I doubt Matthew would come from Calgary to Vancouver to voice for Trunks.

Someone interviewed Alistair Abell and put it on youtube. Alistair apparently loved voicing Trunks and noted that his more recent roles were not as big as Trunks. I think he might reprise his role, though it depends on the casting director.

Regarding your voice actor list, I see you put a ? for Master Roshi, you don't want Klassen to reprise this role?
Matthew Erickson worked on Gundam Seed Destiny which was an Ocean dub, he played Shinn Asuka one of the main characters.

Alistair Abell's Trunks wasn't true to the character, the voice was lifeless, didn't convey any emotion, harsh and flat it was like he was ready the script trying to sound smart and angry.

Matthew Erickson's Trunks on the hand was more in line with the Japanese version, and almost as good as Eric Vale's version. It actually involved acting, wasn't monotone, didn't sound like he was just reading the script, one of but a few Blue Water actors that did some good work on Dragon Ball GT.

As for Roshi, Blue Water's Dean Galloway voiced a better version of Roshi than Klassen.
Klassen didn't have life in his voice, Roshi maybe an extremely old man, but the character still has a lot of life in him, and Klassen's voice doesn't work.
Last edited by dagame10k on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody's Real............"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Zep wrote:As much as I like the Ocean dub cast for the most part, I'm somewhat apprehensive about this... Where has it actually been said that they will replace the music though?
Obviously nothing has been confirmed on an official level, but back when Sean Schemmel still had a Facebook fan page, he claimed that the music would be replaced. I don't have the exact quote on me, and have no way of getting it unless somebody else saved it because Schemmel quit Facebook, which automatically deleted any of his posts. However, he said something to the effect of, "I've already heard some of the replacement music they want to use and it sounds horrible. They're also adding a bunch of sound effects that weren't there before." Keep in mind that's not a word-for-word quote, that's just roughly what he said. Regardless, I've gone back and forth over whether or not I believe him, but he was the first person to begin any kind of rumor that there was even going to be an Ocean dub of Kai in the first place...now that it's pretty much confirmed on an official level that there will be an Ocean dub, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of the music.

He also added that apparently they're adding sound effects in where there originally were none, such as "a 'whoosh' sound effect when Bulma turns here head."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:54 pm

RazorX wrote: You can thank Funimation for that. Once Ocean started their own dub, they didn't use the next dimension lines. Funimation was responsible for the scripting and editing of the first 2 sagas, Ocean were hired to dub the voices by Saban & Funi.
I wasn't saying that was FUNimation's fault. I was merely saying that the Ocean dub is synonymous with "the next dimension".

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Wow, I had no idea Schemmel quit Facebook. :shock: That's surprising given how easy I hear it is to stay in contact with people over it.

I'm still hoping that Ocean decides to keep Kai's original music instead of making up their own; maybe give it some second thoughts?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 am

Blue Water is a joke, I hope for this dub's sake they don't make the mistake of letting that crew handle it.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Schemmel quit Facebook
You don't say?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:57 am

Yeah, Sean didn't like some of the privacy stuff with Facebook as time went on, so he left at least a few months ago. He's still on Myspace though.

And it's a weird feeling. I'm interested in such a dub from Ocean...yet...I really fail to see the point. It's not like the situation with Ocean, Saban, and Funi years back, we're getting a good dub right off the bat. Does there really still need to be multiple dubs in one language?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:26 am

Yeah, I feel the same way. It seems a bit unnecessary.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:42 am

Unless this ocean dub keeps the original music, and strives to be more faithful than Funi with attack names/casting etc, it's utterly pointless.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 am

If anything like their post 2000 dub I bet they'll just purchase FUNis script like before.
But this time both dubs will be on the same level as they were in past, only difference is..it's true dragon ball(not well fucked up).

They really should drop kirby as Goku, never liked him..If Ian could have a higher pitched Goku that'd be awesome! He sounded well..like Son went to school which we know that didn't happen.

There's really no need for "2" English Dubs, and I'm pretty sure Canada CAN'T get the rights to Dragon Ball as FUNimation owns Region 1 which covers Canada.

I'm pretty sure FUNi WILL not allow a second English dub on Blu-ray or DVD, though it'd be cool if FUNimation released both dubs once Kai is finished.

I'm really excited if Drummond comes back, Sabat upped his game with kai and I honestly can't wait to see what Drummond could do..I didn't like his original performance but after hearing Ryuk from Death Note I'd think he could pull off a Ryo English Esque Vegeta.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:39 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If anything like their post 2000 dub I bet they'll just purchase FUNis script like before.
Well, supposedly Ocean didn't "purchase" FUNi's script. I recall a Daizex poster saying that apparently it was just some guy watching the FUNi dub and jotting down what was said, then copying the script verbatim. I would not have paid much attention to that were it not for the fact that shortly before I read that, Schemmel had written that apparently Ocean "stole" their script from FUNi back in the day. He said the reason he knew this was because occasionally when the script wasn't working, he and Sabat would change or modify some of the lines. These changes were not noted in the original English scripts, they just did them on the fly. Yet somehow, the changes appeared on the Ocean dub as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:44 am

I see.

Even though this is coming from Kirby, can this actually be confirmed by other means?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Not really. We don't even know who's making the English dub. It sounds like it's a different company this tie around (so, no more Westwood Media), but who else could it be? Maybe it's just Toei Animation themselves like they did with Pretty Cure...?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:19 pm

penguintruth wrote:MasakoX for Goku.
Haha, I'll tell him when he gets back from Alcon :lol:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Not really. We don't even know who's making the English dub. It sounds like it's a different company this tie around (so, no more Westwood Media), but who else could it be? Maybe it's just Toei Animation themselves like they did with Pretty Cure...?
According to Crystal Acids, there's a Funi version, and a Toei version, so I'm guessing that Toei themselves are doing it

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:34 pm

That's not good... That means we probably won't be getting a home release... :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Paradox295 wrote:

A man can dream..
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Budogenkai wrote:
Paradox295 wrote:

A man can dream..
Hm? :?

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Not really. We don't even know who's making the English dub. It sounds like it's a different company this tie around (so, no more Westwood Media), but who else could it be? Maybe it's just Toei Animation themselves like they did with Pretty Cure...?
That happened because 4kids never produced a dub, than FUNimation aquired it in 2009.
This wouldn't happen with Kai as Toei is very pleased with the dub.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Mewzard wrote:Yeah, Sean didn't like some of the privacy stuff with Facebook as time went on, so he left at least a few months ago. He's still on Myspace though.

And it's a weird feeling. I'm interested in such a dub from Ocean...yet...I really fail to see the point. It's not like the situation with Ocean, Saban, and Funi years back, we're getting a good dub right off the bat. Does there really still need to be multiple dubs in one language?
I don't like some of the privacy stuff with Denny's or Steak'n'Shake. I just tend not to say things I don't want people repeating when I'm in those places instead of flipping out on people for overhearing me and telling someone else what I said.

Because I'm famous. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Yeah, Sean didn't like some of the privacy stuff with Facebook as time went on, so he left at least a few months ago. He's still on Myspace though.

I don't like some of the privacy stuff with Denny's or Steak'n'Shake. I just tend not to say things I don't want people repeating when I'm in those places instead of flipping out on people for overhearing me and telling someone else what I said.

Because I'm famous. :lol:
Lol, I just meant that their privacy setup wasn't exactly working too good for a lot of people, and, outside of the fanclub, he wanted his facebook to be solely used for friends and family.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!