Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

2quid

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by 2quid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Cautious optimism is the name of the game here lads
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm

2quid wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm Cautious optimism is the name of the game here lads
Yeah, but cautious optimism over ten and a half years is a source of inevitable let-down. Just ask any fan of the Cleveland Browns. :lol:

In any event, I've resigned to never being able to see this dub. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm just not counting on it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

2quid

Post by 2quid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:59 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
2quid wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm Cautious optimism is the name of the game here lads
Yeah, but cautious optimism over ten and a half years is a source of inevitable let-down. Just ask any fan of the Cleveland Browns. :lol:

In any event, I've resigned to never being able to see this dub. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm just not counting on it.
You and I are alike in that then
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:32 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Oh I think Cubs fans have them beat :mrgreen: , try waiting over 100 years for another world series win, it took ages but it finally happened and I too believe this dub will see the light of day one way or another.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:02 am

If the resurfacing of the 5 Harmony Gold episodes after about 30 years is anything to go by, I'd never say never with this franchise.

Although, let's hope Ocean Kai's debut won't take quite that long :)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 am

Alright, well, there's two things I wish to share right now.

1 of which is news but not Dragon Ball-related. The other is Dragon Ball-related but not news.

Anyway, first thing's first. We gotta (at least briefly) talk about Sir Ian James Corlett replacing our fallen hero, Kirby Morrow.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230783609856010

This is huge on two levels! Firstly, that Viz went through such trouble to find our boy, Ian and decide to cast him as Kirby's replacement when they could have gotten anyone, even someone from Bang Zoom!

Secondly, I'm struggling to grasp the concept that Ian Corlett is working with Ocean again after 24 years! This is bananas. Though he did say in recent years that he would assume the role of Goku again if he was ever offered it.

But I mean, just wow. What a great thing to happen. Really gives me hope. ^_^

Next order of business is kind of random, but if now isn't a good time, when is?

A couple of years ago, I reported that I had Episode #26 of Trevor Devall's "Voiceprint" podcast in my possession. This of course is the episode where the late, great Kirby Morrow had officially announced Ocean Kai's existence beyond mere heresay.

I was advised to keep it to myself until Trevor got his website revamped where Devall himself told me that he would have every episode of Voiceprint, including this one, back online. Well, it's been 2 and a half years now and his website is looking pretty plain. Not that I blame him, I'm sure he's a busy guy.

But without further ado, here is this important piece of history.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MLCiio ... sp=sharing

In loving memory of Kirby Morrow.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:55 am

Arian wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 am Alright, well, there's two things I wish to share right now.

1 of which is news but not Dragon Ball-related. The other is Dragon Ball-related but not news.

Anyway, first thing's first. We gotta (at least briefly) talk about Sir Ian James Corlett replacing our fallen hero, Kirby Morrow.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230783609856010

This is huge on two levels! Firstly, that Viz went through such trouble to find our boy, Ian and decide to cast him as Kirby's replacement when they could have gotten anyone, even someone from Bang Zoom!

Secondly, I'm struggling to grasp the concept that Ian Corlett is working with Ocean again after 24 years! This is bananas. Though he did say in recent years that he would assume the role of Goku again if he was ever offered it.

But I mean, just wow. What a great thing to happen. Really gives me hope. ^_^
Interesting to have the 1st Canadian English adult Goku replace the 3rd. Good casting, Viz &, I assume, Ocean.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 pm

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2021/ ... d-license/

In a move that should surprise only the most optimistic, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has revoked Comedy Gold’s broadcast license. The move came via the request of Wow Unlimited Media, who has given up on launching a linear television service in Canada – a move it first announced back in June 2017.

Wow submitted the license revocation to the CRTC back in July, with a decision made on February 5th. The announcement notes that the company was unable “to secure funding and distribution to allow the service’s launch.” Citing uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the increasing prominence of digital platforms, Wow requested the license be revoked as it saw no way to launch the service in the near or distant future.

Wow received approval from the CRTC to purchase Comedy Gold’s broadcast license from Bell Media in July 2018. They officially took over on September 1, 2019, but rather than launching their new service, the channel space just went dark. The animation company would consistently state its struggles securing the funding needed to launch the venture.

In their initial application to the CRTC, Wow described the stillborn channel as “TV for a Post-TV Generation,” with “plans to develop an immersive, device agnostic, exclusive “destination”, designed to more closely reflect today’s youth, deliver highly targeted programming focused on topics that are relevant and aspirational, but within a media environment kids will love and parents can trust.”

It is worth pointing out that the deal with Bell also saw Wow acquire programming to stream on Crave, with the first batch debuting under the “Wow! World” banner in September 2018. 2021 has started off unusually light on that front. No new Wow-branded content has been added to the service since the third season of Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood on January 9th. It’s not yet clear if that’s just a temporary lull or a sign that the partnership (which resulted in Sailor Moon’s addition to the site) might not be as important as it once was. Bell Media itself has gone through mass layoffs and corporate restructuring within the last month.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 pm https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2021/ ... d-license/

In a move that should surprise only the most optimistic, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has revoked Comedy Gold’s broadcast license. The move came via the request of Wow Unlimited Media, who has given up on launching a linear television service in Canada – a move it first announced back in June 2017.

Wow submitted the license revocation to the CRTC back in July, with a decision made on February 5th. The announcement notes that the company was unable “to secure funding and distribution to allow the service’s launch.” Citing uncertainties due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the increasing prominence of digital platforms, Wow requested the license be revoked as it saw no way to launch the service in the near or distant future.

Wow received approval from the CRTC to purchase Comedy Gold’s broadcast license from Bell Media in July 2018. They officially took over on September 1, 2019, but rather than launching their new service, the channel space just went dark. The animation company would consistently state its struggles securing the funding needed to launch the venture.

In their initial application to the CRTC, Wow described the stillborn channel as “TV for a Post-TV Generation,” with “plans to develop an immersive, device agnostic, exclusive “destination”, designed to more closely reflect today’s youth, deliver highly targeted programming focused on topics that are relevant and aspirational, but within a media environment kids will love and parents can trust.”

It is worth pointing out that the deal with Bell also saw Wow acquire programming to stream on Crave, with the first batch debuting under the “Wow! World” banner in September 2018. 2021 has started off unusually light on that front. No new Wow-branded content has been added to the service since the third season of Daniel Tiger’s Neighbourhood on January 9th. It’s not yet clear if that’s just a temporary lull or a sign that the partnership (which resulted in Sailor Moon’s addition to the site) might not be as important as it once was. Bell Media itself has gone through mass layoffs and corporate restructuring within the last month.
It was looking pretty bad from the writing on the wall. This simply solidifies it for the people with their fingers in their ears.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 am

Arian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:41 pm It was looking pretty bad from the writing on the wall. This simply solidifies it for the people with their fingers in their ears.
Yeah. Unfortunately I think Wow was our last real hope at getting this out, and now that's dead.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 am

Such a shame. Wow had so much promise and Marni seemed willing.

Oh well, hopefully another opportunity will arise someday.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:23 pm

So it looks like Lee Tockar recently did an interview with a fan in which he talks about doing Freeza and gives some tidbits about the dub. He seems to be under the impression that Kirby Morrow was in the dub (he may be thinking about how Morrow talked about not being cast as Goku and mistook that as him participating in the dub, but it's also possible that Morrow played someone else in the dub) and that the dub actually aired somewhere (not likely at all). He also does a bit of his Freeza voice and it's... not great, if you ask me.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:23 pm So it looks like Lee Tockar recently did an interview with a fan in which he talks about doing Freeza and gives some tidbits about the dub. He seems to be under the impression that Kirby Morrow was in the dub (he may be thinking about how Morrow talked about not being cast as Goku and mistook that as him participating in the dub, but it's also possible that Morrow played someone else in the dub) and that the dub actually aired somewhere (not likely at all). He also does a bit of his Freeza voice and it's... not great, if you ask me.
Hard to judge from such a small clip, but it's certainly quite different from what we've typically seen the English voices of Freeza do. Much more of a loud madman than, for instance, Chris Ayres' more subdued version. I could see some people comparing him to Linda Young, but she wasn't screamy like he is. Doesn't sound anything like the "British Mark Hamill Joker" KaiserNeko described it as. Though granted the sound quality here is utterly awful; sounds even worse than the average mic quality of DBZA season 1. :lol:
Maybe it sounds different on higher-quality mics and in person, IDK.

Whatever the case, I will reserve judgement until the day we finally see this air. A goofy-sounding voice being demonstrated in a podcast off the cuff is pretty different from an actual performance, after all.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pmWhatever the case, I will reserve judgement until the day we finally see this air. A goofy-sounding voice being demonstrated in a podcast off the cuff is pretty different from an actual performance, after all.
I really don't think we're gonna see this air, and there's something to be said about moving on to the stage of grieving where we accept and mourn the loss. :lol:

I agree otherwise, though. I mean, in the context that he used his Freeza voice in that interview, Tockar was talking about the vocally stressful aspect Dragon Ball recording sessions, so it makes sense that in that particular moment he would demonstrate that via a screamy line rather than a more calm and subdued delivery. Plus, as you mentioned, the mic wasn't particularly good, so what we heard didn't amount to much in the way of a sample that can really be properly analyzed.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pmWhatever the case, I will reserve judgement until the day we finally see this air. A goofy-sounding voice being demonstrated in a podcast off the cuff is pretty different from an actual performance, after all.
I really don't think we're gonna see this air, and there's something to be said about moving on to the stage of grieving where we accept and mourn the loss. :lol:

I agree otherwise, though. I mean, in the context that he used his Freeza voice in that interview, Tockar was talking about the vocally stressful aspect Dragon Ball recording sessions, so it makes sense that in that particular moment he would demonstrate that via a screamy line rather than a more calm and subdued delivery. Plus, as you mentioned, the mic wasn't particularly good, so what we heard didn't amount to much in the way of a sample that can really be properly analyzed.
I won't give up hope just yet, we've seen long lost dubs re-surface before so i'm quite ready to throw in the towel just yet.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm

You are quite ready to throw the towel? Isnt that the same as giving up?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:33 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm I really don't think we're gonna see this air, and there's something to be said about moving on to the stage of grieving where we accept and mourn the loss. :lol:
Eh. I don't think you have to give up all hope, you just have to stop expecting it to come out, and accept that it's a long shot and is probably years away if it ever does come out. Again, Ocean are still pitching it to TV stations, so clearly it's still entirely possible it airs someday. The main issue is Canadian TV stations just don't air anime.

But I refuse to ever say "It's never coming out." Never say never.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm I agree otherwise, though. I mean, in the context that he used his Freeza voice in that interview, Tockar was talking about the vocally stressful aspect Dragon Ball recording sessions, so it makes sense that in that particular moment he would demonstrate that via a screamy line rather than a more calm and subdued delivery. Plus, as you mentioned, the mic wasn't particularly good, so what we heard didn't amount to much in the way of a sample that can really be properly analyzed.
Yeah.

Maybe one of these days, someone could get him to read a more subtle line at a con or in an interview at some point in future to get a more proper taste of his performance.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:22 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm

I won't give up hope just yet, we've seen long lost dubs re-surface before so i'm quite ready to throw in the towel just yet.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm You are quite ready to throw the towel? Isnt that the same as giving up?
Clearly a typo. I'm sure he just forgot to throw "not" in there. Lord knows that has happened to me too many times! XD

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 pm

Tockar's Freeza is basically what I predicted it would be knowing his vocal range, which it's a perfectly fine direction to go in. Derek Stephen Prince has already done a similarly monstrous take with his Freeza in the Bang Zoom dub so it's not unlike anything we've heard before. Lee's villainous roles tend to have that raspy quality to them and it was always my expectation that he'd go in that route rather than sounding like Ayres.

Obviously, that clip shouldn't be taken so literally as to believe his Freeza screams every line like that, though I'm sure that won't stop some people.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:49 am

My initial thoughts on the voice were actually that it sounded like Derek Stephen Prince's performance. Makes me wonder could there be any connections between this dub and the Bang Zoom dub because we did hear Namek pronounced in the latter how it's allegedly pronounced in the former. Probably not because we know now Ocean Kai was produced by Ocean themselves, but who knows.

Anyway I think Tockar's voice in this interview could work because Freeza is very spoiled and was so fearful of losing everything that was handed to him.

I'm also in the "never say never" camp for this dub airing. Thankfully Ocean do seem wise enough to hold on to it and to keep shopping it around, because as long as it still exists there's always a chance, maybe a small chance but a chance nonetheless of it being seen.