Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Fizzer wrote:I was looking forward to the replacement score because I despise the Kikuchi placement in Kai, especially seasons 3 and 4. I thought it would be hard to get it more wrong than that. However, that intro is an absolute disaster. I have no background in music at all and I really believe I could come up with something better if someone was paying me.
Agreed, but despite all of that I am just excited for a version of Kai where the English speaking voice actors don't sound bored.
Can't wait for Brian Drummond memes saying "Over 8,000" lol a whole new era!
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Wow...I hated that.

Still hoping this doesn't come out so I don't have to buy it.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Y'know after listening to it a few more time its has this early 90s "Three Ninjas" / Late 80s "Karate Kid" feel to it, so it may work. It just depends on the execution of the animation with it, kind of like how they did their own thing with "Rock the Dragon."
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm

I can't see this being the actual theme song for the Dub. Sounds more like a demo to me.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:24 pm

This...isn't good.This is probably unfinished because it CAN'T BE that short.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Ugh. Yeah, I think I'm going to pass, if this song is going to be a thing.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:18 pm

penguintruth wrote:Ugh. Yeah, I think I'm going to pass, if this song is going to be a thing.
If it's a TV exclusive, then, well, most online sites that stream this stuff exclude openings anyway, so, bah.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Fair enough, but this is not exactly the best foot forward.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:36 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I hope this is an incomplete version. A 20-second theme? Please.
Have you watched anything on Cartoon Network recently? Most of their theme songs are roughly that - if they even make it that long. Hell, Young Justice got its intro snipped to under 7 seconds when it was on the air! In fact, I was surprised the Dragon Soul edit for Nicktoons is as long as it is.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Man, that was horrible. Disappointing really.

Maybe it is possible that they had to remake the opening song to fit the time allotted to them and dragon soul couldn't be edited down to 20 seconds. Hopefully that is the case.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm

:lol: Oh dear god that has got to be up there with "representing the Dragonball". At least the song has an upbeat feeling which fits with DB, I'm glad they didn't try and make it all edgy with whatever kids are into these days. And as corny as it is it's still pretty catchy. And it's the same guy who did "Gotta Get That Dragonball" coming back after 20 years? That would explain why it's so cheesy yet catchy.

GravediggerNALK

Post by GravediggerNALK » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I REALLY hope that was just a test. I hope that when (if) it gets released, it has some of the Ocean cast singing "Dragon Soul" instead.
Android17 wrote:I'm hoping that the delay is because Ocean Studios is waiting to have the Buu Saga completed before they release it. However if FUNi Buu Saga Kai comes and goes without any official word of the Ocean Dub, I'm going to have to give up on it.
This is what I'm hoping for. Well, that, and Ian James Corlett as Goku. Also, I'd really like them to keep it as "Over 9000" instead of "Over 8000". I understand that 8000 is the correct translation, but "Over 9000" has become so ingrained in some of our heads that 8000 is a little too odd-sounding.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:While replacement scores in anime dubs are a pretty rare thing now, I can't even get mad at this being a possibility for Kai. The music situation for that show is such a mess that it would be nice to have an original score composed for it. However, I suspect there will be Mega Man and Monster Rancher leftovers ... :yawn:
Yeah, I hate the Yamamoto score with a passion, but it was better on the ears than when they just threw old Kikuchi tracks into the video randomly. Even though the odds of it happening are next to nill, I'd like to see Kai with a dark, techno-ish soundtrack reminiscent of the original FUNimation/Ocean/Saban-dub

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 pm

reminiscent of the original FUNimation/Ocean/Saban-dub
Oh dear lord no, Faulconer, Johnson, Menza even Megaman music. ANYTHING but the Shuki Levy score.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Oh dear lord no, Faulconer, Johnson, Menza even Megaman music. ANYTHING but the Shuki Levy score.
Wow Megaman ir Shuki levy. That's a first. What's so...bad bout Shuki? I thought some of his BGM was quite decent. Also why did they change the theme song? They can't use Dragon Soul?

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:14 pm

I put some clips together with the music for what I think the opening might look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8you20SccsI

GravediggerNALK

Post by GravediggerNALK » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:43 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
I would've liked to have seen Kai with the Faulconer score as an OPTION on the blu-rays. I enjoyed Levy's score because of how . . . "dark" it felt sometimes. Faulconer's score had some GREAT moments in that tone too (especially during the Garlic Jr. arc). There's just something about adding that "dark", ominous feel to the BGM sometimes in DBZ that really makes it feel more intense. HFIL, the only times I can honestly take Raditz, Vegeta, and Nappa seriously at the beginning of Z is are when I'm watching it with either of the replacement scores.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Fennekin wrote:I put some clips together with the music for what I think the opening might look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8you20SccsI
Break on through, to the other side!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbiPDSxFgd8

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:26 am

ringworm128 wrote::lol: Oh dear god that has got to be up there with "representing the Dragonball". At least the song has an upbeat feeling which fits with DB, I'm glad they didn't try and make it all edgy with whatever kids are into these days. And as corny as it is it's still pretty catchy. And it's the same guy who did "Gotta Get That Dragonball" coming back after 20 years? That would explain why it's so cheesy yet catchy.
Well, he didn't write the music for either song; He simply provided the vocals.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:28 am

I wonder if Kai will have similar music to the BLT Dragon Bal dub?

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 am

I think the song will have 10 more seconds since I don't remember that many English Dubbed anime openings (that aired on English television) with less than 30 seconds.

Also, how many people think the song will be removed now that it's been found? Unless it was an intentional leak.

EDIT: I also emailed David Steele and asked him these questions:

"1. Is it for the Canadian-produced dub of “Dragon Ball Z Kai”?

2. Is the 22 second audio clip you have on your website the full version?

3. Do you have any information on when this dub will be airing on television?
"

It says says he gets back to you when you e-mail him, so we might get some important answers this week!