Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm

penguintruth wrote:Still, I wonder if it will have a DVD/Blu-Ray release.
If it's the same case with the Westwood Dub, probably not, which would mean we'd have to record them from TV like others have done with the Westwood dub.

Man, two same language dubs of the same show can really get annoying sometimes. It's giving me a slight headache the fact that such a practice exists.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 07, 2012 6:57 am

Gonstead wrote:Man, two same language dubs of the same show can really get annoying sometimes. It's giving me a slight headache the fact that such a practice exists.
They're still different.

Each country should be able to dub animes into their own languages than importing from others, or at least subbing them officially and then air them.

Can't wait to hear Peter Kelamis, the Goku, in Ocean Kai! :)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 am

Actually, if I remember correctly, Peter Kelamis said via Twitter after getting swamped with so many questions about the Ocean dub of Kai that he was unaware of it and had not auditioned, nor been asked to audition. So as cool as it would be for him to return, it's not likely. Ian Corlett, the actor before him (and the very first voice actor to voice adult Goku in English) is also unlikely to return because he left Ocean many years ago in a dispute over pay. I recall hearing on a Daizex podcast episode (back when it was still Daizex, of course) that Ian was offered to reprise his role for the Westwood dub, but he turned it down, saying that whatever offer they made him to return would be more insulting than why he left in the first place.

So, unfortunately, it seems as though neither Corlett, Kelamis, or Morrow will reprise the role, meaning that we're likely going to get a whole new Goku altogether. When Morrow wasn't re-cast, I was afraid that this meant that they would re-cast other roles, but obviously they're considering the original cast if they had Morrow audition, and obviously they still like some of the original cast since Scott McNeil is reprising Piccolo. This, of course, leads us to another big question that so far has no answer...who are "they"? Who's in charge of this dub?

Regardless, I'll be very interested to watch it. I've got my thumbs crossed for a few of the other Ocean voice actors to reprise their roles, with Brian Drummond's Vegeta at the top of my wishlist!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm

As much as I like Kelamis as Goku, I wouldn't mind hearing a new voice, as long as it suits the energy of the character.

Plus Kelamis could be a bit inconsistent.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 pm

penguintruth wrote:Plus Kelamis could be a bit inconsistent.
That's a tell-tale sign of working under a different director. Which Kelamis did. Different directors will want different things, leading to performances that do not consistently emphasize the same elements of a prior performance. Barry Watson directed the Ocean dub of DBZ, Karl Willems (who also directed the "Death Note" dub) directed the three uncut Ocean/Pioneer movies, and the Westwood dub was directed by...a bunch of different people. McNeil said that they went through eight directors.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Karl Willems definitely got the most out of Kelamis, in the movies.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Definitely. I think he got the best out of the entire Ocean cast, quite frankly. It would have been nice to have seen what he could have gotten out of Brian Drummond's Vegeta. Or heck, while we're dealing in hypothetical situations, it would have been nice to see what he and Pioneer could have gotten out of the Ocean cast if they had dubbed DBZ to begin with.

Ah well, water under the bridge. FUNimation's Kai dub is more than good enough for me anyway! :D

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

However, if Willems does return for Kai, it will be interesting to see what he can do.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:Karl Willems definitely got the most out of Kelamis, in the movies.
Yep, definitely!

Especially in the 2nd Film where Kelamis sounded so much like the original Goku, so effin awesome! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtsM5LKoJPQ
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon May 07, 2012 6:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Karl Willems definitely got the most out of Kelamis, in the movies.
Yep, definitely!

Especially in the 2nd Film where Kelamis sounded so much like the original Goku, so effin awesome! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtsM5LKoJPQ
His best scene indefinetly!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon May 07, 2012 8:11 pm

You know, I think directors are the most important factor to a good production. Good actors have been seen in terrible movies with terrible acting, and, it's not any different than with voice acting.

Goddamn emphasis is so important when voicing a spot; having a bad director will just f*ck sh*t up! A good director can bring the best out of anybody, experienced or not.

Eh, I know this isn't the place to put it but I made a short impression video here on the Ocean actors (Well Goku and Vegeta...)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Attitudefan wrote:You know, I think directors are the most important factor to a good production. Good actors have been seen in terrible movies with terrible acting, and, it's not any different than with voice acting.

Goddamn emphasis is so important when voicing a spot; having a bad director will just f*ck sh*t up! A good director can bring the best out of anybody, experienced or not.

Eh, I know this isn't the place to put it but I made a short impression video here on the Ocean actors (Well Goku and Vegeta...)
Nice work on Yamcha and Goku :D Did you make this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HPzB6zD ... ure=relmfu
Because that looks awesome 8)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 am

Yeah! I am still working on it... it has been what? A year?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 am

Attitudefan wrote:Eh, I know this isn't the place to put it but I made a short impression video here on the Ocean actors (Well Goku and Vegeta...)
That was really good, all of those voices were done by you, you didn't ask MasakoX for Goku? :P

You know, they could hire TeamFourStar's VAs if they wanted, MasakoX to do Goku, LittleKuriboh as Lord Freeza/Cell, but the rest could stay with the original Ocean actors (Brian Drummond, etc).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Uhh... Voice acting doesn't work like that... They really would need to be more in the area of the recording studios, like in Vancouver. They ain't gonna be flying LittleKuriboh or MasakoX out to do their dub, just because they're on the Internet and do voices for Internet videos.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw wrote:Uhh... Voice acting doesn't work like that... They really would need to be more in the area of the recording studios, like in Vancouver. They ain't gonna be flying LittleKuriboh or MasakoX out to do their dub, just because they're on the Internet and do voices for Internet videos.
You're right, they'll just hire someone who's nearer to them.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Eh, I know this isn't the place to put it but I made a short impression video here on the Ocean actors (Well Goku and Vegeta...)
That was really good, all of those voices were done by you, you didn't ask MasakoX for Goku? :P

You know, they could hire TeamFourStar's VAs if they wanted, MasakoX to do Goku, LittleKuriboh as Lord Freeza/Cell, but the rest could stay with the original Ocean actors (Brian Drummond, etc).
Haha no, just me :P

Well, that's not all true. If they have a proper studio set up at their house then it could be possible to do it from there. There are probably other legal issues however when doing a dub so they probably have to be at the studio.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 pm

FUNi had the old VAs from the Slayers dub by Central Park Media for Revolution and Evolution-R. Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, Veronica Taylor and Crispin Freeman came back to reprise their roles and even got Dan Green as Wizer. They did in a New York studio and likely sent the audio to FUNi in Texas.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I don't think Toei would approve of an Ocean dub containing voice actors from a parody they've tried removing from Youtube a few times.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't think Toei would approve of an Ocean dub containing voice actors from a parody they've tried removing from Youtube a few times.
Technically Toei didn't remove them, a Toei bot did. Still, TFS was pretty clear that they didn't want people making a big deal about them to Toei. This is, more likely than not, because they don't want their fun (and utterly hilarious) hobby being turned into an over-the-top, stressful legal battle.