Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:According to Brendan Walker, their voice actor for goku is in this.
Who? Their are a couple voices in that clip. I also think it's important to keep in mind that just because we hear a particular voice in this clip doesn't mean the voice actor in question will use the same voice for portraying Goku.
He didn't say who. He just stated it as so with the video
Hmm...that's actually a pretty clever way of "revealing who without revealing who." I guess someone just needs to come up with a list of all the actors in that clip, and let the guessing game begin!

EDIT: Okay, fine, I'll do it myself. :lol:

Apparently, the new Ocean voice for Goku is one of these people.

I guess that rules out a return from either Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis, unfortunately. I thought about making my own list that excluded the women...but who knows. Since this new dubbing company wanted to take the character in a different direction than what Kirby Morrow did, it could be possible that they chose a woman to play Goku since Masako Nozawa played him in Japan. I highly doubt this is the case, but who knows? Either way, we now have a list of potential actors for Goku in the new Ocean dub of Kai.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm

I immediately recognized the Iceman as Blue Water's Kid Goku (Zoe Slusar). Was cool to hear that voice again (no pun intended)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Since we now have it narrowed down to a list, my vote is for Cole Howard based on the clip presented to us. Like I mentioned earlier, though, whatever voice actor is chosen, it's entirely possible--and in some cases, probable--that they will use a different voice than what we heard here.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 pm

If it is Cole Howard, it will be the second time a Mega Man has voiced Goku (Ian Corlett is the first).
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:If it is Cole Howard, it will be the second time a Mega Man has voiced Goku (Ian Corlett is the first).
Oh yeah, that's true! That would be funny...and if that did happen, all voice actors and aspiring voice actors would know how to get cast as Goku: get cast as Megaman first. :D

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 pm

If Cole Howard is in the Ocean dub of Kai I think he should voice Trunks. As for who is going to voice Goku, I've got a wild guess that it will be the dude who does Dr Wily since he can obviously do a high pitch voice (that's assuming they want to be faithful to Masako Nozawa's voice).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm

My guess is it'll be one of these three: Brendan Hunter, Dean Galloway, or Cole Howard.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm sort of hoping it isn't Brendan Hunter. Have you heard his Tenshinhan? Ugh.

But, well, maybe he's improved.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 pm

penguintruth wrote:Is he Elecman?

And people say Goku's Japanese voice sounds "gay".

Yes, before you ask, I am aware that he'd probably do a different voice for Goku...
Brendan plays Elecman in that clip. I doubt he's been cast as Goku.

Interestingly it seems the dub will be a Calgary - Vancouver production.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

So wait... they're using folks from Blue Water?

Not a good sign.

Can I get a Schemen?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 pm

But, hasn't Scott McNeil confirmed himself to be returning?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:15 pm

penguintruth wrote:So wait... they're using folks from Blue Water?

Not a good sign.
Let's keep in mind, we've just been calling it the "Ocean dub" because it's easier to say in casual conversation than, "the alternate English dub." Kirby Morrow said that the company behind this dub is a different company than the one who was behind the "Ocean dub" of DBZ. On the other hand, the credits for the Nicktoons-edited dub most definitely did mention "Ocean Studios"...so we're really not sure who's behind this. Having said all that, Ocean Studios is in Vancouver, Scott McNeil said he's returning as Piccolo, and Kirby Morrow said that he (re)-auditioned for Goku, which means that whoever this new company is, they at least considered the original cast, and in (at least) one case, actually chose someone from the original cast. We don't know that they're going with the Blue Water folks just yet.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:But, hasn't Scott McNeil confirmed himself to be returning?
He has but if they're going to be using actors from Blue Water, it will be a cross-dubbing effort from both Ocean and Blue Water.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Well as far as I know the English dub for the Deltora Quest anime was done by Ocean and Blue Water and that dub didn't seem bad to me.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Blue Water, and Ocean are the same company. It's just that Ocean Studios is located in Vancouver, British Columbia and Blue Water's in Calgary, Alberta. Generally speaking, work that ends up at Blue Water are lower budgeted affairs, though as this project is not solely Blue Water based I suspect it might have some money behind it.
penguintruth wrote:So wait... they're using folks from Blue Water?

Not a good sign.
Karl's probably directing this, and the fact that they found their Goku in Calgary to me implies they spent some time on casting. Not necessarily a bad thing.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 pm

I wonder if that wiki page that listed Kirby Morrow as trunks is true? This confirmation from Brent at least says that the show is at the very least still in production. I was starting to think that maybe it could have got canceled since we havnt heard anything about it for 6 months. Scott Mcneil being the last to say something about it.

Maybe they're finishing up the freeza/namek story arc and will release those while working on the trunks/android/cell story arc. Seeing as how brent says will hear something soon perhaps we can expect to see something for this coming fall season (september?)

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 pm

I'd be okay with Kirby Morrow as Trunks, that'd be much better casting for him than him as Goku. He was awful as Goku.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:37 pm

I doubt Kirby Morrow will be given a different role if he wasn't cast as Goku, but I have to admit, I'd like to see what he could do with Trunks. That actually sounds like a pretty good casting choice.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I doubt Kirby Morrow will be given a different role if he wasn't cast as Goku
Why not?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I doubt Kirby Morrow will be given a different role if he wasn't cast as Goku
Why not?
Well, I said "doubt," not that I definitively know this to be the case. However, here's why I doubt it:

1) He didn't mention auditioning for Trunks. He would have, too, because when he first announced that he wouldn't be reprising Goku because the producers said he sounded "too cool," the guy he was talking to (his co-host?) said something to the effect of, "Are you sure you can say that?" Kirby then replied with, "I didn't sign anything that says I can't talk about this." If he was playing a role, they would have had him sign an NDA.

2) The only reason we would have to believe that he's playing Trunks is from a wiki article. Wiki articles can contain reliable information, but they're not beyond containing inaccurate information. In fact, quite often, they do contain inaccurate information. Let's not forget that this wiki also said that Brina Palencia would be playing Goten in Kai.

3) Personal reasons on his part. Kirby has said that Goku was one of his favorite roles. As an actor, I'd have to imagine it would be pretty difficult, on a personal level, to play the lead role for a few years--a role that you really liked--only for someone to come back and say, "We want someone else...but you can play a different character if you like." It would be kind of like "adding salt to the wound," so to speak.

4) The company probably didn't ask him to play another character, though, because of potential fan fallout from fans who liked Kirby's portrayal of Goku. It's possible that they want to avoid too much hatred from people who would say, "HEY, he's still in the dub, why isn't he playing the character he originally did!?"

I'm pretty certain we won't hear Kirby Morrow in another role in the Ocean dub of Kai, though. Pretty certain. Not completely. We'll find out for sure when the Ocean dub airs, but I'd be shocked if they had him playing a different role.