Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 pm That was when the show started being put together & the voice acting was being recorded in Japan. As far as I've seen, the FUNi dub started sometime in 2014 & finished at some point in 2015 or 2016. I'm not sure which, since some of the actors give different timelines for when their lines got recorded. Like, I've seen stuff said that implied Schemmel was one of the last actors, if not the last, to record his lines for some reason.
I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.
I mean, they clearly got her back for vocal consistency. While they could've gotten McCoy back for it, it'd break vocal consistency within Kai. While it didn't matter that they got Brad Jackson back as Oolong, as Oolong hadn't appeared much in Kai before TFC, 18 had a good amount of lines in the previous arc that it'd be even more obvious. Though that doesn't answer why they didn't get Dameon Clarke back as Cell, or at least Travis Willingham.
If they were so concerned about vocal consistency, I don’t see why they would’ve brought McCoy back to begin with. Clinkenbeard had already been voicing the character for several years at that point.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.
I mean, they clearly got her back for vocal consistency. While they could've gotten McCoy back for it, it'd break vocal consistency within Kai. While it didn't matter that they got Brad Jackson back as Oolong, as Oolong hadn't appeared much in Kai before TFC, 18 had a good amount of lines in the previous arc that it'd be even more obvious. Though that doesn't answer why they didn't get Dameon Clarke back as Cell, or at least Travis Willingham.
If they were so concerned about vocal consistency, I don’t see why they would’ve brought McCoy back to begin with. Clinkenbeard had already been voicing the character for several years at that point.
It's clear that Clinkenbeard was brought in as a temporary replacement. I read that McCoy wasn't readily available when they dubbed Kai originally, but was able to come back by 2014 when they dubbed BOG, unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan should be portrayed, so they had Clinkenbeard take over permanently. And, when I talk about vocal consistency, I mean within the series, not the franchise. It's clear that Sabat most likely prefers McCoy voicing 18, so I'm pretty sure that's why he got her back.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm , unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan
Don’t think that was ever the reason. At least according to Nadolny Funimation is somewhat cliquey and she had a vindictive ex-boyfriend who apparently aired her dirty laundry to her employers.

It was also for the longest time assumed she was let go for her multiple DUIs.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm ...unlike Stephanie Nadolny, who, while we don't know the true circumstances, it seems like she & Sabat had some kind of disagreement with how kid & preteen Gohan...
Don’t think that was ever the reason. At least according to Nadolny Funimation is somewhat cliquey and she had a vindictive ex-boyfriend who apparently aired her dirty laundry to her employers.

It was also for the longest time assumed she was let go for her multiple DUIs.
Ah. I was only going off of stuff that. I've seen on here, which wasn't much.

LegendBroly

Post by LegendBroly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Not the best DBZ game released but a fun one. DBZ kakarot is miles above though

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:41 pm

LegendBroly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm Not the best DBZ game released but a fun one. DBZ kakarot is miles above though
Was this meant to be in a different thread?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 am

Such a shame Kirby Morrow won't get to hear Richard Ian Cox's "uncool" performance as Goku. RIP
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 am Such a shame Kirby Morrow won't get to hear Richard Ian Cox's "uncool" performance as Goku. RIP
uncool?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:30 am

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:46 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 am Such a shame Kirby Morrow won't get to hear Richard Ian Cox's "uncool" performance as Goku. RIP
uncool?
When Kirby Morrow first leaked the news this dub was being made, he said the producers considered him "too cool" to be Goku. Sad he's no longer with us though, he loved playing Goku and I'm sure he would have loved to have heard another take.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:15 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:30 am
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:46 am
uncool?
When Kirby Morrow first leaked the news this dub was being made, he said the producers considered him "too cool" to be Goku. Sad he's no longer with us though, he loved playing Goku and I'm sure he would have loved to have heard another take.
I wish this thing would come out already.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:15 pmI wish this thing would come out already.
The safest bet, for the past couple years, has been that it won't. Kai is just old news at this point, and it'll be an uphill battle to talk any Canadian TV network into airing a show that's old news, even if it is with a dub that we haven't heard yet. There's just not enough interest.

Not to be a downer, of course, but I'm just being realistic.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:03 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:56 pm
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:15 pmI wish this thing would come out already.
The safest bet, for the past couple years, has been that it won't. Kai is just old news at this point, and it'll be an uphill battle to talk any Canadian TV network into airing a show that's old news, even if it is with a dub that we haven't heard yet. There's just not enough interest.

Yeah I know.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm not willing to give up on this dub yet, although I do understand where your coming from. I think in the current time Kai is a tough sell because of all the competition.

Regardless of what some may say about Super it was generally very well liked and a sequel series is highly anticipated by a significant portion of the fandom who are very used to the Funimation cast and may have little, if any memory of the Ocean cast, even in Canada as the series has been off the air for 15 years and Funi's dub is widely available there through home video, video games, recent movie runs, etc. Super also has merchandise in it's favour, which Kai lacked, even when it was new and hot.

That's not to say this dub will never be released. Anything is possible with this franchise, and just by virtue of having the Dragon Ball name, being unreleased and having some original cast members means this dub has value. Most valuable thing a licence holder can brag about? Arguably not, but it has value nonetheless. If Super Dragon Ball Heroes, the Super manga ends, the anime doesn't return and we enter a new drought of new Dragon Ball content, yeah, then would be a far more ideal time for a channel to capitalize on Ocean Kai because it would be the only show in town. Right now it's much more difficult, although not impossible to win a broadcaster over. All we can do is keep seeking out opportunities like WOW, Toon-A-Vision, etc whenever we can.

I do hope one day we will see this dub though. I really, really want to watch it :(

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:14 pm

It’s best bet at ant chance of release is if it somehow it ended up “accidentally” leaking online. At this point a network pick up just isn’t happening

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am

I never cared about a network picking it up, honestly. I don't think that would benefit most people short of having it saved and shared online like what happened with the original Z dub (except, y'know, now it won't sound horrible because technology has changed). But I don't see why it can't be added for streaming. It honestly could potentially not cost them anything (no merchandise production costs). The only issue is: which streaming service would pay the owner(s) for the rights to stream it? If the owner(s) made it super cheap, it could happen. The owner(s) themselves could just put it out there on YouTube or their own website, for example, for free (to them) and require a payment per episode.

The point is that it's the 21st freaking century, so if they wanted it out there, it would be out there. Holding out and blaming the lack of a network deal is a grossly eye-rolling excuse. I could go online right now and post a video of myself staring at a wall -- don't tell me that they don't have a means to distribute it.

If it comes down to money, then look -- you people aren't making crap off of it now anyway. Might as well put it up on YouTube or your own website for $2 an episode or whatever. I'm sorry if it won't be the multi-million dollar TV deal that you were looking for, but keeping it in a vault for 10 years isn't helping its worth.

And that is why I think that it's a dead project. I think they recorded lines from the cast -- maybe not even the entire cast -- and maybe never actually put the finishing touches on it. It could just be a collection of audio files on seone's computer. Either way, I think it's dead and it was a nice dream while it lasted. Thanks for the tease.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am I don't see why it can't be added for streaming. It honestly could potentially not cost them anything (no merchandise production costs). ... The owner(s) themselves could just put it out there on YouTube or their own website, for example, for free (to them) and require a payment per episode.

The point is that it's the 21st freaking century, so if they wanted it out there, it would be out there. Holding out and blaming the lack of a network deal is a grossly eye-rolling excuse. I could go online right now and post a video of myself staring at a wall -- don't tell me that they don't have a means to distribute it.
You're assuming they have the rights to stream content online, which they obviously don't. All streamed Dragon Ball content in North America has obviously gone through Funimation or, at the very least Toei USA. And as for the UK, that's either handled through MangaUK (who are now owned by Funimation no less), Toei Europe or some combination of the two. If the stream rights are fully in the hands of Funimation/MangaUK then they have zero incentive to put this out on streaming anywhere over the Funimation in-house dub.
TV has been the only place other dubs have managed to squeak through, and there are multiple reasons for that.

Pre-production for this dub was evidently started as early as 2009 before streaming services became a common outlet for content, it was obviously made with TV in mind but that option probably lost interest.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am And that is why I think that it's a dead project. I think they recorded lines from the cast -- maybe not even the entire cast -- and maybe never actually put the finishing touches on it. It could just be a collection of audio files on seone's computer. Either way, I think it's dead and it was a nice dream while it lasted. Thanks for the tease.
Obviously false. Non-complete projects don't get certified on the CRTC database.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am I don't see why it can't be added for streaming. It honestly could potentially not cost them anything (no merchandise production costs). ... The owner(s) themselves could just put it out there on YouTube or their own website, for example, for free (to them) and require a payment per episode.

You're assuming they have the rights to stream content online, which they obviously don't. All streamed Dragon Ball content in North America has obviously gone through Funimation or, at the very least Toei USA. And as for the UK, that's either handled through MangaUK (who are now owned by Funimation no less), Toei Europe or some combination of the two. If the stream rights are fully in the hands of Funimation/MangaUK then they have zero incentive to put this out on streaming anywhere over the Funimation in-house dub.
TV has been the only place other dubs have managed to squeak through, and there are multiple reasons for that.

Pre-production for this dub was evidently started as early as 2009 before streaming services became a common outlet for content, it was obviously made with TV in mind but that option probably lost interest.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am And that is why I think that it's a dead project. I think they recorded lines from the cast -- maybe not even the entire cast -- and maybe never actually put the finishing touches on it. It could just be a collection of audio files on seone's computer. Either way, I think it's dead and it was a nice dream while it lasted. Thanks for the tease.
Obviously false. Non-complete projects don't get certified on the CRTC database.
Alright. Well, I'd think that in the 21st century, I'd think they'd hammer out details such as streaming and distribution rights. Why would anyone even start this project -- let alone finish it -- without getting those basics out of the way?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pmWhy would anyone even start this project -- let alone finish it -- without getting those basics out of the way?
That is a wonderful question. As in, you're right, it's a question that should have been figured out beforehand...but, to my utter bafflement, wasn't. Somebody (it's not clear who--yet another question!) literally paid for the dub if a 99-episode TV series. In other words, not only did they pay for the actors, they paid for the director(s), the recording engineers, music composers, and English script writers. All for a dub that will not be seen.

As I've said before, I would totally understand if they paid to have a few episodes dubbed before a deal was secured. Firstly because it would give them something to show interested TV/streaming networks so the networks didn't have to air a show based on blind faith, and secondly because they could then say, "And hey, if you want to start airing it now, go ahead--we've already got a few episodes done." But to literally dub the whole damn show before a deal was secured? Pretty staggering from a financial perspective.

With all that out of the way, though...even though it's still staggering to me, I have since learned it's not that unusual. I took a class on dub script writing not too long ago, and it was taught by a veteran dub director who revealed to me and the rest of the students that, apparently, this happens semi-frequently. He said he has personally directed at least a dozen, fully-produced dubs that never saw the light of day, and by virtue of having a lot of friends in the dubbing community, he's heard of many others through the grapevine. It's hard to fathom, but apparently there are a lot of crazy-rich people in show biz who literally have the money to finance an entire dub and then decide after it's done that they're not interested anymore.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:12 pmWhy would anyone even start this project -- let alone finish it -- without getting those basics out of the way?
That is a wonderful question. As in, you're right, it's a question that should have been figured out beforehand...but, to my utter bafflement, wasn't. Somebody (it's not clear who--yet another question!) literally paid for the dub if a 99-episode TV series. In other words, not only did they pay for the actors, they paid for the director(s), the recording engineers, music composers, and English script writers. All for a dub that will not be seen.

As I've said before, I would totally understand if they paid to have a few episodes dubbed before a deal was secured. Firstly because it would give them something to show interested TV/streaming networks so the networks didn't have to air a show based on blind faith, and secondly because they could then say, "And hey, if you want to start airing it now, go ahead--we've already got a few episodes done." But to literally dub the whole damn show before a deal was secured? Pretty staggering from a financial perspective.

With all that out of the way, though...even though it's still staggering to me, I have since learned it's not that unusual. I took a class on dub script writing not too long ago, and it was taught by a veteran dub director who revealed to me and the rest of the students that, apparently, this happens semi-frequently. He said he has personally directed at least a dozen, fully-produced dubs that never saw the light of day, and by virtue of having a lot of friends in the dubbing community, he's heard of many others through the grapevine. It's hard to fathom, but apparently there are a lot of crazy-rich people in show biz who literally have the money to finance an entire dub and then decide after it's done that they're not interested anymore.
It just seems insane to me. And financially irresponsible. I understand dubbing -- let say -- 25+ episodes because once it gets the green light, you want to be able to go from the start. But 99 episodes? That's lunacy.

I'm just curious who this was, honestly. Also, I mentioned earlier that these could've been just audio files on someone's computer and not synced up, etc. and NitroEX pointed out that it was certified by the CRTC. I mean... couldn't they just do a pilot episode or a handful of them for that certification? I honestly cannot imagine how anyone with any sort of real experience would do all of that with to the end without any means of profiting off of the series. This was a project that has literally lost them money that they have no way of recouping. And knowing ahead of time that they didn't secure a distribution (AT LEAST) deal and still going through with it, means that someone irresponsibly failed to mitigate those losses.

Just sounds like really stupid business practice.

Now, they're out here shopping for a TV deal -- 21st century, they're looking for a TV deal rather than streaming... -- 10 years after the fact on a property that has already been fully dubbed in the same language and is more easily accessible than herpes. No kidding they didn't have luck. Kai itself at this point is kind of a dead property. I'm really down that it didn't get released, but I realize that there would be such a tiny niche audience for this, that it really doesn't warrant any real financial investment by TV companies.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:44 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 am

If I was rich, I wonder if I could possibly be able to get season 4 of GX and all of the undubbed episodes of 5DS dubbed in English by the 4Kids voice casts? Man that would be so cool.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku