Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:06 pm

I have no problem with accents as long as the voice fits (which Jheese's English voice does).
AgitoZ wrote:
dagame10k wrote:As for the use of accents, there is nothing wrong with it, it's no worse than every character universally understanding/speaking one language, there is nothing wrong with adding some dimension to the show.
How do accents add "dimension" to the show?
Maybe because its something different? Like a moe girl anime that has at least one girl that sounds mature instead of them all sounding like three year olds hyped up on candy and soda.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 pm

My problem with the accent is that there's no reason for it. It doesn't add dimension or anything. The character didn't speak abnormally in the original version. I wouldn't have a problem if that was the actual accent of the voice actor, and speaking in a way comfortable for them was how they got their best acting results, but that hasn't been the case.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 pm

batistabus wrote:My problem with the accent is that there's no reason for it. It doesn't add dimension or anything. The character didn't speak abnormally in the original version. I wouldn't have a problem if that was the actual accent of the voice actor, and speaking in a way comfortable for them was how they got their best acting results, but that hasn't been the case.
Yeah, it's like them saying that Jeice was too bland, so they needed to make him more interesting by giving him a random accent. As said before, I don't believe it's the job of the dubbing company to "improve" and change the anime.

In any case, if this dub isn't getting a DVD/BD release, then chances are it will have a replacement score. I can't imagine them licensing the Kikuchi music simply for a TV airing.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 pm

It'll probably get a DVD/BRD release, hopefully as I'll be buying it.
All I want to know is when are they going to start airing it..
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:It'll probably get a DVD/BRD release
Why do you think that? The later seasons of the Ocean dub of DBZ never received a release. In North America, it's likely that only Funimation's produced dub would be available.

If it does get released on physical media (which I doubt), I'd be willing to buy it and check it out, but I have a hard time believing that will be the case.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:It'll probably get a DVD/BRD release
Why do you think that? The later seasons of the Ocean dub of DBZ never received a release. In North America, it's likely that only Funimation's produced dub would be available.

If it does get released on physical media (which I doubt), I'd be willing to buy it and check it out, but I have a hard time believing that will be the case.
Me too. I get the impression that this new dub of Kai, like the Westwood dub of Z, will be a TV-only dub. One that I'm very excited to see, certainly, but not one that I expect to own. I get the impression that everybody outside of Canada is going to be watching it the same way I will be--scattered YouTube clips.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 am

Probably but we can hope to get a release.. or beg for one :/

So it's not odd to have every character speak in a mid-western/North American accent? So to you guys, Lets say if it were to be dubbed by Aussies or Scots or even Brits, would it be okay if all the characters had British-type accents?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:57 am

I actually don't mind diverse accents in something like Dragon Ball, what with the amount of Alien creatures and others similar.

It gives some sort of variety to the characters. Not everyone is going to sound the same so why not mix it up a bit?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 am

Gonstead wrote:I actually don't mind diverse accents in something like Dragon Ball, what with the amount of Alien creatures and others similar.

It gives some sort of variety to the characters. Not everyone is going to sound the same so why not mix it up a bit?
That's how I feel. It seems many people think if one speaks English it should sound like an AMERICAN!

AMERICAA! 8)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 am

No. Accents are unnecessary and feel out of place. If they want voices to sound differently, they'll make the voices sound differently.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 am

So,
to you guys, Lets say if it were to be dubbed by Aussies or Scots or even Brits, would it be okay if all the characters had British-type accents?
Would you, AgitoZ, hate your shows to sound like that?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:49 am

Attitudefan wrote:Probably but we can hope to get a release.. or beg for one :/

So it's not odd to have every character speak in a mid-western/North American accent? So to you guys, Lets say if it were to be dubbed by Aussies or Scots or even Brits, would it be okay if all the characters had British-type accents?
It has nothing to do with the accent, it's that they're getting a Canadian man to use a foreign accent because they think it for some reason suits the character. If there was a consistent British dub where everyone had British accents, I'd be fine with that.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 am

Right. Jeese isn't meant to sound out of place. The problem isn't that they don't sound "American", it's that he sounds out of place for no reason, and the voice actor doesn't even have that accent. If you're going to use the "aliens should sound diverse" line, then there should be more than one with an accent.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:23 am

For your information, Burter occasionally speaks in a feminine way in the original Japanese version.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 am

Well... maybe there is?

Okay, I am glad that we got the accent point across!

To be honest, I really like Scott's Jiece because I find it convincing. The accent doesn't sound bad, it actually sounds pretty legit. Zarbon had an accent just to remind you guys.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 am

kei17 wrote:For your information, Burter occasionally speaks in a feminine way in the original Japanese version.
Wow, I can't believe I haven't picked that up before. O.o Time to rewatch the Namek arc, I'd say!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:33 am

kei17 wrote:For your information, Burter occasionally speaks in a feminine way in the original Japanese version.
Really? Well, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but out of curiosity, is that the reasoning behind Team Four Star's joke in episode 25, around 4:27?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:35 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Really? Well, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but out of curiosity, is that the reasoning behind Team Four Star's joke in episode 25, around 4:27?
I thought that had to do with Kaizer playing Burter??

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:53 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Wow, I can't believe I haven't picked that up before. O.o Time to rewatch the Namek arc, I'd say!
Maybe "occasionally" was sort of exaggerated, but he really speaks that way.

"Darashinai wa ne. Ginyu Tokusentai no haji sarashi jan."
http://www.4shared.com/video/jjaK5BHU/burter.html

This way of talking is called "onee kotoba", which literally means "drag queen language".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:07 am

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Maybe "occasionally" was sort of exaggerated, but he really speaks that way.

"Darashinai wa ne. Ginyu Tokusentai no haji sarashi jan."
http://www.4shared.com/video/jjaK5BHU/burter.html

This way of talking is called "onee kotoba", which literally means "drag queen language".
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I half-expect Iwata Mitsuo to start voicing him now!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter