Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Daizenshuu EX front page quote wrote:I'd like to mention that a show is coming back... a little-known show called DragonBall Z.

It's already been released in Texas, they're recording it in Texas, it's known, it's on the Internet. DragonBall Z Kai is being recorded in Texas by the crew in Texas for release only in America, and we're doing a dub in Canada.

It's already being recorded in Texas, they're talking about it and everything else at the cons, but ya' know, I did well over 100 episodes, three years of recording as the main character, Goku... and a new company has the project, and they think I might not be right for the role. I sound, in their words, "too cool", to be Goku.
Looks like the rumors are a'swirl again...except now we have confirmation via the fourth adult Gokû up in Canada (well, third if you don't count the brief stint the FUNimation in-house episodes had).

This...is going to be an interesting ride.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Soul » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Really? I don't understand.. Why can't they air the FUNi dub in Canada? Gah.
If they can't get Corlett get frickin' Kelamis.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Soul wrote:Really? I don't understand.. Why can't they air the FUNi dub in Canada? Gah.
If they can't get Corlett get frickin' Kelamis.
1. I believe the Canadians hate FUNimation, for a number of reasons.
2. Corlett can't be bothered for peanuts and Kelamis seems to be focusing on his comedy...at least he was went he left the role nine years ago.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Well Canadian stations need to air a certain amount of Canadian content and I guess since Ocean Studios does the dub for Europe then YTV figures they will use the Ocean dub? I don't understand either and it just causes confusion for people who were introduced to Dragon Ball through Canadian television who then buy/rent the DVDs/Blu-rays. It happened to me years ago when I rented Dragon Ball and was wondering what was wrong with the voices (especially Kuririn). Especially, if Ocean really does choose to change the music also.

Either, way I am really glad if this rumor is true it will be coming to Canadian television for those who do not have access to CW.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Weird, I remember clearly the FUNi dub airing on YTV when I was a kid... I don't see why they can't simply use that..

Well let's hope Ocean uses accurate scripts this time around

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 pm

MetalMadness wrote:Weird, I remember clearly the FUNi dub airing on YTV when I was a kid... I don't see why they can't simply use that..

Well let's hope Ocean uses accurate scripts this time around
Part of the Funimation dub for Dragon Ball Z did air on YTV. When I watched it though in the middle of the Cell Games the dub switched over to Ocean (I remember because I hated the new voices). It stayed as the Ocean dub up until the end of the Kid Buu Saga.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Oh goody, it's gonna be a brand new start for the whole FUNi vs Ocean, "my dub is better!" malarkey (though not on this esteemed website... I hope). Though this time, at least one, potentially both, of the dubs will actually be good.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm looking forward to Tanooki's voice comparisons...

...being announced so I could look forward to Tanooki's voice comparisons...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Could this mean a UK release?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm a little confused, Yuugi. Who exactly are you quoting in your first post? It says that "VegettoEX" wrote it, but I'm pretty sure Mike has yet to play Goku in any form (though he does make a great Appule).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I'm a little confused, Yuugi. Who exactly are you quoting in your first post? It says that "VegetoEX" wrote it, but I'm pretty sure Mike has yet to play Goku in any form (though he does make a great Appule).
Kirby Morrow was the one who said it in some radio show.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

SSJSteve wrote:Could this mean a UK release?
Yes, the Ocean dub is for the Canadian and European (English speaking parts) release of Dragon Ball "Z" Kai. I am guessing it won't air until 2011 maybe but I am going to be sure to watch it on YTV when it does air.

Edit: Kirby Morrow said it on his podcast somewhere near the beginning. Its the latest episode.

http://www.trevordevall.com/
Last edited by PuppetDoctor on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Whoops. Somehow that made more sense in my head. Anyhow, I changed the quoted name. ~_~
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Whoops. Somehow that made more sense in my head. Anyhow, I changed the quoted name. ~_~
No worries, I only got confused because I actually read this thread before I read the main page today.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Sure, this may start another dub war, but we all know which version is truly best.

Big Green dub..
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Why does Europe have to use a Canadian dub? Why can't they use the American dub? I'm not insulting anything, I'm just honestly curious as to the reason for that.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:06 pm

I heard Trevor say in there briefly that he was up for one of the characters. Having a new cast built from the ground up could be pretty interesting with all of the actors that studio has now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Though if this is also what Sean was making reference to a while back, I'm hoping we WON'T have different background music and stupid additional sound effects thrown in for the sake of nothing like he mentioned.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Kirbopher wrote:I heard Trevor say in there briefly that he was up for one of the characters. Having a new cast built from the ground up could be pretty interesting with all of the actors that studio has now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Though if this is also what Sean was making reference to a while back, I'm hoping we WON'T have different background music and stupid additional sound effects thrown in for the sake of nothing like he mentioned.
Considering you have an 'in' with the crew down at FUNi do you think you can get any clear details on why this is happening?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm praying for 'Kikoho'.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:24 pm

As much as I like some of the core cast of the Ocean dub (Kelamis, Klassen, Drummond, McNeil, Lindbjerg), I can only imagine this new Ocean dub will create a further rift in the fan community. I don't know what kind of bug in their ass the Canadians have about Funimation, but the Kai dub they're doing is probably as good as it's going to get for an English dub of this material, and if Schemmel's talk about replacement music is true, this dub is just going to drag some of my favorite VAs through the mud of failure.

Well, at least get a good Goku in there. I love Kirby Morrow as a VA, but he's just too smooth.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?