Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:14 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm Something cool just happened!

So I just messaged Lee Tockar and asked if, since so much time has passed, if he could show me what his Frieza sounded like. He recorded a 10 second clip of him doing the voice and sent it to me. Very cool!

Is there a way I can post it here? He gave me the go ahead.
You could upload it to Google drive :D

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:30 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm Is there a way I can post it here? He gave me the go ahead.
Soundcloud, vocaroo and archive.org are all options.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Okay I'm going to try and get it up. For reference, it sounds like a cross between Mark Hamill's Joker and the Blue Water DBGT Frieza.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:57 pm

That sounds great, thanks for asking him TVfan721. Check your DMs.

I'm not familiar with Soundcloud, or vocaroo.

archive.org would be good though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:35 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm Something cool just happened!

So I just messaged Lee Tockar and asked if, since so much time has passed, if he could show me what his Frieza sounded like. He recorded a 10 second clip of him doing the voice and sent it to me. Very cool!

Is there a way I can post it here? He gave me the go ahead.
Amazing! Can't wait to hear it if you manage to upload it!

I've actively stopped pursuing for now, but I damn well keep my silent faith that one day, some way, something will happen for us Ocean fans.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:02 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble extracting it from the Facebook messenger chat as he sent it as a voice clip. If you're comfortable doing so, you can PM me your Facebook and I can send it to you there (you don't have to add me as a friend for me to send it)

I'm hoping someone more tech savy than me can find a way to extract it as an mp3.

I've been a member here for over 12 years (June 2009) so I hope you can trust that I'm legit and not going to give you a virus or something!

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:02 am

Done! Courtesy of NitroEX who was a huge help!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:15 am

Interesting. It has less of the Madman vibe that we heard in Tockar's recent YouTube interview, and more of a spoiled brat (which is also fitting for the character). Although since Tockar said he tore his vocal chords to shreds I don't blame him taking it easy on this one off clip. I can definitely hear some Jennifer Bain influence in there, as well as Mark Hamill's Joker. I'll reserve final judgement until the day I hear the full performance, but I could see that voice working for Freeza.

Thanks again for sorting this out TVfan721, and NitroEx for helping with the Google Drive.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:30 am

Mmmm. It’s a 10 second clip done as a favor for a fan so it’s probably not the best way to gage a performance. But honestly, I’m really not a fan. Sounds far more like a one off henchman (in an abridged parody) than an actual big bad. I also don’t get Mark Hamill Joker vibes at all from that clip.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 pm

I actually can hear some Mark Hamill influence in that voice.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:51 pm

I regret listening to that audio clip.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:20 am

That voice sounds nothing like Freeza at all :sick: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:20 am That voice sounds nothing like Freeza at all :sick: .
Or even a good performance. If that’s the indicator of what Tokar was going to sound like I’d rather have Pauline Newstone reprise the role. Horribly miscast and not suited for Freeza but a good “Saturday Morning Cartoon evil alien villain”’ voice.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:29 pm

Listened to the audio clip, and yeah like those above said i didn't really hear Freeza in Tockar's voice. That sounds closer to "generic alien villain voice" than "sadistic cruel refined tyrant" which the latter definitely comes through with Chris Ayers much more.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:37 pm

I noticed that there are now enough English Freeza voices to theoretically have each of the transformations voiced by different actors. Although, some I wouldn't consider viable contenders due to misdirection (Kevin Seymour, Ed Marcus & Jennifer Bain).

Putting aside the voices that were derivative of previous actors (Daman Mills & Linda Young), I think these remaining four could work well together without the reliance on voice filters:
1st form: Pauline Newstone
2nd form: Christopher Ayres / Derek Stephen Prince
3rd form: Lee Tockar
Final form: Derek Stephen Prince / Christopher Ayres

(Yes, this is totally hypothetical and would never happen. But it is fun to think about)

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:06 pm

Hmmm, same line as in the interview. Definitely the line he uses to get into the character. I would rather an actual line from one of his more earnest moments. Definitely got Hamill vibes on the laugh.

It's definitely in another direction from Ayres. Beach himself preferred Ayres performance. I still want to hear it, I don't care all that much based on such a small, specific preview.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:22 pm

SX10 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:06 pmIt's definitely in another direction from Ayres. Beach himself preferred Ayres performance. I still want to hear it, I don't care all that much based on such a small, specific preview.
I think the interesting thing about this Kai dub is that while the usual naysayers will be expecting an inferior knockoff to the Funimation dub, there's no reason to expect it would be. Considering this dub was produced around the same time as Funimation's Kai dub, or potentially even earlier it's unlikely the directors would have heard Ayres' performance, or Schemmel's Kai-era work as Goku for example, and would have their own idea for where they wanted to take the performances. If any voices in the Ocean Kai dub are eerily similar to what Funimation did (which I doubt they will) it would be entirely coincidental, and not due to any inspiration being gained from Funimation's dub. I'm sure this won't stop some fans trying to argue Ocean were ripping off Funimation, but I have every reason to suspect this will not be the case.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm

While I do agree that Tokar's voice and performance are likely much better in the dub itself rather than in isolated one-off clips done for fans, I have to admit that neither of the samples we've heard haven't exactly instilled confidence. It's like he's trying to balance between the lizard-like Newstone/Young/Bain precedent and the more aristocratic take from the Japanese version and it just isn't coming together. If I remember DSP's performance in BZ Super correctly, he had similar issue but struck the balance a bit better than Tokar here. I do remember DSP being much better in the show proper than in the samples he gave prior to the episodes' release, though, so there's still hope for Tokar. Either way, I don't think anyone is going to top Ayres/Mills anytime soon.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 pm

Tockar's voice here isn't something he's come up with for Kai, nor was it inspired by anything Funimation were doing, it's a spin on one of his older voices. This casting was likely not motivated with trying to match Ryūsei Nakao or Ayres, it seems to have been a deliberate deviation to give off a more sinister and alien feel, however, we've only heard yelling in these clips so I'm more curious about what his casual speaking sounds like. It's most likely still very close to the raspy voice of Half-Life but the characterisation and cadence would be different to better match Freeza's bratty and snooty personality. I'm also curious if the speaking is higher pitched or not. At any rate, I think what I've heard of it does work for the second and third forms at least, and whatever he does will in my opinion be better than Linda Young (for what that's worth) just off the strength of performance alone. It would be nice to hear more sound clips from him but there unfortunately isn't much point as people will only continue to judge without proper context.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Can someone post a link of the first time Lee showcased the voice? I wasn't aware of this.