Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by B » Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, so that must mean it is or has been rescored. Haven't most companies stopped doing that nowadays?
It's not like there is a deluge of companies releasing anime these days, and even less than that are making dubs/putting it on TV.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Wow, Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell? Honestly, I prefer them over Yamamoto and Sumitomo.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri May 23, 2014 6:42 pm

I haven't seen the later Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Z, but I have seen Mega Man, where that music comes from. Honestly, I can say the music was one of the good things about the show. Also thought their work on MegaMan NT Warrior was decent enough. I kind of thought replacement scores were a thing of the past, but then again, I can understand them in this situation. The only alternative being misplaced Kikuchi tracks for the majority of the series.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 pm

sangofe wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I usually get a bit peeved when someone bumps this thread without any news. So here's some "news" (it's seemingly not very new):

http://anitunes.ca/credits.htm

AniTunes is a Canadian music production company for TV shows. It's attached to Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell.

I'd ignore the listed broadcaster and episode order.
Does the tag "US" mean that they're using FUNimation's version?
No, the US tag means they are under the impression that the show would air on Cartoon Network in the US. That's obviously a mistake.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun May 25, 2014 2:58 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I usually get a bit peeved when someone bumps this thread without any news. So here's some "news" (it's seemingly not very new):

http://anitunes.ca/credits.htm

AniTunes is a Canadian music production company for TV shows. It's attached to Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell.

I'd ignore the listed broadcaster and episode order.
Does the tag "US" mean that they're using FUNimation's version?
No, the US tag means they are under the impression that the show would air on Cartoon Network in the US. That's obviously a mistake.
Or it means that that Cartoon Network is an American company, which as an outlet of Turner Broadcasting, which is a subsidiary of Time Warner, is correct.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 25, 2014 11:29 am

Blade wrote:Or it means that that Cartoon Network is an American company, which as an outlet of Turner Broadcasting, which is a subsidiary of Time Warner, is correct.
Did you not notice the Deltora Quest and Flash & Dash listings specifying CN Aus and CN UK?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:47 pm

It would be interesting if Cartoon Network U.S got the rights to Ocean Kai, maybe as an exclusive just for have DB on toonami again while Nick can still have FUNi Kai? But since ocean did the edits, we could assume it will be edited? It's Kix all over again.

Edit: just saw the FUNi tweet. Surprised Nick would let it go, I thought it did fairly well on there?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 25, 2014 1:45 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Edit: just saw the FUNi tweet. Surprised Nick would let it go, I thought it did fairly well on there?
Do we know for a fact that Nicktoons let it go? Maybe Toonami got the rights to the uncut version to air late and night, and Nicktoons will continue to air an edited version.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Well if they're using the Keenlyside music again I hope it's more of the Monster Rancher music used in the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas rather than the awful Megaman music used for the Android-Fat buu sagas.

If CN US do air Kai in Ocean dub it'll be interesting to see the reaction. Kai already gets loads of hate for changing some of the voices so imagine the reaction to an all new Goku. Honestly if this dub is going to air I don't see when else it could be.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 25, 2014 4:18 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well if they're using the Keenlyside music again I hope it's more of the Monster Rancher music used in the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas rather than the awful Megaman music used for the Android-Fat buu sagas.
But the Army/Awakening theme should be kept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNcaealm7Q
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 25, 2014 4:26 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Well if they're using the Keenlyside music again I hope it's more of the Monster Rancher music used in the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas rather than the awful Megaman music used for the Android-Fat buu sagas.

Only if it's used in moderation and not constantly played throughout every episode like in the Android and Cell sagas.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:28 pm

What I don't understand is how a company can decide to just reuse music from other shows.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 25, 2014 6:00 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Only if it's used in moderation and not constantly played throughout every episode like in the Android and Cell sagas.
Of course. Just for a few epic moments.
linkdude20002001 wrote:What I don't understand is how a company can decide to just reuse music from other shows.
Maybe they have it as stock music? I've heard the same track in a few TV series.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun May 25, 2014 6:02 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:

It would be a nice throwback if they completely redid some of the old tracks like this one in a more modern style while also adding new music to the mix to keep things fresh. I think a nice mixture of track placement similar to the westwood dub along with composed music for important scenes like Trunks' first appearance and Gohan's SS2 transformation would be a good way to do things.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm hoping they compose all new tracks, I'd prefer they drift away from the reused music. Didn't really fit at all in my opinion from the multiple clips of the Westwood dub I've seen.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:40 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Maybe they have it as stock music? I've heard the same track in a few TV series.
I still don't understand. Lol. Stock music's fine for an advertizement, but not for a show...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun May 25, 2014 7:09 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I still don't understand. Lol. Stock music's fine for an advertizement, but not for a show...
I agree...but, on the other hand, as you know, the Westwood dub was never released on DVD, so this is an opportunity to finally enjoy the Keenlyside & Mitchell works with a clean sound ! Although I'm very grateful to the people who share their "archives", I'm tired of watching bootlegs. :lol:

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Is there any news yet on this dub?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 am

SSJ3_Zack wrote:Is there any news yet on this dub?
Let's put it this way. This thread has developed something of a "circle of life" in that there are stages it goes through in a cyclical nature. Here's how it goes...

Stage 1: Nugget of news about some small detail about the dub.
Stage 2: An explosion of discussion about the small detail
Stage 3: Discussion drifts away from the small detail and slowly transitions to a discussion about the old Ocean dub and the performances of the actors in it.
Stage 4: Discussion slowly dies down.
Stage 5: A "Dead Zone" (heh, see what I did there?) time period passes in which nobody posts anything.

Then when the next bit of news comes, it reverts to Stage 1, and the cycle continues. All that to say that right now, we're still in a Stage 5. As soon as things revert to Stage 1 again, this thread will grow by a few pages within a day.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Then when the next bit of news comes, it reverts to Stage 1, and the cycle continues. All that to say that right now, we're still in a Stage 5. As soon as things revert to Stage 1 again, this thread will grow by a few pages within a day.
Unless of course the next tidbit is actually something along the lines of 'IT'S COMING OUT ON MONTH/DAY/YEAR!', at which point the entire thread explodes and takes out an entire chunk of the forum in the process. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)