Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:03 pm

SX10 wrote:THIS fan base did that. Us (and ToonBarn).
I apologize for being out of the loop, but who/what is ToonBarn?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:THIS fan base did that. Us (and ToonBarn).
I apologize for being out of the loop, but who/what is ToonBarn?
I don't know them really, but it was the first twitter account to congratulate Marni on her new job role with Wow! and simultaneously suggest she acquire Ocean dub Kai. Even linked her to the lost wiki page. It all went from there.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 pm

SX10 wrote:
MistaL wrote:Marni said she's gonna ask for the cast list next time she talks to Toei or Ocean and will possibly share it with us!
Hot damn! Marni's cool response seems very reassuring! However, I doubt they will be willing to divulge that or even allow Marni to share it publicly just yet.

It hits me every time how amazing it is that she is in direct talks with the correct people on this. THIS fan base did that. Us (and ToonBarn). Be proud guys!
I definitely appreciate Marni willing to be proactive and look into things, but likewise I have my doubts Ocean would be willing to provide that information. From what we know Richard Ian Cox's casting as Goku was meant to be a huge secret, unless when Marni shares her Tweet lines up with when the producers of this dub want it to become public knowledge I don't see how this could work out. Fingers crossed anyway, it will be nice to finally have a full cast list.

Overall, none of this would have been possible if ToonBarn hadn't reached out to Marni in the first place, so definitely proud of the strides we've made towards (hopefully) getting this dub released.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Quite frankly, even if this dub doesn't get released, I think Marni is awesome just for trying. Just like the fans who encouraged her!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Quite frankly, even if this dub doesn't get released, I think Marni is awesome just for trying. Just like the fans who encouraged her!
Yeah, I love Marni. She does her best and trys to get things done.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am

I wonder if the guy still has some copy of the opening. From what I've heard in that clip, it sounds good.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 am

Tian wrote:
I wonder if the guy still has some copy of the opening. From what I've heard in that clip, it sounds good.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, the short show reel clip sounds better. It doesn't strike me as being any more or less than Dragon Soul is (Dragon Soul is okay and a little catchy but I don't love it).

Actually, my lowest expectation for Ocean Kai is the intro theme. There's just a high chance it could be bland or throw the show name at us lyrically over and over again, or just not be very good. That's the only occasion where the Westwood dub really haunts me.

So long as it has lyrics that make sense and nails the tone of the show - as every intro should do :lol: - I'll be alright.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

It would be nice to hear some of the replacement score

The one time its perfectly acceptable to have a replacement score in an anime dub

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:It would be nice to hear some of the replacement score

The one time its perfectly acceptable to have a replacement score in an anime dub
One of the few good things to come out of the Music Scandal is that it has made me far more receptive to a replacement score. For that matter, even if the replacement score isn't good, I'd still watch this dub and just learn to tolerate it like I learned to tolerate the Kikuchi-Kai score (I love Kikuchi in general, and was actually excited at first to hear about it being re-used in high fidelity for Kai...but the limited selections--not to mention the repetitive and horrendous placement choices--ruined it).

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Cancon isn't the only reason for a new score, given that Funi used Yamamto and Kikuchi replacement, a second English dub would have to change music just to differentiate itself to begin with.

The music scandal really HAS made it entirely acceptable.

From the descriptions I have heard before it should be good. Fans were urged to give it a chance as it might not be exactly like the Japanese score they are used to (obviously).

Given how particular the producers have been with casting and pronounciations, I am sure the music at least fits the show well.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

One of the few good things to come out of the Music Scandal is that it has made me far more receptive to a replacement score. For that matter, even if the replacement score isn't good, I'd still watch this dub and just learn to tolerate it like I learned to tolerate the Kikuchi-Kai score (I love Kikuchi in general, and was actually excited at first to hear about it being re-used in high fidelity for Kai...but the limited selections--not to mention the repetitive and horrendous placement choices--ruined it).
The use of Kikuchi’s music in Kai is damn close to unlistenable to me. Big lesson in its not what you have but how you use it. Pretty sure they picked like a dozen cues and just threw darts.

And we know they’re not going to/allowed to use The Yamamoto score. A replacement score really is the best option

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:46 pm

This dub certainly has a solid excuse for using a replacement score, but it still seems a little odd that they apparently planned on using one even before the Yamamoto scandal came to light.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote:This dub certainly has a solid excuse for using a replacement score, but it still seems a little odd that they apparently planned on using one even before the Yamamoto scandal came to light.
Probably because its cheaper to do a replacement score than use the original. Lets not forget we know Funimation and Ocean collaborated on the Nicktoons version of Kai. Maybe there was originally plans for that edited Funi dub to use Ocean's replacement score. For all we know it could have been pitched way back in 2009. In retrospect, Funimation obviously would have turned down the idea because we all know their current stance on replacement scores, but it would certainly help this dub make the producers some money (which they certainly could have used after all this time to justify the investment at all) and explain how Schemmel heard the score in the first place.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:The use of Kikuchi’s music in Kai is damn close to unlistenable to me. Big lesson in its not what you have but how you use it. Pretty sure they picked like a dozen cues and just threw darts.
Well, in fairness to Toei, apparently the problem was that they only had access to a few tracks. I....vaaaaguely remember reading something about how they could only use stereo tracks and not mono tracks (I could be completely wrong here though, like I said, my memory is vague as hell on that point). Either way, you're right, it was a phenomenal lesson in how the placement of music tracks can affect your opinion of the overall score. It really is how you use it!
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Probably because its cheaper to do a replacement score than use the original.
Not only cheaper, but depending on the legal setup, even profitable. FUNimation CEO Gen Fukunaga once said that they could charge royalties for literally every second of music used (which also explains why both of their replacement scores were more or less non-stop in their usage of music).

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Watch some of the other shows Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell have composed the music for. LBX, Scan2Go, Deltora Quest, etc. almost certainly have tracks that you'll also hear in Kai.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:

Watch some of the other shows Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell have composed the music for. LBX, Scan2Go, Deltora Quest, etc. almost certainly have tracks that you'll also hear in Kai.
Come on, surely not, the least they can do is compose new tracks from scratch. If they do it for the most part with these shows why not Kai? The only reason I am afraid they will do it is because many others automatically assume they will.

This isn't Westwood Z anymore.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

It's been years since this dub was finished. What makes you think they haven't already recycled any original tracks they composed for Kai in other projects?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 pm

SX10 wrote:Cancon isn't the only reason for a new score, given that Funi used Yamamto and Kikuchi replacement, a second English dub would have to change music just to differentiate itself to begin with.
For the most part, Funi OG DB and BW OG DB had the same score (with the exception being that sometimes the former had insert songs the latter lacked, and sometimes the latter used the Mega Man score to fill in gaps where insert songs would have been). AFAIK BW GT didn't use a replacement score at all. Granted, Funi did use a replacement score for its dub of GT, but "differentiation" of dub music had nothing to do with anything AFAIK.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:

So any tracks from those shows that sounds like it could be from Teen Titans or other DC cartoons :think:

If I had the time I'd check out some of those shows to speculate which songs we'll hear in Kai.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 am

I quickly scoured some "episode 1 English dub" videos for those and LBX uses the Westwood dub score mainly, the others sound good, I haven't heard them before. Do they recycle music from unpaired shows? I know it sounds like a plan because it saves them time, effort and money, but no one gave up on trying to air Kai.