Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 11; Still Unreleased

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Couple requests as some of these latest posts roll in to head some things off at the pass:

Please don't be a weirdo.

Please do not use the name Kanzenshuu in any of your potential contact with these companies and organizations. You do not speak for us, you do not represent us, and I have no desire to get involved in any way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:31 pm

Even if it does come out I'll be shocked if people actually buy it instead of pirating it. Given the amount of people that actually like kai

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:01 pm

Inkei9001 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:31 pm Even if it does come out I'll be shocked if people actually buy it instead of pirating it.
Judging by this response you haven't done any research on this topic.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:13 pm

I must add too because the question has been raised yet again as to why do we need another dub of Kai when you can always watch the Japanese version.

Here's my answer - I like seeing different versions of this show I love. I have seen Kai in Japanese and with Funimation's dub and I greatly appreciate the work put in to both of them by their respective voice casts. It's not about disliking one and seeking an alternative, it's about getting to watch multiple versions of Kai and seeing the good aspects in all of them, for the Ocean dub specifically, because its never been released that means experiencing Kai again in a new way - in my case, with the cast I, and several others in this thread grew up on and still love to this day.

Likewise when Super was first being released I watched it in Japanese, I also watched both the Funimation and Bang Zoom dubs as both dubs, while not flawless had much to like as there were great performances in them, but it was great being able to see the show three different ways (although with Bang Zoom not for long as it only reached episode 27).

Some might say it's crazy because why would you need to watch the same show so many times? Truth be told I wouldn't do it with many shows, but Dragon Ball is a show I've had a special fondness for most of my life now, and one of the few I'm willing to watch over and over because it always brings me joy, especially when it's another brand new take, and that's what Ocean Kai will be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:28 pm

*this posted early & I'm not seeing an option to delete it*
Last edited by SX10 on Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm Couple requests as some of these latest posts roll in to head some things off at the pass:

Please don't be a weirdo.

Please do not use the name Kanzenshuu in any of your potential contact with these companies and organizations. You do not speak for us, you do not represent us, and I have no desire to get involved in any way.
Can confirm, to my knowledge, that none of us have ever mentioned Kanzenshuu during any correspondence with these people, it would be completely irrelevant to the topic.

Side note: regarding the the screenshots of what I had said in private to others on discord, my intention was not to reveal that side of things here, because it's absolutely no one's place to splurge their beliefs on a public forum, no matter what those beliefs are or how justified they feel in doing so.

I hadn't the chance to respond here in my own words yet and thing is, it was my experience and it meant something to me, so yeah, I have conviction in my hopeful, speculative, prediction.

From a lot of the correspondence we have had, we know for sure there ARE interested parties in the product and that while Ken Morrison and Ocean have other pressing business with more recent shows, they are still somewhat keen to see the show released. The dates that I came across seem to coincide with the end of/ beginning of the 3rd/4th quarter of any companies business year and I'm sure September was floated around in previous years as a strong candidate for possible air date of acquired.

But you know what? Noticed a lot of excitement and speculative talk around here again since then, seems pretty positive to me.

Also saw some sorry attempts at trying to knock the wind out of people's sails as well. Be bitter all you want, it doesn't change a thing.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm

johnny1132 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm
Venny wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:54 pm
SX10 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:30 pm 22nd September to 22nd October 2022 - I am convinced.
Don't fall for this. This guy believes in a bunch of weird spiritual mumbo jumbo and is using an app to predict when Ocean Kai will be released believing it's telling the truth
I've never seen coping this hard in my entire life
The app is just a fun little tool that assists in giving the user greater focus. It really does very little because apart from that it does absolutely nothing else. Maybe a little focus and awareness would do you guys some good?

johnny1132

Post by johnny1132 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:00 pm

SX10 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm
johnny1132 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm
Venny wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:54 pm

Don't fall for this. This guy believes in a bunch of weird spiritual mumbo jumbo and is using an app to predict when Ocean Kai will be released believing it's telling the truth
I've never seen coping this hard in my entire life
The app is just a fun little tool that assists in giving the user greater focus. It really does very little because apart from that it does absolutely nothing else. Maybe a little focus and awareness would do you guys some good?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 pm

Single-image responses are not appropriate and may garner you an account strike. Please review the community guidelines, which you agreed to twice before registering, before making additional posts.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

2quid

Post by 2quid » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:55 am

Inkei9001 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:59 pm Plus most the people that actually buy dragon ball stuff are FUNination Stans who wouldn't but anything else
Amazing how almost every word in this post just straight up isn't true. Everyone who's been a positive part of this thread has contributed massively over the years to uncovering something huge, the achievements are not to be sniffed at at all. It's fine to show a little skepticism, but there are people on this thread being straight up rude and dismissive towards users who have actually done a lot for DB! Even if this turns out to be a lost dub, we shouldn't forget the users efforts to find out and categorise information about it.

More to the point Funimation is not Dragon Ball, especially if you're a UK or Canadian fan, and the Ocean cast deserve to have their efforts seen too.
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:39 am

good lord some of yall bein weird asf in this thread.. 😭

just let ppl be excited for the possibility of something thats literally been lost (at least for public viewing) for over 10 years being finally broadcast out in the big wide world, even if it is for a small amount of fans who've been waiting said 11+ years
like yall are no fun com'on now

anyways going back on topic.. I'm so excited for this dub if it really is finally coming to fruition! its about time we got this.. first the japanese broadcast audio and now this ♥ lets make another big bang attack in the dragon ball community folks!
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:47 am

DiloVortexx wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:39 am good lord some of yall bein weird asf in this thread.. 😭

just let ppl be excited for the possibility of something thats literally been lost (at least for public viewing) for over 10 years being finally broadcast out in the big wide world, even if it is for a small amount of fans who've been waiting said 11+ years
like yall are no fun com'on now

anyways going back on topic.. I'm so excited for this dub if it really is finally coming to fruition! its about time we got this.. first the japanese broadcast audio and now this ♥ lets make another big bang attack in the dragon ball community folks!
There's no official confirmation that this dub's gonna be released any time soon. It was recorded over a decade ago for a possible Canadian TV airing, but has been more than likely sitting on a hard drive at Ocean Studios ever since they finished doing so. There doesn't seem to be any interest from any broadcaster in Canada to air it & as time passes, that will only persist to be an issue. Unless someone at Ocean or another company can get the audio masters, this will most likely never see the light of day, unfortunately.

Some people will say I'm being negative here, but I'm just being realistic. You'd have a better chance at Disney releasing the original theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy than seeing this be released at this point, imo.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:02 am

Toon-a-Vision are an interested broadcaster who have been in touch with Ken Morrison about the dub. Before WOW's new channel went through the cracks, Wow Unlimited were 100% in negotiations for a long time and they're a big deal. The options are out there.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:47 am

SX10 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:02 am Toon-a-Vision are an interested broadcaster who have been in touch with Ken Morrison about the dub. Before WOW's new channel went through the cracks, Wow Unlimited were 100% in negotiations for a long time and they're a big deal. The options are out there.
There are options out there & there have been various negotiations, but until something's announced & set in stone, it's best to temper expectations, imo.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:34 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:47 am
SX10 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:02 am Toon-a-Vision are an interested broadcaster who have been in touch with Ken Morrison about the dub. Before WOW's new channel went through the cracks, Wow Unlimited were 100% in negotiations for a long time and they're a big deal. The options are out there.
There are options out there & there have been various negotiations, but until something's announced & set in stone, it's best to temper expectations, imo.
Totally agreed, it ain't over till it's over. I'm currently banking on our efforts turning some wheels behind the scenes at the moment, mainly because contact has dried up again, but there are always moments where things pick up again.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:13 pm why do we need another dub of Kai when you can always watch the Japanese version.
I personally don't like Japanese Dragon Ball Kai, everybody sounds tired and bored in that version. Their performances are still good, yes, but they just aren't as good as they used to be. Whereas over at the Fun House (FUNimation dub), they're way better than they used to be. I prefer English Dragon Ball Z Kai over Japanese Dragon Ball Kai.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:59 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:13 pm why do we need another dub of Kai when you can always watch the Japanese version.
I personally don't like Japanese Dragon Ball Kai, everybody sounds tired and bored in that version. Their performances are still good, yes, but they just aren't as good as they used to be. Whereas over at the Fun House (FUNimation dub), they're way better than they used to be. I prefer English Dragon Ball Z Kai over Japanese Dragon Ball Kai.
Yeah, Chris Sabat even admitted you're getting more out of the dub of Kai than the sub. And he's not wrong, coming from someone like me who respects both. This is just one instance where sub fans don't really have a dog in the fight. Let the dub be superior for once because Kami knows those dub actors get crap all the time (mostly for stuff in the past that should be let go at this point). Hell, accurate dubs from Viz and Funimation STILL get crapped on compared to the subs in the some cases, even with great top-tier voice acting from both.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:18 pm

sooo on a scale of one to ten, how likely is it that you think we'll get the dub sometime soon? have we ever been this close to getting it before?
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:14 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:59 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Yeah, Chris Sabat even admitted you're getting more out of the dub of Kai than the sub. And he's not wrong, coming from someone like me who respects both. This is just one instance where sub fans don't really have a dog in the fight. Let the dub be superior for once because Kami knows those dub actors get crap all the time (mostly for stuff in the past that should be let go at this point). Hell, accurate dubs from Viz and Funimation STILL get crapped on compared to the subs in the some cases, even with great top-tier voice acting from both.
Well, I'm glad that Chris Sabat thinks that the version he worked on is superior.

The reason why many feel that Kai was great for the dub, is because it gave the Funimation cast a shot at redemption after their unbearable performance in Z the first time around.

But that applies to the Ocean dub too. Because for Canadian and UK fans, the version of the series that they grew up with, was plagued by terrible directing, rushed production, and replacement music recycled from other shows.

A lot of people--myself included--feel that the Ocean Studios actors are superior to Funimation's and would prefer to listen to them as the English version of the series.

People aren't trying to get some massive fan project approved where someone should pay to have the Ocean crew get together and dub Kai--someone already did shell out the money for 98 episodes to get voiced over. But all that work is sitting in some vault somewhere. We would simply like for that work to be uncovered. Why not? It already exists.

I welcome as many English dubs of Dragon Ball (anything) because it just expands the viewing experience. When I watched the Ocean/Westwood dub, it reinvigorated my excitement to rewatch the series.

So, that's why I want it released.

I feel like it will not happen and the best shot will be some pirated leak years down the line after someone cracks open the vault... but I don't even find that to be likely. But, hey, dare to dream, damn it!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:35 pm

I don't know if I want to quantify how likely I think it is we'll see this dub, all I'll say is that it's possible. We can debate to what extent, but I remain open minded. How many things did we think would never happen with Dragon Ball? Like a new series happening? People thought Funimation would never re-release their original first 2 Z seasons after 8 years promoting the redub and then Rock the Dragon happened. No one ever thought we'd get a fan servicey Broly movie..... that was actually done well. I could go on, but the point is never rule anything out with this franchise.

Anyway, after seeing a commercial on UK TV today I think I can recommend yet another outlet for getting Ocean Kai on the air, and that is drumroll............................... Sky Sci-Fi.

Now, to explain why this channel, which is launching on 26 July 2022 I'll say that some of you, who are familiar with the UK's history with anime will know the Syfy channel back in the 90s use to air its fair share of anime, mostly titles like Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, Appleseed, Violence Jack, Akira, Fist of the North Star, Bubble Gum Crash, Tokyo Revelation, Tank Police, Wicked City, and Demon City Shinjuku. Of course a channel airing all these does not seem like a good fit for Dragon Ball, but here's the thing - the new Sky Sci-Fi channel is being described as a reboot, so if its like a throwback channel and it does well that may open the door for similar revivals of sorts, like a Toonami UK revival for example. Either way there is a precedent for anime on the channel regardless, so maybe they will run it, but not the same kind of anime they ran in the 90s.

Take Manga UK for example, a company that used to license much of the aforementioned titles that aired on Syfy around the same time (although at the time they were known as "Manga Video") but from the late 2000s onwards when the company relaunched they began to focus on less gritty releases and more shounen action, indeed they eventually picked up Dragon Ball in 2012. Maybe if Sky Sci-Fi is willing to take another approach, but still air anime something could be worked out for this dub. Hell, they may just want to go for it because Dragon Ball prints money.

Either way, it can't hurt to start reaching out to them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: