Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:17 pm

jordanator wrote: Great, so far, so good IMO. :D
I understand the fact that we have very little info on the whole subject of an ''Ocean Kai'', but is there any info out there at all regarding other voice actors being cast? Maybe ones that aren't well known?

Oh, and just a general question (to everyone). How do you feel about the roles being recast in Ocean's Kai? Are there any roles that you would like new VA's for, or possibly kept the same? For me, I'd want Drummond, Corlett, and McNeil back to voice their previous character's as my core actors. I'm open to hearing a new child Gohan, and I certainly wouldn't mind hearing a new Freeza.
There's an old rumor going around about someone named Brian Kingsley who was cast for Goku and Nappa, but I'm highly doubtful of it.

As for VA's who I'd want to stay...

- Scott McNeil as Piccolo and Jeice (Confirmed)
- Brian Drummond as Vegeta
- Alec Willows as Burter
- Ian Corlett/Peter Kelamis as Goku (Hopeful but highly unlikely)

VA's I want replaced...

- Alistair Abell as Trunks (Too old sounding)
- Dale Wilson as Cell (Absolutely terrible)
- Don Brown as Shenron (Too much gravel throaty sounding. Doug Parker works better)
- Don Brown as Mr Satan (Too high pitched)
- Richard Newman as Porunga (Sounds too much like his Rhinox from Beast Wars)
- Terry Klassan as Master Roshi (Sounds like a terrible impersonation of his Krillin)
- Terry Klassan as Krillin (His original performance in the 1 - 53 dub was decent but his later performance went down the drain)
- Jillian Michaels as Gohan (Far too Girly, not enough Boy to the voice)

The rest I could honestly care less about.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I definitely still want Scott McNeil and Piccolo and Brian Drummond as Vegeta. As for Gohan, I don't know whether I want Jillian Michaels or Saffron Henderson to return. I'm most comfortable with Henderson. I don't know who I'd want as Kuririn. Klassen is okay, but not great. I'd love to have Lalania Lindbjerg back as Bulma. For Chi-Chi, either Laara Sadiq or Lisa Ann Beley are fine.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:46 pm

jordanator wrote:
Oh, and just a general question (to everyone). How do you feel about the roles being recast in Ocean's Kai? Are there any roles that you would like new VA's for, or possibly kept the same? For me, I'd want Drummond, Corlett, and McNeil back to voice their previous character's as my core actors. I'm open to hearing a new child Gohan, and I certainly wouldn't mind hearing a new Freeza.
I was never too attached to the cast. Aside from McNeil and Drummond, I'd prefer everyone else to get recast.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:41 pm

McNeil is Piccolo, recasting is not an option.

I wouldn't mind a recast for Vegeta, he was decent in the first 53 episodes but down the road it's just.. ugh.. like he's not even trying.

I wouldn't mind a complete recast though.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:McNeil is Piccolo, recasting is not an option.

I wouldn't mind a recast for Vegeta, he was decent in the first 53 episodes but down the road it's just.. ugh.. like he's not even trying.

I don't think people realize how much the voice director has to say for the voice actor's deliveries...

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm

sangofe wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:McNeil is Piccolo, recasting is not an option.

I don't think people realize how much the voice director has to say for the voice actor's deliveries...
Very true. The director is either the unsung hero or the unsung villain of an acting performance in any medium. Often times an actor will nail the delivery of a line based on the direction they were given, but the direction will be off. It's very hard to tell if there's a directing problem without actually being there to witness the director's, um...direction...but the biggest tip-off is the consistency of a performance. If an actor's performance is in any way inconsistent, it generally means that the director doesn't know what they're doing and giving the the actor a very unfocused take on what the character is about.

If I had to be super, super picky, I'd say my favorite director in anime is Karl Willems. He directed--among other things--"Death Note," and the three Ocean-dubbed DBZ movies. Generally the dubs he directs are very, very good. It would be awesome if they got him to direct the Ocean dub of Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah, but Karl Willems also directed the later seasons of the Ocean dub of DBZ, too. :?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:14 pm

The issue with the Ocean dub in the later seasons was the horrible rush. None of the actors were cast or directed properly because they were trying to rush the who product, considering they felt they could rely on DragonBall Z to carry itself regardless of the acting quality, the script quality... It's none of the actors fault, but I would take issue with whoever decided to handle to process the way they did. I don't even know if I'd blame the actual director, it might not have been his choice.

But the proof of the whole product being a rushed design is the reuse of FUNi's scripts, of the Megaman music, and... well, God, the acting. It's positively awful. As is the casting.

It's why I cannot, and will never, EVER be able to take Ocean purists seriously.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Who I want to stay. Scot McNeil as Piccolo, Brian Drummond as Vegeta, Pauline Newstone as Freeza (if she puts on a more elagent performance), Who ever voiced Nappa. Who I want gone. Kirby Morrow as Goku (confirmed :D ), who ever voiced Zabon, Dale Wilson as Cell (his perfect Cell was decent and he could act the part for each form well enough but the voices them selves were kinda...meh). Who ever voiced Trunks.
penguintruth wrote:I'd prefer if they didn't use replacement music at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would deflate any interest I have in an Ocean dub of Kai.
So even if the dub had awesome acting, great casting and a replacement score that fitted perfectly you would ignore the entire dub simply because it doesn't have the original score?
:?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Gonstead wrote:As for VA's who I'd want to stay...

- Scott McNeil as Piccolo and Jeice (Confirmed)
- Brian Drummond as Vegeta
- Alec Willows as Burter
- Ian Corlett/Peter Kelamis as Goku (Hopeful but highly unlikely)
I agree with these so much! You share the same tastes as me except for one.

Don Brown as Shenron was so awesome! You always see the characters were intimidated by his presence and I want a voice that suits that role. Don Brown did just that. It is much better than having Sabat's regular voice with the pitch turned down a notch. That is lame bro!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Shen Long is so minor that I don't really care one way or the other about his voice. Any deep voice would be fine for me.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Shen Long is so minor that I don't really care one way or the other about his voice.
He's a staple character to the show that saying what you just did is kind of insulting. He is very important.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Shen Long is so minor that I don't really care one way or the other about his voice.
He's a staple character to the show that saying what you just did is kind of insulting. He is very important.
And we see him what, 3 times in the entire series?

The problem with Don Brown and Chris Sabat's Shenron's were that they were sometimes hard to understand. Don Brown had the gravel throat which made some words incomprehensible while Chris Sabat had the pitch much too low and some words are hard to understand. His Kai performance has improved that as far as I'm aware.

I wouldn't mind Don Brown back as Shenron, he just needs to improve upon the voice a bit.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Is Ocean Kai's music going to be custom (Shuki Levy?) or the official replacement?

Ocean DBZ voices are really good, can't wait to see how it turns out.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Is Ocean Kai's music going to be custom (Shuki Levy?) or the official replacement?

From what we know,there will be a replacement score that's not Kikuchi but we don't know who or what are composing it.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Gonstead wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Is Ocean Kai's music going to be custom (Shuki Levy?) or the official replacement?

From what we know,there will be a replacement score that's not Kikuchi but we don't know who or what are composing it.
...When on Earth did we learn that? All I've seen thus far in that regard is speculation.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Gonstead, that demon-like voice is too cool for you to handle :wink: :lol:

I see where you are coming from, and I think he could be much better if he was allowed to be.

I forgot to mention that I would like Don Brown to return as Roshi if Corlett can't, for obvious reasons.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 am

The accent comments have already been addressed by multiple other users.
RazorX wrote: Replacing said new musical score with rushed, limited and repetitive old score not intended for the new recut of DBZ; not fine.
In such a case, replacing the music should be a condition for licensing the rights to produce a dub.
It's not their call to make. Their job isn't to improve the show. It's to translate it. Obviously, this is a view from a creative standpoint where I would hope that a company would just respect the source material, but we know that's not always the case.

You also mention something about fans of the Kikuchi score wanting a replacement. I don't think the complaint is that they want a different score, it seems to be they just want better placement. Sure, it makes Kai seem like an even more pointless project, but that's a different argument altogether.
RazorX wrote: Avatar got beaten by DBZ Kai in a popularity poll. A Nicktoons home made show that was on US Nicktoons for quite some time got beaten by a new show which had been on US Nicktoons for only a few months prior to the poll. Kids prefer DBZ Kai to Avatar the Last airbender and it's no surprise. DBZ Kai is exciting and visually pleasing, Avatar the Last airbender is boring and looks like a cheap Anime wanabee.

But at least Nicktoons was honest enough to report that DBZ Kai won the popularity poll.
What does that have to do with music? I didn't say Avatar was a better show. I do think that Avatar is a better show overall in almost every category, but they have different things to offer.

Like you said, that's an election chosen by kids. They don't get more than half of the things Avatar has to offer. You can also ignore the fact that Avatar has been on that channel for a number of years, while DBZK is brand new.

The rest of your comments have also been addressed by other users.

Also, to those of you that want Drummond to return as Vegeta, do you want him to do the same take on the character? Or do you want him to try something more natural?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 am

Something like this perhaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2CwmVXh1M

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 am

What's great about Drummond's Vegeta is that he sounds like he's completely in love with his own voice. Like he really believes he's the best thing to ever exist. Vegeta's arrogance comes out.

Can I get a Schemen?