Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Since we're talking about 9000 and Drummond, I think this is appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2CwmVXh1M
Nice.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Since we're talking about 9000 and Drummond, I think this is appropriate.
ImmaKai1's video sync is more adequate to the audio. That's still cool too.

http://youtu.be/3KvHYMGE9k4
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Since we're talking about 9000 and Drummond, I think this is appropriate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2CwmVXh1M

That's funny :)

Has there been any word yet on if this is coming?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Other than the recent news from Scott McNeil, nothing official has been said.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

I've got the first 53 episodes of the ocean dub and the 3 ocean movies on DVD This is the first time I seen the fight between Goku vs Majin Vegeta in the ocean dub and I will admit, It's freaking awesome I love the background music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyHZi_abyg
Wish I could find a better quality video of this. But I have a question. Lets say Ocean does decide to Dub Kai. Will I be able to buy their release of it here in the states? or will haft to have a region free DVD player? and will they use their own music like they did back in the day or just use the kai music
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

It's more likely that this will be a TV only dub just like last time.

And they are apparently composing new music for Kai instead of using the Kikuchi replacement score.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

So there wont be a DVD release? :(
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm

samuraix123 wrote:So there wont be a DVD release? :(
Maybe. We don't know as of yet.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:08 pm

As for the previous Ocean Dub, we at UKDB have the entire dub collected together all recorded from various TV recordings. Same goes for the Blue Water dubs of DBGT and DB.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 am

Gonstead wrote:And they are apparently composing new music for Kai instead of using the Kikuchi replacement score.
I haven't heard of that. Is there any source or rumour? Anyway, it's likely to happen if the very reason why they're making their own dub is the existence of Canadian broadcasting rules that limit the use of non-Canadian programming. It's also the reason why they had to dub DBZ themselves and replace the score with made-in-Canada music, right?

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:26 am

kei17 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:And they are apparently composing new music for Kai instead of using the Kikuchi replacement score.
I haven't heard of that. Is there any source or rumour? Anyway, it's likely to happen if the very reason why they're making their own dub is the existence of Canadian broadcasting rules that limit the use of non-Canadian programming. It's also the reason why they had to dub DBZ themselves and replace the score with made-in-Canada music, right?
That's right bub! They're trying to make DBZ as Canadian as possible again!
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 am

Gonstead wrote:Other than the recent news from Scott McNeil, nothing official has been said.
This dub hasn't been officially announced, and I suspect it won't be. It'll just show up on TV in some random country, and people will go "Wat".
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Gonstead wrote:Other than the recent news from Scott McNeil, nothing official has been said.
This dub hasn't been officially announced, and I suspect it won't be. It'll just show up on TV in some random country, and people will go "Wat".
That's what most of us fear will happen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

kei17 wrote:
The source would be Sean Schemmel. In fact, the very first rumor we ever heard of an Ocean dub of Kai was from Schemmel. He said that Ocean was producing their own dub, and that they would be replacing the music with "crappy Canadian music," and that they were adding sound effects where there previously were none. I believe he gave a specific example by saying that, in the first or second episode, there's a bit where Bulma turns her head, and they added a "whoosh" sound effect where there previously wasn't any.

Mind you, whether or not this is all true or not remains to be seen. I could understand that the music in the post-Saban Ocean dub (aka the Westwood dub) was replaced due to Canadian law (and I remember reading somewhere that the music was replaced at the request/demand of the Canadian TV network that aired DBZ), but if that's the case, how were they able to air the "Gundam WING" dub with the original score intact? Or the "Inu Yasha" dub? Or the "Death Note" dub?
samuraix123 wrote:So there wont be a DVD release? :(
If there is, I will be positively shocked. The Westwood dub never got a DVD release. Having not seen the paperwork and not knowing the legal agreements, I can't say for sure, but I suspect that FUNimation bought the DVD distribution rights for all English-speaking countries, and probably secured a similar deal with Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm guessing Ocean was screwing with Sean. At least for the added SFX bit.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 pm

If there is, I will be positively shocked. The Westwood dub never got a DVD release. Having not seen the paperwork and not knowing the legal agreements, I can't say for sure, but I suspect that FUNimation bought the DVD distribution rights for all English-speaking countries, and probably secured a similar deal with Kai.
Man :( Why does Funimation get DVD release's but Ocean dub doesn't?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:05 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Man :( Why does Funimation get DVD release's but Ocean dub doesn't?
Most likely to stop confusion between the two dubs.

Really, you have two releases of the same series and how would you even know the difference between them to which one you would want to buy?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Man :( Why does Funimation get DVD release's but Ocean dub doesn't?
Maybe cause FUNi actually has the rights to do so. :|
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Gonstead wrote:Most likely to stop confusion between the two dubs.

Really, you have two releases of the same series and how would you even know the difference between them to which one you would want to buy?
By doing research?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't think it would be too confusing if they just released Ocean DVDs exclusively for the countries it aired in. If that was the case then people wouldn't have to import and there would be no chance of them making a mistake.

I still don't think we'll ever see them release any DVDs though and I have my suspicions that Funimation secured the rights for countries like the UK yet still never release anything here. If that is the case it just seems like they're being spiteful to me.