Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
FNF
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by FNF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:14 pm

To be honest I would rather it wan't released because when it turns out to be awful the Ocean fanboys will still insist it sounds amazing especially Drummond's 'street punk' Vegeta.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SSJSteve wrote:I always get excited when I see this thread pop up every now and again! :lol:

Hope we get some news soon.
We've been expecting news since 2010-2011 and still nothing.
Yep, and that's why I keep getting excited when there's a new post...

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SSJSteve wrote:I always get excited when I see this thread pop up every now and again! :lol:

Hope we get some news soon.
We've been expecting news since 2010-2011 and still nothing.
Other than a voice actor confirming that he's working on it.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

It's been what, two years, since the rumors began?

I don't think it's happening.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:11 pm

FNF wrote:To be honest I would rather it wan't released because when it turns out to be awful the Ocean fanboys will still insist it sounds amazing especially Drummond's 'street punk' Vegeta.
Much like Duke Nukem Forever, huh?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

User avatar
FNF
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by FNF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Hades wrote:
FNF wrote:To be honest I would rather it wan't released because when it turns out to be awful the Ocean fanboys will still insist it sounds amazing especially Drummond's 'street punk' Vegeta.
Much like Duke Nukem Forever, huh?
Well, there wasn't a good Ocean dub to begin with so not exactly :D
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by NitroEX » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

If you hate the ocean dub so much then why are you posting in a thread about it other than to start shit?

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

FNF wrote:Well, there wasn't a good Ocean dub to begin with so not exactly :D
FUNimation's Ocean Cast did a brilliant job with episodes 001-053 and the later ones did decrease in terms of quality but still pretty good.

Voice acting, music were the two things that made the Ocean version so damn good, despite the script not being accurate, but don't expect a dub to be faithfully accurate to the original edition. Ever.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:32 pm

I have no reason to not believe the dub was actually recorded. You don't cast a Freeza and have him record all of his lines to drop it. I just haven't got a clue as to why it hasn't shown up somewhere yet. Then again, Ocean dubbed InuYasha: The Final Act years ago and it has yet to pop up...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
FNF wrote:Well, there wasn't a good Ocean dub to begin with so not exactly :D
FUNimation's Ocean Cast did a brilliant job with episodes 001-053 and the later ones did decrease in terms of quality but still pretty good.

Voice acting, music were the two things that made the Ocean version so damn good, despite the script not being accurate, but don't expect a dub to be faithfully accurate to the original edition. Ever.
What about Funi's Kai dub?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

User avatar
FNF
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by FNF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:50 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
FNF wrote:Well, there wasn't a good Ocean dub to begin with so not exactly :D
FUNimation's Ocean Cast did a brilliant job with episodes 001-053 and the later ones did decrease in terms of quality but still pretty good.

Voice acting, music were the two things that made the Ocean version so damn good, despite the script not being accurate, but don't expect a dub to be faithfully accurate to the original edition. Ever.
Yes they did do a brilliant job...of sounding like shit.

@Nitro, just posting my opinion.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Hades wrote:What about Funi's Kai dub?
Script: Kai (but Ocean's Dead Zone film is considerably more accurate than the FUNi Kai dub)
Music: Ocean
Acting: Ocean
Voices: Ocean

Series scenes
http://youtu.be/iacgMVUJxNU
http://youtu.be/Ixt5u9CBHA8
http://youtu.be/9MoJXVG8nVE
http://youtu.be/jcWmiPJybSU
http://youtu.be/5M-oBvUBqfU
http://youtu.be/TX20KuQWH7s

Film scenes
http://youtu.be/zu5vXrWa_qo
http://youtu.be/lS5zTB-zAnA
http://youtu.be/QtsM5LKoJPQ (KAIOH-KEN 2:31 scene)

Ocean Goku said "Keioken" in the series but they've redeemed themselves as in the film he pronounced "KAIOH-KEN" correctly as if he was imitating Masako Nozawa. Not even Schemmel comes close. Or Sabat to Drummond.

Peter Kelamis > James Corlett > MasakoX
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
FNF
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by FNF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't think people got the memo that the Ocean dub's delivery was awful...

Oh and Vegeta's not meant to sound like a drugged up, street thug.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm

FNF wrote:I don't think people got the memo that the Ocean dub's delivery was awful...

Oh and Vegeta's not meant to sound like a drugged up, street thug.
A street raspy thug is how Sabat's Vejeta sounds like. You haven't really brought up any useful information or videos, so let's stop here.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:12 pm

penguintruth wrote:It's been what, two years, since the rumors began?

I don't think it's happening.
It definitely has been a long time. However, I think we need to keep in mind a few things.

-The very first time we heard directly from an Ocean voice actor about the Ocean dub of Kai, it was Kirby Morrow talking about how he wasn't cast. So he was just talking about casting. The actual dubbing had not even begun at the time he talked the Ocean dub of Kai.
-The only English-speaking countries to air an English dub of Kai on TV are the countries that aired FUNimation's DBZ dub, and they are airing FUNimation's dub of Kai.
-The only English-speaking countries to NOT air an English dub of Kai on TV yet are the countries that aired Ocean's DBZ dub. Coincidental? Perhaps, but I don't think so. I think they're waiting on Ocean's dub of Kai.
-We've heard from three Ocean actors (Kirby Morrow, Lee Tockar, and Scott McNeil) who say that it is happening.
-We've heard from one FUNimation actor (Sean Schemmel) who says that it is happening.

Those are all the facts, so here's speculation on my part. I think that the reason it's taking a while is firstly because of Yamamotogate (aka the "Music Scandal"), and also because they're waiting to release the dub until the whole show is dubbed from start to finish, so they can release five episodes a week. Like I said, that's speculation, and even I'm a little bewildered as to why we haven't seen so much as a preview clip yet...but I haven't given up just yet.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Those are all the facts, so here's speculation on my part. I think that the reason it's taking a while is firstly because of Yamamotogate (aka the "Music Scandal"), and also because they're waiting to release the dub until the whole show is dubbed from start to finish, so they can release five episodes a week. Like I said, that's speculation, and even I'm a little bewildered as to why we haven't seen so much as a preview clip yet...but I haven't given up just yet.
You have no idea how much i hate that suffix being applied to any scandal.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5960
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Hades wrote:You have no idea how much i hate that suffix being applied to any scandal.
Does it bother you even more when it's applied to non-scandals such as "climategate"? :P
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Hades wrote:You have no idea how much i hate that suffix being applied to any scandal.
Does it bother you even more when it's applied to non-scandals such as "climategate"? :P
It's just something about the mass media that i loathe intensely.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

User avatar
FNF
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by FNF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
FNF wrote:I don't think people got the memo that the Ocean dub's delivery was awful...

Oh and Vegeta's not meant to sound like a drugged up, street thug.
A street raspy thug is how Sabat's Vejeta sounds like. You haven't really brought up any useful information or videos, so let's stop here.
I swear you must be a little hard of hearing. Sabat's Vegeta in Kai sounds nothing like a thug. He sounds like an arrogant prince.

I don't need to provide videos. The proof is all there in DBZKai.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Not really a prince, he sounds more like a... I don't even know man.

Schemmel is the one I can't really stand as much. His voice is just so gravely and low. Every time I listen to the original then the English, it just does not sound RIGHT!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Post Reply