Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Maybe... Maybe... Hard, hard maybe... Maybe it's worth asking Funimation about it. If they can acquire it (and maybe the Blue Water or Westwood DB, Z, GT content), they could use it as yet another excuse to re-re-re-release the series and make another buck. Physical media or streaming, whichever. As a fully grown adult who understands business, it might not be worth their time or effort to try to buy it out, but I don't see it having any less of a chance of happening than a TV channel suddenly picking it up from its graveyard.
It's likely Funimation doesn't have access to the masters to release them. Even if they did, I doubt they would release them as Schemmel has a track record of getting butt hurt when its even brought up that there's other english dubs of Dragon Ball Z.

I feel like there's probably also a reason why these dubs never got a home video release back in the day.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm
I feel like there's probably also a reason why these dubs never got a home video release back in the day.
There is, AB Groupe weren't willing to take a chance because long anime series didn't have a track record of making it very far in the UK (Pokemon only had around 30 episodes released on VHS during that time), and Funimation isn't going to promote another dub.

I'd love any Ocean dubs to get a home release, but it ain't happening unless significant number of us pester Manga UK about licensing them, even then it's a long shot because they are largely an import company :cry:
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Maybe... Maybe... Hard, hard maybe... Maybe it's worth asking Funimation about it. If they can acquire it (and maybe the Blue Water or Westwood DB, Z, GT content), they could use it as yet another excuse to re-re-re-release the series and make another buck. Physical media or streaming, whichever. As a fully grown adult who understands business, it might not be worth their time or effort to try to buy it out, but I don't see it having any less of a chance of happening than a TV channel suddenly picking it up from its graveyard.
It's likely Funimation doesn't have access to the masters to release them. Even if they did, I doubt they would release them as Schemmel has a track record of getting butt hurt when its even brought up that there's other english dubs of Dragon Ball Z.

I feel like there's probably also a reason why these dubs never got a home video release back in the day.
Apparently Funimation put some effort into preventing Ocean's Kai dub from seeing the light of day when Kai was a hot property, and they don't particularly care about the older Ocean dubs at all. It took A LOT of work from some people inside to even get the Rock The Dragon set, which was a bit of a shitty release (very poor video quality, censored versions of Z movies 1 and 2, no bonus features of any kind, etc.), and was massively pulled-back from the initial pitch (the initial pitch would've had it be a wide release that would've also included Funi's OG TV dub of 54-276), and only used stuff that Funi already owned the masters for.

Realistically, I don't think Funimation -- with its current regime -- would EVER decide to release the Ocean dubs that they didn't air in the USA. Even Kai, which they most definitely do have masters of (they licensed them for their own TV edit).

I think MangaUK could, but it might be a hard sell to convince them that it'd do well. Personally I think it would do well, provided they were marketed right and sold for a reasonable price. Though personally, if I was to pick something for MangaUK to release, I'd pick Kai. I think that would be easier to sell to casual fans -- particularly parents -- and it would draw a lot more interest from the hardcores from its status as a previosuly-unreleased dub. And being a shorter run, it'd probably be less expensive to produce.
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:21 pm
and they don't particularly care about the older Ocean dubs at all
They’ve gone out of their way to wipe out their stuff with the Ocean dub so not surprising. I think Funimation is just fine if people assumed it was always their in-house dub. They were very careful to refer to the Rock the Dragon set as “The Ocean dub” even though it’s still their dub. They really want fans to think they weren’t behind stuff like Bardock the brilliant scientist.
It took A LOT of work from some people inside to even get the Rock The Dragon set, which was a bit of a shitty release (very poor video quality, censored versions of Z movies 1 and 2, no bonus features of any kind, etc.),
The censored Z movies 1 and 2 was at least because they were “trying” to base it off the Toonami airings same reason they used the movie version of the tv cut of Tree of Might instead of the uncut Pioneer version (of course they also used the original version of episodes 1-3 and not the safer re-airings that Toonami apparently got but ya know Funimation...
and was massively pulled-back from the initial pitch (the initial pitch would've had it be a wide release that would've also included Funi's OG TV dub of 54-276),
Source on this by any chance? It’s absolutely what they should have done since they were promoting this thing as the “original tv dub you watched on Toonami” Given what an absolute objective failure the remastering was (we’re going to have actors re-record lines for consistency with the 2005 redub except for when we don’t or get bored of it) they really should have finished their ultimate uncut release as a separate special edition and continued to sell their 276 episode dub on the season sets.


Even Kai, which they most definitely do have masters of (they licensed them for their own TV edit).

Kai sure, but I would be very surprised if Funimation had the masters for the Blue Water or Westwood dubs.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm

There were plans to include the rest of the TV airings of DBZ on the Rock the Dragon set? Wow that's news to me :shock: I never heard that before anywhere, it's really too bad that didn't end up happening, I definitely would've paid good money to have all of the recaps and NEPs with Dale Kelly.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm
The censored Z movies 1 and 2 was at least because they were “trying” to base it off the Toonami airings same reason they used the movie version of the tv cut of Tree of Might instead of the uncut Pioneer version (of course they also used the original version of episodes 1-3 and not the safer re-airings that Toonami apparently got but ya know Funimation...
Except, the set was explicitly marketed as being for people who remember the original 1996-1997 syndication run (the liner notes outright say "Get ready to rock the dragon like it's 1996!"), which is part of the reason why the original-aired versions of episodes 1 and 2 were used (and, to quickly nip this one in the bud; it's just the first two, not three)... And yet they included Z movies 1 and 2 (which didn't air until Toonami), and they didn't use the original, 3-episode version of Tree Of Might, and they screwed up a bunch of the eyecatches, and they cut off one of the NEPs... And I already mentioned the poor video quality (which was definitely deliberate; the master tapes do not look like this. Funi applied a heavy blur filter, and washed out the colours really badly at the authoring level), the lack of extras, etc...

The RTD set was a mess top to bottom, and honestly, I'm not sure Funi even knew who they were selling it to. Oldschool American fans are bummed out by its lack of Funi episodes 54+, oldschool British and Canadian fans are bummed out by its lack of Westwood episodes 108+, general Ocean dub fans are bummed out by the fact it uses the TV versions of Z movies 1 and 2 (and also really annoyed that, despite being happy to release these dubs in this format, Funi continue to refuse to put the Pioneer dubs on the uncut releases), and the uncut version of Z movie 3, a completely different dub than the TV version, was completely tossed out.
No one is satisfied by the RTD set, even though a lot of people found it better than nothing at the time of release, and a lot of people appreciated the bone thrown to Ocean fans and oldschool American fans.
But, even though it's not quite so bad, the RTD set was definitely the OG TV dub equivalent of the uncut show's Orange Bricks; yes, it technically fills the void of a DVD release of the material, but it misses the point in some critical ways, and was generally screwed up in too many ways to really consider it a good release.
MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm
Source on this by any chance? It’s absolutely what they should have done since they were promoting this thing as the “original tv dub you watched on Toonami” Given what an absolute objective failure the remastering was (we’re going to have actors re-record lines for consistency with the 2005 redub except for when we don’t or get bored of it) they really should have finished their ultimate uncut release as a separate special edition and continued to sell their 276 episode dub on the season sets.
I can't remember which one, but the man responsible for the RTD set, who originally pitched this version, talked about this openly on one of the Kanzenshuu podcasts.
Planetnamek wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm
There were plans to include the rest of the TV airings of DBZ on the Rock the Dragon set? Wow that's news to me :shock: I never heard that before anywhere, it's really too bad that didn't end up happening, I definitely would've paid good money to have all of the recaps and NEPs with Dale Kelly.
That was the plan. The guy behind it kinda knew that American fans were aching to hear the original version, but he was kind of shut down on it. They pulled it back to just "The Ocean dub"... And to it being a limited affair... And to it not being available on store shelves, even; just reduced to an expensive collectors' set.
So the original idea behind it was pretty much completely tossed out, sadly.

Wish I could remember which episode of the podcast this was, but I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank. Can't even remember the guy's name >_<
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm
The censored Z movies 1 and 2 was at least because they were “trying” to base it off the Toonami airings same reason they used the movie version of the tv cut of Tree of Might instead of the uncut Pioneer version (of course they also used the original version of episodes 1-3 and not the safer re-airings that Toonami apparently got but ya know Funimation...
Except, the set was explicitly marketed as being for people who remember the original 1996-1997 syndication run (the liner notes outright say "Get ready to rock the dragon like it's 1996!"), which is part of the reason why the original-aired versions of episodes 1 and 2 were used (and, to quickly nip this one in the bud; it's just the first two, not three)... And yet they included Z movies 1 and 2 (which didn't air until Toonami), and they didn't use the original, 3-episode version of Tree Of Might
Again, no it was based on the Toonami broadcast not the syndicated version (Escape from Piccolo didn’t even air in syndication as Saban deemed the content not fit for broadcast ) they included the edited versions of movie 1 and 2 and the movie version of the Saban approved tv cut of Tree of Might because that’s how the movies aired on Toonami.

Here’s Funimation’s official trailer specifically calling it “The original Toonami broadcast” : https://youtu.be/4HYgAydD6D0

And their summary
HFIL has frozen over, and your wish has been granted. Now get ready to Rock the Dragon like it’s 1996!

FUNimation is busting open the vault and finally unleashing what fans have sought for so long: the original Toonami broadcast version of Dragonball Z! This ultimate fanboy release features the legendary Ocean dub and the long lost alternative score penned by famed composed Shuki Levy (Inspector Gadget, Power Rangers). This is the Dragonball Z you watched while eating your afterschool snack, the anime phenomenon that helped launch Cartoon Network, and an essential piece of your Dragonball Z collection. No one else in the world has this, and you can’t live without it. Celebrate 15 years of Dragonball Z in North America by kicked your cred into the stratosphere of super fandom! You never really wanted to grow up – isn’t it time for feel like a kid again?
Obviously, there’s the little issue that it didn’t air on Cartoon Network until late 1998 but this is Funimation we’re talking about. The company that loves playing revisionist history more than a grade school Thanksgiving play. There’salso the issue of calling it the original Toonami Broadcast while flat ignoring the edited version of their in-house dub of episode 54-276

Of course regardless, whatever its trying to be, it failed miserably.

If it’s trying to be “The original Toonami broadcast” then it failed for not including the edited version of episode 54-276 with the Texas cast.

If it’s trying to be The Ocean dub as associated with Funimation, well it really should have just included the uncut version of the three movies.

And if its trying to be the pre-Toonami syndicated airings Escape from Piccolo and the first two movies should be excluded, and Tree of Might should be three episodes.

Obviously like almost anything from Funimation its poorly done and half-assed to say nothing of the other poor quality issues you mentioned.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:21 pm
(the initial pitch would've had it be a wide release that would've also included Funi's OG TV dub of 54-276), and only used stuff that Funi already owned the masters for.
A bare bones release of the original 276 episode US TV dub would have been a great set to put out. It could be sold as a budget alternative for the dub fans who didn't like the remastered dub, and for the hardcore collectors (like myself) a cheaper option than collecting the singles. The season sets and Dragon Boxes could have still been sold for fans of the Japanese version and new fans getting into the series that only want A dub, not a specific one as they didn't grow up with the series.

Sadly, as said above Funimation seems to care more about revisionism than catering to all types of fans, even the fans of their dubs (which the Saban dub very clearly is), never mind any other studios.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:28 pm

I'm going through the Kanzenshuu podcast from the beginning(so far i'm up to episode 28) and when I get to the episode that features the guy that talks about the original plans for the box set, i'll be sure to mention it on here.

It's a shame the RTD set came out so half-assed, i'm grateful the Saban version of Tree of Might was uploaded on the Internet Archive so I didn't have to buy the set just to get that version of the film.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

Honestly I was pretty happy with the RtD set, and I'm still incredibly grateful it happened at all. It covered the Ocean cast at their best, included all NEPs, had eyecatches, and even the previously unreleased TV version of Tree of Might along with "Stand by for Dragon Ball Z".

Okay so it wasn't the episode version of Tree of Might, but to me that's nitpicking, and it's amazing the TV version was made available at all.

It would have been incredible if they'd included the full edited OG Funi dub too, but to the masses there isn't enough to differentiate that from the remastered dub, which isn't that different to it from Trunks onward.

I know many would have liked to have the Westwood dub on there too, but that never aired in the US, so wouldn't really have been marketable.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

It would have been incredible if they'd included the full edited OG Funi dub too, but to the masses there isn't enough to differentiate that from the remastered dub, which isn't that different to it from Trunks onward.
I dunno I feel like "Dragon Ball Z" as you saw it on Toonami would have sold to the nostalgia crowd. Evidently the guy behind the Rock the Dragon set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqjJ-o ... e=youtu.be wanted the Toonami bumpers to be included but Cartoon Network couldn't find them in their archives. You're right though by Trunks the difference between the " remastered" and the old dub is negligible (too negligible in fact as they really needed to fix all their mistakes regarding Goku's history with the Red Ribbon army and the martial arts tournaments) By the Boo era pretty sure the only difference between the original uncut home release and the remastered version is the voice filters on Super Boo and coffee candy Vegito being removed and the announcer at the other world tournament being redubbed (for consistency with the video games I guess? Same reason they randomly redubbed Maron and two of the Spice Boys?)
I know many would have liked to have the Westwood dub on there too, but that never aired in the US, so wouldn't really have been marketable.
AB Groupe is more likely to have the masters than Funimation, I would think.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am
90sDBZ wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

It would have been incredible if they'd included the full edited OG Funi dub too, but to the masses there isn't enough to differentiate that from the remastered dub, which isn't that different to it from Trunks onward.
I dunno I feel like "Dragon Ball Z" as you saw it on Toonami would have sold to the nostalgia crowd. Evidently the guy behind the Rock the Dragon set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqjJ-o ... e=youtu.be wanted the Toonami bumpers to be included but Cartoon Network couldn't find them in their archives. You're right though by Trunks the difference between the " remastered" and the old dub is negligible (too negligible in fact as they really needed to fix all their mistakes regarding Goku's history with the Red Ribbon army and the martial arts tournaments) By the Boo era pretty sure the only difference between the original uncut home release and the remastered version is the voice filters on Super Boo and coffee candy Vegito being removed and the announcer at the other world tournament being redubbed (for consistency with the video games I guess? Same reason they randomly redubbed Maron and two of the Spice Boys?)
I know many would have liked to have the Westwood dub on there too, but that never aired in the US, so wouldn't really have been marketable.
AB Groupe is more likely to have the masters than Funimation, I would think.
After a certain point around the Garlic Jr. arc or shortly after they pretty much stopped the re dubbing altogether so it was more or less identical to the old dub from the bilingual single discs minus those aforementioned miniscule changes. That's why i maintain the whole thing was ultimately pointless in the long run, because yeah while the first go around of the Freeza episodes were no doubt awful from an acting and script standpoint the '07 OB revised version was just barely better with some of the worst lines and stuff removed but others remained. True, it was done to be more in line with the 2005 UUE redubs of the Saiyan and early Namek/Freeza episodes though they didn't go far enough in trying to make the dub more accurate to the original.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am
90sDBZ wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am
I know many would have liked to have the Westwood dub on there too, but that never aired in the US, so wouldn't really have been marketable.
AB Groupe is more likely to have the masters than Funimation, I would think.
First off, just because the Westwood dub didn't air in the US, doesn't mean it wouldn't be marketable. It's not hard to imagine that if an Ocean box set of 1-53 would sell, people would be interested in a version of that which would also include 108-276.
And remember, in Canada, the Westwood masters of 108-167 aired with Funimation's dub audio on it, so you could even dual-track those episodes. Throw in Funi 54-107 (either the Canadian edit, or the mainstream one), and double-up 168-276 to contain Funi's TV version of those episodes (maybe halve the number of episodes per disc for 168-276 so you can include both versions of each of those episodes on one disc), and you have everything.
Granted, this would be a big set, but they sold RTD as a collectors' box, so why not do it like this? It would pretty much close the book on people asking for the edited dubs, it would cater to both the American and Canadian audience, and MangaUK could import it and cater to the UK audience.
... But Funi would never do this.

Second off, AB Groupe only ever distributed the PAL version of the show to European territories that picked it up. Westwood Media, which is essentially a production arm of Ocean, actually produced it, so Ocean would most likely still have the original NTSC masters (including the less-edited Canadian versions of some episodes that were more edited on the PAL airings -- granted, evidence of the PAL airings having any additional cuts are inconsistent, but I do know for a fact that the Canadian airings had less motion blur censorship of flashing images), and Funi and Ocean have worked together since '98 (IIRC Funi had Ocean dub the last couple of seasons of a show they'd originally dubbed the first few of under another company, to have a consistent voice cast on the dub of the show. And in Dragon Ball specifically, Funi kept some of Ocean's writers on-board until at least GT. And of course, for Kai, they licensed Ocean's edited video master).
And Toei may have the masters somewhere.
And because Ocean's rights to record the Westwood dubs almost certainly came from a loophole in their contract to act as the local producer signing the actors' paychecks in the Saban era (Ian Corlett is fairly sure this is how it happened, and has talked about this stuff in the past a few times; given his involvement in these dubs, I think it's fair to assume he's right), I'm 99% sure Funimation could throw their weight around and release this dub on DVD without having to deal with any red tape about licensing or acquiring masters; the worst case is Funi have to license it from Ocean/IPP and could have the masters transferred and delivered with ease, and the best case is that the legalities of this all means Funi are alright entitled to the rights to release this stuff, and happen to have copies of these masters squirrelled away somewhere. The truth is likely closer to the worst case scenario tbh... Which isn't a problem.
Either way, I don't think AB Groupe enter into it at all.

The only thing that enters into any of this as a potential roadblock is that Funimation would have ZERO interest in acknowledging Ocean's post-1998 dubbing AT ALL. Anything that suggests Ocean's dubbing was anything more than an obscure, fun thing that happened briefly in the '90s and was over after just a year or two of this franchise's 25-year history (in America, as presented by Funimation. Though they frequently forget that part, conveniently enough...), forgotten as just some weird, obscure artefact of the '90s, would be antithetical to Funi's attitude on Ocean's work since the move in-house.
... So I don't think Funi would ever even consider doing this themselves. I think MangaUK COULD do something, but they don't tend to do their own releases, so it's unlikely.
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3692
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Also, remember when it was gonna be a split release (and the art direction they went for was much better. Tho it would been cool of they copied the original boxset art)

Image
It being called the "Original Broadcast" gives Robo some cred but it obviously it was changed to Toonami wich explanes the eyecatches NOT being from Toonami and Tree of Might NOT being episodic. So all in all, you both seem to be correct.

All in all, I'm glad we got these, cause while the singles are ok, they're missing NEP and the Madman ones are good but expensive and the I actually didn't care for them much. I don't know if it was ghosting or motion blur the just hurt my eyes with pans and fast action

Honestly, I'd like to see someone take the 30th set and make a "ocean" version. While the 30th set is not what it could be, it's consistent and 4:3 and after owning every release, it the one I'm content with.
Image
We need FUNi to produce SD-Bluray cause both the singles, RTD and even the Dragon Box dont look so hot on newer TVs. But seeing the quality of the Dragon Boxes (being a tad better than the Japanese Dragon Box, they actually might look pretty good.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2593
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Image
It being called the "Original Broadcast" gives Robo some cred but it obviously it was changed to Toonami wich explanes the eyecatches NOT being from Toonami and Tree of Might NOT being episodic. So all in all, you both seem to be correct.
I mean, I get the impression the people currently at Funimation are genuinely not aware that the the show was originally first-run syndication. They consistently refer to it as "the original Toonami broadcast" The podcast that Robo refers to earlier specifies that they did try to get the Toonami promos but Cartoon Network couldn't find them. And, again, Tree of Might on the RTD set is shown as the tv version in movie format because that is how it aired on Toonami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C95AFQXyzmI

More than likely the people working at Funimation NOW just knew the dub started in 1996 and confused that with the Toonami start date. People involved now like Chris Sabat, and Justin Cook, and Carly Hunter weren't involved with Funimation until later. And the people who were involved like Barry Watson, Daniel Cocanougher, and Chris Neel were long gone.

The Funimation cast hardly acts like there was a dub before they took over to begin with. I've seen more a couple of them refer to themselves as "the original (insert) character here"

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:25 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Also, remember when it was gonna be a split release (and the art direction they went for was much better. Tho it would been cool of they copied the original boxset art)
It being called the "Original Broadcast" gives Robo some cred but it obviously it was changed to Toonami wich explanes the eyecatches NOT being from Toonami and Tree of Might NOT being episodic. So all in all, you both seem to be correct.
Where did you get that? Was there like an announcement blog post or something? Or was this linked from that Kanzenshuu podcast? Or is this a fan-created thing based off an announcement?
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Honestly, I'd like to see someone take the 30th set and make a "ocean" version. While the 30th set is not what it could be, it's consistent and 4:3 and after owning every release, it the one I'm content with.
It's consistent in much the same was as the Season BDs are. That is, consistently shit. Yes, they're 4:3 at last... Much like how your on-fire house has had its windows replaced. Still only a small comfort when the house itself is still burning down.

The smeary, jagged, background-destroying, wobbly filtering still means you've got an utterly awful image. Look at the clouds in the 30th set-based title card recreation you posted; looks utterly awful. I still don't understand how anyone calls this shit even remotely tolerable. It's not even better than Funi's other releases, since Funi did briefly put out the Dragon Boxes, and the DVD singles are out there too... It's just yet another bad release for the pile.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
We need FUNi to produce SD-Bluray cause both the singles, RTD and even the Dragon Box dont look so hot on newer TVs. But seeing the quality of the Dragon Boxes (being a tad better than the Japanese Dragon Box, they actually might look pretty good.
SD-BD Dragon Box-based DVDs would be nice.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
This recreation is greatly flawed. The ugly 30th set footage aside, the font is wrong.

Here's my own recreation, with the original for comparison:
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3692
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:25 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Also, remember when it was gonna be a split release (and the art direction they went for was much better. Tho it would been cool of they copied the original boxset art)
It being called the "Original Broadcast" gives Robo some cred but it obviously it was changed to Toonami wich explanes the eyecatches NOT being from Toonami and Tree of Might NOT being episodic. So all in all, you both seem to be correct.
Where did you get that? Was there like an announcement blog post or something? Or was this linked from that Kanzenshuu podcast? Or is this a fan-created thing based off an announcement?
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Honestly, I'd like to see someone take the 30th set and make a "ocean" version. While the 30th set is not what it could be, it's consistent and 4:3 and after owning every release, it the one I'm content with.
It's consistent in much the same was as the Season BDs are. That is, consistently shit. Yes, they're 4:3 at last... Much like how your on-fire house has had its windows replaced. Still only a small comfort when the house itself is still burning down.

The smeary, jagged, background-destroying, wobbly filtering still means you've got an utterly awful image. Look at the clouds in the 30th set-based title card recreation you posted; looks utterly awful. I still don't understand how anyone calls this shit even remotely tolerable. It's not even better than Funi's other releases, since Funi did briefly put out the Dragon Boxes, and the DVD singles are out there too... It's just yet another bad release for the pile.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
We need FUNi to produce SD-Bluray cause both the singles, RTD and even the Dragon Box dont look so hot on newer TVs. But seeing the quality of the Dragon Boxes (being a tad better than the Japanese Dragon Box, they actually might look pretty good.
SD-BD Dragon Box-based DVDs would be nice.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm
This recreation is greatly flawed. The ugly 30th set footage aside, the font is wrong.

Here's my own recreation, with the original for comparison:
It was back when before it was announced in a trades magazine/website for people looking to buy products for their stores, if I recall. You can read up about the development in the origknal thread (where I orignally saw this)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22603

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:25 pm
Where did you get that? Was there like an announcement blog post or something? Or was this linked from that Kanzenshuu podcast? Or is this a fan-created thing based off an announcement?
That was the original promotional art that circulated when the Rock the Dragon set was first announced in early 2013.

Obviously, the final released version was entirely different, and as you've been saying, it seems that the original conception of what the set was intended to be ended up changing by the time of release as well.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 am

I remember that original cover for RtD. I also remember everyone being really confused because one website had a description saying "the fan favourite Ocean group have returned to redub the Dragon Ball Z series" or something to that affect. At the time some people speculated it was actually Ocean Kai, with that cover as a placeholder.

How cool would it have been though if they had released the entire 276 run of Z in individual volumes as "The Original Broadcast".

C. Smith
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:13 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by C. Smith » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 pm

So, there's a possibility for a Canadian Toonami on Adult Swim Canada. Don't count too much on it

Post Reply