Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4025
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 am

Selection of the background music is the very thing that makes me not to love Dragon Ball Kai. There have been so many moments when the music felt out of place. Have you ever felt the same way? If so, when and why?


My worst moments ranking:

#1 - Vegeta Gets Hit with a Genkidama
Why the hell did Nagasaki put a happy and peaceful theme here? This makes the scene look like a silly show for babies. It would have been better if he had put a serious piece here, then a happy theme after that.

#2 - Piccolo Fuses with Kami-sama
This scene simply needs more silence. With the droning music, no tense feeling exists here. In addition, the cheerful theme plays when Piccolo flies off really ruins the atmosphere.

#3 - Trunks vs King Cold
Sounds like "Hey, this new piece is cool, isn't this? I put the whole thing here for you guys. Enjoy!". I can't catch what King Cold is saying when he is begging for mercy since the volume is ridiculously loud.

#4 - Goku's Kamehameha with Kaioken Times 20
Just too peaceful for a scene filled with a tense feeling.

#5 - Every Time "A Grim Fate" Plays
The sad beginning part always sounds out of place. The worst scene is the end of episode 90. Gohan gets ready with a brave theme, then suddenly a sad piece plays. What the hell? Did he want us to laugh at that sudden gap?

#6 - Trunks Appears for the First Time
Nagasaki should have put a darker and more mysterious piece here. The brave music he put does not fit the appearance of a mysterious person.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2918
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:04 am

kei17 wrote:Selection of the background music is the very point that makes me not to love Dragon Ball Kai. There have been so many moments when the music felt out of place. Have you ever felt the same way? If so, when and why?

*My worst moments ranking coming soon
For me its the music that plays in the over 8000 scene.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am

kei17 wrote:Selection of the background music is the very thing that makes me not to love Dragon Ball Kai. There have been so many moments when the music felt out of place. Have you ever felt the same way? If so, when and why?


My worst moments ranking:

#1 - Vegeta Got Hit with a Genkidama
Why the hell did Nagasaki put a happy and peaceful theme here? This makes the scene look like a silly show for babies. It would be better if he had put a serious piece here, then a happy theme after that.
Really? I thought it was more interesting than what they used in DBZ. Sure, the theme is premature, but that's what makes it so great, since everyone truly do believe that they have just won the battle.

Here's the page on "Kanzentai".

User avatar
jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 am
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Destiny being used when ReaCoom broke Gohan's neck. The silence in DBZ's version of that scene worked so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I like Destiny, but it shouldn't have been used in that scene.
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4025
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Really? I thought it was more interesting than what they used in DBZ. Sure, the theme is premature, but that's what makes it so great, since everyone truly do believe that they have just won the battle.
No, they still haven't been sure of their victory at that time yet. Everyone is just amazed and astounded by the great power of Genkidama. After Vegeta vanishes, they get a grasp of the situation and relief, then be happy at last. The feeling of tension should have been maintained until that moment. Putting a happy theme right after Gohan bouces the Genkidama is nothing less than inappropriate. It ruins one of the greatest pulse-pounding scenes in the series.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Goku's Transformation.

I like the music in Kai. I don't really notice it being out of place often, but I felt like Toei could have done so much better with the choice in music this time around. But instead they went with a track they've used a thousand times, again.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I thought "The Braveheart's Triumphant Return" worked well for Goku's 20x Kaioken. Though they do use it again when he declares he's the Super Saiyan a few episodes later, and it works even better there.

It's also my favorite piece of music from Kai.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13305
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm

kei17 wrote:My worst moments ranking:

#1 - Vegeta Gets Hit with a Genkidama
Why the hell did Nagasaki put a happy and peaceful theme here? This makes the scene look like a silly show for babies. It would be better if he had put a serious piece here, then a happy theme after that.
Oh wow, I'm just now relistening to it...and boy, that is bad. It's like somebody fumbled the formatting on the audio timeline and forgot to realign the music.

I've got to agree, though, over all the music selection has been pretty weak for Dragon Ball Kai. Sometimes the right pieces are used...sometimes too many pieces are used. It is as if they do not know what they wanted to accomplish with the score, so they just tossed in a bunch of music right after each piece.
She/Her | Bisexual | Fujoshi | Twitter: JulieYBM

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by penguintruth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 pm

I think the music selection's been a lot better in the Artificial Human/Cell arc.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 pm

penguintruth wrote:I thought "The Braveheart's Triumphant Return" worked well for Goku's 20x Kaioken. Though they do use it again when he declares he's the Super Saiyan a few episodes later, and it works even better there.

It's also my favorite piece of music from Kai.
I have to agree to this as well. To me, it sound like a good Kai equivalent to the Genki Dama movie 3 piece used in both scenes from the original Z series.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4025
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I thought "The Braveheart's Triumphant Return" worked well for Goku's 20x Kaioken. Though they do use it again when he declares he's the Super Saiyan a few episodes later, and it works even better there.

It's also my favorite piece of music from Kai.
I have to agree to this as well. To me, it sound like a good Kai equivalent to the Genki Dama movie 3 piece used in both scenes from the original Z series.
It sounded that way in the beginning, but they should have changed the music after Goku shoots Kamehameha. It sounds too peaceful in the end.

User avatar
xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 am

kei17 wrote:
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I thought "The Braveheart's Triumphant Return" worked well for Goku's 20x Kaioken. Though they do use it again when he declares he's the Super Saiyan a few episodes later, and it works even better there.

It's also my favorite piece of music from Kai.
I have to agree to this as well. To me, it sound like a good Kai equivalent to the Genki Dama movie 3 piece used in both scenes from the original Z series.
It sounded that way in the beginning, but they should have changed the music after Goku shoots Kamehameha. It sounds too peaceful in the end.
True true, It definitely could've used some trimming down before the Kamehameha was fired. When I first watched the scene of Freeza struggling with the blast while the heroic sounding music kept playing, I too shared the same feelings as you, but I let it go just as quickly as it irked me.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4025
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 am

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:True true, It definitely could've used some trimming down before the Kamehameha was fired. When I first watched the scene of Freeza struggling with the blast while the heroic sounding music kept playing, I too shared the same feelings as you, but I let it go just as quickly as it irked me.
I tried to shorten the piece, but it didn't work because of the calm ending. So I put some different pieces here. It became less dramatic, but fitting at least.

User avatar
jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 am
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 am

kei17 wrote:I tried to shorten the piece, but it didn't work because of the calm ending. So I put some different pieces here. It became less dramatic, but fitting at least.
Personally, I probably would've gone with A Mighty Foe, but your version is pretty cool, too. :D
-Joey

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I agree with Kei17, plus I'm not too happy with the music placement Nagasaki gave Trunks x Mecha-Freeza scene.

So let's say, is there such thing as "intended music" on Dragon Ball Kai?

I've only heard Yamamoto Kai's music from Saiyan-Freeza, including, bits and pieces of the Artificial Human arc, and it could've been much better.

Is Nagasaki currently the person in charge of all music placements on Dragon Ball content in Japan? If so then I guess I should be mad at him not Takaki.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Travis Touchdown
Regular
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:05 am

For me, the absolute WORST music placement was when Gohan breaks the news to Chi Chi that Goku died and isn't coming back. This was a really sad scene in the original, but with the happy up beat Dragon Soul mix playing, really underplays that Goku's dead for real this time. I would've edited this a little differently, and had a soft sad theme playing gently in the background as Gohan breaks the news to Chi Chi.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

User avatar
Jackal puFF
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 am

Lol, I actually laughed when that song played as Vegeta got hit by the bomb. I was like what the hell?

And that song for Trunks first appearance is just an ear bleed.. Not only does it fit, it's just a bad sound period.

Can't remember the other scenes that well.

User avatar
Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:11 am

For me it's that they place the SAME track one episode after another. Watching them on DVD it's like they have a rule saying "you can only use this track ONCE per episode. If you want to use it again, then save it for the battle sequence next episode."

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Lol, I actually laughed when that song played as Vegeta got hit by the bomb. I was like what the hell?
It is a quite funny moment with the song that Nagasaki chose. :P

Other bad placements:
- Kai Ep. 98 with Dragon Soul while Chichi's crying.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Jackal puFF
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Moments You Found the Music Out of Place

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Hahaha, that scene made me laugh too! Chi-chi crying while happy music is playing, oh man.. Everything else in that montage was good though.

Post Reply