Kai Episode 98 Canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 98 Canceled

Post by sbk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

I don't think I can actually watch the Freeza/Cell arc in DBZ pace anymore

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Rocketman wrote:

What're you talking about? Z is a puddle of cold piss next to Kai.

A gigantic puddle that people love to swim in because "there's so much content~ nothing cut out~ gulpgulpgulp".
What!? :lol:

Just to be clear, I still love DBZ. The thing is I don't watch DBK. I think it's kind of pointless to re-voice and re-animate the series just for the sake of having a refreshed version. Did it really need it? Over here in the US though, DBZK actually is a refreshed version of the original DBZ series. The DBZ series was done so half-assed over here it really did need some kind of refreshment or re-dub and DBZK was it.

I can't watch DBK because I think the Japanese version of DBZ is fine the way it is. What's the point of watching a re-voiced version of something I really love? Sure I don't like the Boo arc but, I've watched it, it's entertainment. I'm just not too crazy about it, and I rather have the ending of the Cell arc be the end of the story.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Well isn't that just a great kick in the nuts? Not only is Toei not completing Kai they are canceling the final episode(which has been finished) so that they can show Toriko on time. Whatever hope Toriko had of me liking the show just went down the fucking tube.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Just to be clear, I still love DBZ. The thing is I don't watch DBK. I think it's kind of pointless to re-voice and re-animate the series just for the sake of having a refreshed version. Did it really need it?
Five minutes.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Just to be clear, I still love DBZ. The thing is I don't watch DBK. I think it's kind of pointless to re-voice and re-animate the series just for the sake of having a refreshed version. Did it really need it?
Five minutes.
Well played. In return I'm going to pull the "Imperfections are part of it's charm" card. :wink:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well played. In return I'm going to pull the "Imperfections are part of it's charm" card. :wink:
Not only that, but it still couldn't fix the GOD AWFUL ART and inconsistent animation studios being cut back and forth between now in the span of a single episode instead of over the course of two to at least fake you into believing it was looking pretty OK (specifically talking about SSJ Goku vs Freeza, here).

But, hey. Whatever.

Also, dude: "its". Possessive. Thwap.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Well isn't that just a great kick in the nuts? Not only is Toei not completing Kai they are canceling the final episode(which has been finished) so that they can show Toriko on time. Whatever hope Toriko had of me liking the show just went down the fucking tube.
While I have zero interest in Toriko, it isn't Toriko's fault that Kai is Being where it is. Blame Towing, Fuji TV, or the earthquake that threw everything out of whack.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Kendamu wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Well isn't that just a great kick in the nuts? Not only is Toei not completing Kai they are canceling the final episode(which has been finished) so that they can show Toriko on time. Whatever hope Toriko had of me liking the show just went down the fucking tube.
While I have zero interest in Toriko, it isn't Toriko's fault that Kai is Being where it is. Blame Towing, Fuji TV, or the earthquake that threw everything out of whack.
It's not Toriko, it's Toei and how they are handling the transition. They could have easily bumped Toriko's debut a week later in order to finish the last episode of Kai.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:It's not Toriko, it's Toei and how they are handling the transition. They could have easily bumped Toriko's debut a week later in order to finish the last episode of Kai.
Why on Earth would they bump the heavily-promoted debut episode of a new TV adaptation of a series that's doing huge numbers for them, and instead play an extraneous episode from a series that they're winding down because it's doing crap numbers for them?

I love the series to death, and even *I'M* not dumb enough to do that.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:It's not Toriko, it's Toei and how they are handling the transition. They could have easily bumped Toriko's debut a week later in order to finish the last episode of Kai.
Why on Earth would they bump the heavily-promoted debut episode of a new TV adaptation of a series that's doing huge numbers for them, and instead play an extraneous episode from a series that they're winding down because it's doing crap numbers for them?

You're totally going to hate me for this(readies flame shield) but that's like asking why Funimation should have put out the Dragonbox when the orange bricks and Falconer music were already making them money. Yes, Kai's audience is small but that doesn't mean the fanbase should get shafted. At least give them the final episode; I'm even willing to bet they already finished it, so that's money already lost...might as well put it to use.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

You're totally going to hate me for this(readies flame shield) but that's like asking why Funimation should have put out the Dragonbox when the orange bricks and Falconer music were already making them money. Yes, Kai's audience is small but that doesn't mean the fanbase should get shafted. At least give them the final episode; I'm even willing to bet they already finished it, so that's money already lost...might as well put it to use.
You're acting like the episode isn't going to be on home video, which it very likely well will be.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:04 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:You're totally going to hate me for this(readies flame shield) but that's like asking why Funimation should have put out the Dragonbox when the orange bricks and Falconer music were already making them money. Yes, Kai's audience is small but that doesn't mean the fanbase should get shafted. At least give them the final episode; I'm even willing to bet they already finished it, so that's money already lost...might as well put it to use.
DVD releases are things people buy.

A TV broadcast of a dying series is something that gives them basically jack-shit.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:46 pm

sbk wrote:I don't think I can actually watch the Freeza/Cell arc in DBZ pace anymore
This. This is what made Kai good. The pacing worked. So much for that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 am

TripleRach wrote:There's been a trend lately of shows in Japan having a final DVD-exclusive episode. So I think it's quite possible Toei will do the same with Kai. It would be a way to boost sales for the last DVD and BD box.
And here's one example I just found in my newsreader. The show in question hasn't even started airing yet, but already they're announcing a DVD-exclusive special. I'm not sure if any Toei series have ever done this sort of thing, but there's a first for everything.

Also, Happinet still has the home releases listed as 98 episodes, with the final DVD only containing 97 and 98. Obviously that could all change (there were alterations to the tentative end of the Freeza arc, after all), but it's something.
-Rachel

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well played. In return I'm going to pull the "Imperfections are part of it's charm" card. :wink:
Not only that, but it still couldn't fix the GOD AWFUL ART and inconsistent animation studios being cut back and forth between now in the span of a single episode instead of over the course of two to at least fake you into believing it was looking pretty OK (specifically talking about SSJ Goku vs Freeza, here).
Yeah, this was definitely one of the worst things about Kai imo. The animation changing dramatically mid episode would make me laugh out loud.

If the third wave of Dragon Ball fandom does happen sometime down the line, I hope they just reanimate the entire series with Movie 9 animation. As nice as, say, the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans looked... there's something off about it for me. AAA animated episodes of Z are some of the sexiest animation in the history of animation :D

Rythen

Post by Rythen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:47 pm

NeoKING wrote:
sbk wrote:I don't think I can actually watch the Freeza/Cell arc in DBZ pace anymore
This. This is what made Kai good. The pacing worked. So much for that.
The pacing felt very nice, from what I compare with DBZ episodes. Kai is my first viewing of DBZ, so it's a bit overwhelming now to look at how long the Buu arc alone is going to be compared to the entirety of the past 3 Kai-ified.

So I have to admit it's sad to see Kai go, seeing as it's how I got into the series in the first place.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 pm

TripleRach wrote:And at least 97 is the end of the main story. It's not like the TV airings will end on an unresolved cliffhanger.
"But...but...does Trunks really get rid of #17 and #18? Does he really bring peace to his time? And wouldn't there be a Cell in his time, too?!"

:P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:

But, hey. Whatever.

Also, dude: "its". Possessive. Thwap.

I can see your point here, but even during the original series, there were plenty of examples (especially as the series progressed) of inconsistent animation during a single episode. Often times the "A" team would draw everything on one half of an episode break, while a lesser "B" team would tackle the other. Sometimes it would be even less consistent than that. I believe the fight between 17 and Piccolo is a prime example of this, though I don't plan on digging through my dvd collection right now just to prove it.

So, in short, Kai certainly didn't do anything to fix the problem, but inconsistent animation within a single episode is NOTHING new to the series.

Also, punctuation marks go inside the closing quotation mark. Please stop doing that. BOM!

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:50 am

So, was this episode actually made and not aired, or not made at all?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 am

gmster wrote:So, was this episode actually made and not aired, or not made at all?
We think so, I believe someone said they make 5 episodes at a time, air them, make 5 episodes again when those have been aired, and air those.
So mondo lame.