Who would you choose to make a replacement soundtrack

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Re: Who would you choose to make a replacement soundtrack

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 am

For me, I would of loved to see either Kohei Tanaka (One Piece) or Shinji Miyazaki (Pokemon/Pocket Monsters) do a new score.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:53 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Just toss in the Faulconer score and we're good.
No.
Yeah, it'd probably be better if you gave an actual reason instead of dismissively saying no in spite of the fact that it's not like it wouldn't just be there because they thought the original soundtrack wasn't good enough.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:19 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:
No.
Yeah, it'd probably be better if you gave an actual reason instead of dismissively saying no in spite of the fact that it's not like it wouldn't just be there because they thought the original soundtrack wasn't good enough.
Well, I will say that post wasn't necessarily conducive to an open forum, but at the same time, I get where he's coming from. I'd rather see that score, for all intents and purposes, fade away and never, ever return.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm

While I would personally be much happier with that as an option, it would be really nice if they re-edited it to get rid of some of the crap (and no, that's not an invitation for someone to say "lulz!!1111! its all crap!") and stop it from playing all the time. The Faulconer score will never make some DBZ fans happy and they want it wiped off the face of the earth. Simultaneously, there are plenty of DBZ fans for whom that score IS the DBZ score. I, for one, hope that one of their later releases includes the Faulconer score as an option like the Season Sets did.

Of course, a re-edit is NEVER going to happen beyond fan projects because Bruce is very litigious and Funi probably wants nothing to do with him. So that brings me back to the original quote above, which I'll echo for myself: just toss in the Faulconer score and we're good.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:
No.
-- It is non-stop synthesized artificial nonsense created for the sole purpose of holding the attention of American children.

-- It has absolutely no place in Dragon Ball.

-- I find it not enjoyable, almost the point where I'd say it's annoying to listen to.

-- I feel like anyone who does think it should be in Kai is either on a nostalgia trip or has zero taste in music.

But you knew this already, so I figured I'd spare you the trouble of reading it again.
KaiserNeko wrote:Well, I will say that post wasn't necessarily conducive to an open forum, but at the same time, I get where he's coming from. I'd rather see that score, for all intents and purposes, fade away and never, ever return.
Thanks for understanding. But it's not like I said "no" and nothing else. I put out my idea for a replacement score. :P

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:28 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote: -- It is non-stop synthesized artificial nonsense created for the sole purpose of holding the attention of American children.

-- It has absolutely no place in Dragon Ball.

-- I find it not enjoyable, almost the point where I'd say it's annoying to listen to.

-- I feel like anyone who does think it should be in Kai is either on a nostalgia trip or has zero taste in music.

But you knew this already, so I figured I'd spare you the trouble of reading it again.
Anyone who thinks the Kikuchi score should be in Kai is either on a nostalgia trip or has zero taste in music because the Kikuchi score is not enjoyable, almost to the point of being annoying to listen to.

Not trying to start a fight, just proving a point. This opinion is just as valid as yours. Personally, I think the Faulconer score does have a place in Kai, and in fact I listen to it a lot outside of the context of the show because I find much of the soundtrack very enjoyable. Yes, some tracks are annoying to listen to, but in the subjective realm of music, to each his own. For example, I find rap/hip hop not enjoyable, to the point where it is in fact annoying to listen to. But I don't think anyone who listens to it has zero taste in music, and the same would be true of anyone who suggested it should be in DBKai.

On behalf of all Faulconer fans on this site, whether Kikuchi fans like it or not, Faulconer is part of Dragon Ball and does have a place in the series. Let us enjoy that score while you enjoy the Kikuchi score.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Very reluctantly removed my previous post due to dwelling off topic and potentially turning this thread into a "Kikuchi VS. Faulconer" argument.

I will say, however, that implying Kikuchi should not be in a Dragon Ball anime is not anywhere near as valid as saying that a replacement score exclusively created to cater to American children should not be.
Last edited by ohaimynameiserik on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:43 pm

I swear, everyone in the fandom is divided over freaking music. Whether its Faulconer, Kikuchi or now Yamamoto. Whether you guys like all 3 or some of the music, just please let the person share his opinion without being backlash. :|
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote: -- I feel like anyone who does think it should be in Kai is either on a nostalgia trip or has zero taste in music.
And people wonder why there are so many arguments on here. Wasn't this thread about who you would chose to make a replacement score? I'll pick whoever I damn well please, and yes, I do think it would be a great pick for the faster paced, modern Kai. Just make a few adjustments like having pauses and such, and I think it'd work. Oh but wait, I forgot, anybody who likes it has awful taste :roll:

But since Faulconer is apparently banished from this thread, I'll go with RZA. He makes some pretty elaborate shit nowadays and it'd be a perfect fit.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 am

Well, if you're going to ask someone to expand upon their personal reasoning for not liking the one score that you like, be prepared to have it fully fleshed out in front of you in a way that you probably won't like. I mean, you literally asked for it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:36 am

The composer of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers AKA Ronin Warriors. It's 80s synthesized rock music done right.

Bee

Post by Bee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I made a video where Goku goes SSJ with Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Music. It was a VideoPad file so I can't upload it to Youtube. Does anyone know how to convert that file to a file type that can upload to Youtube?

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
LCD Soundsystem

ughh Dragonball Z would be so gooood.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Because I'm probably crazy:

Queen
ACDC
The Opening theme by Ron Wasserman
And for a not serious joke: The Ginyu Force's Theme: Dare to be Stupid by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Hey, it would be an energetic series.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Yuki Kajiura - She composed excellent music for plenty Anime series,like: Noir, Mai-HiME, Mai-Otome, Tsubasa Chronicle,I'm sure she would do great tracks for Kai as well
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Bee

Post by Bee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 pm

The composer for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22RojliqzA

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:I will say, however, that implying Kikuchi should not be in a Dragon Ball anime is not anywhere near as valid as saying that a replacement score exclusively created to cater to American children should not be.
As opposed to a non-replacement score exclusively created to cater to Japanese children? Being that Kai is by and large a series made for children, I don't understand what point you're trying to make or how what you've said is supposed to be insulting... One thing is certain however, you knowingly tried very hard to be insulting and I can see right through it and so could other posters. Unwarranted condescension like this is irritating beyond belief.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Kuwabara wrote:As opposed to a non-replacement score exclusively created to cater to Japanese children?
It wasn't, though. It was clear from Toei's new business model (shown off via quarterly and yearly presentations) that their goal, and specifically with Kai, was to create a derivative project based on a mass-market, globally-successful franchise that could potentially match its prior success.

So no, the new score was NOT made specifically with Japanese children in mind -- every single last aspect of the production was made with the global market in mind (except, of course, potentially the voice actors, which of course would be replaced in international dubs).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:As opposed to a non-replacement score exclusively created to cater to Japanese children?
It wasn't, though. It was clear from Toei's new business model (shown off via quarterly and yearly presentations) that their goal, and specifically with Kai, was to create a derivative project based on a mass-market, globally-successful franchise that could potentially match its prior success.

So no, the new score was NOT made specifically with Japanese children in mind -- every single last aspect of the production was made with the global market in mind (except, of course, potentially the voice actors, which of course would be replaced in international dubs).
I was not speaking of the new score made specifically for Kai, but rather Shunsuke Kikuchi's music, which was composed over twenty years ago for Dragon Ball Z for what I'm guessing was a slightly different market. If we're speaking about Kenji Yamamoto's score along with various other aspects of Kai, I would agree with you that Toei was trying to broaden their audience significantly. However, the user ohaimynameiserik referred to Kikuchi and Faulconer, and by extension DBZ, exclusively. So unless they actually chose Kikuchi with the global market in mind for DBZ as well (At that time, I find such foresight on their part doubtful), I still stand by my initial post.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

chafenhimer

Post by chafenhimer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Yeah, but you even admitted yourself (or someone on your site did, either in an article or on the podcast) that Kai was basically a lazy cash grab by Toei to try and get a quick buck off of an old franchise. Which is almost as bad as being intended for Japanese children.