Why is the Replacement Score so Limited?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Why is the Replacement Score so Limited?

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I recently noticed that there were some people doing the musical placement besides Nagasaki. They're listed in the ending credits on the Kai-Kikuchi mix DVD/BD releases.

Musical Placement: Hideyuki Tanaka

*I posted this once but it doesn't show up at all, so I did once again. Sorry if this is a double-posting.*

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Since Fuji TV TWO was free for a day, I recorded Kai episodes.

Kaioken Times 20 (Official Musical Placement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMB2BwB2OM

What a disappointment.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

kei17 wrote:Since Fuji TV TWO was free for a day, I recorded Kai episodes.

Kaioken Times 20 (Official Musical Placement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMB2BwB2OM

What a disappointment.
The music mix for the second piece was too quiet. :( I think the first piece could have been cut off a bit sooner than it was, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:36 am

That`s it, these guys, Hideyuki Tanaka and Nagasaki really got talent, not only they killed Dragon Ball Kai, but they made Kikuchi score look bad, i will be sure to not touch any anime where they got involved :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am

coola wrote:That`s it, these guys, Hideyuki Tanaka and Nagasaki really got talent, not only they killed Dragon Ball Kai, but they made Kikuchi score look bad, i will be sure to not touch any anime where they got involved :(
Hideyuki Tanaka is the one who placed the score in the original TV series of Hokuto No Ken and he's usually good. A person who has never been involved in the DB franchise suddenly got hired to immediately place the pieces of music which are very limited.. I can't blame him. In addition, episodes done by Tanaka generally aren't that bad. The real poorly-done episodes are those which done by Satoshi Motoyama.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 pm

I think the replacement score is limited because it's cheaper I guess? I mean there are stereo tracks of movies 3, 11, 12 and 13, but they can't use them because it's cheaper to not get the rights to them. IDK, but that's my theory. Columbia is cheaper than Toei. This is the reason why most of the soundtracks they release have a very small selection of music. My other theory is that they have plenty of money to remaster soundtracks, they just don't want to do it. That's being cheap.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Just wondering, have all of the stereo pieces been utilized between as of now?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just wondering, have all of the stereo pieces been utilized between as of now?
As far as I know, they have been using only 64 out of 91 pieces and one mono piece. Almost nothing has changed.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Wow, that's interesting. How come they're using a mono piece?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:04 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Wow, that's interesting. How come they're using a mono piece?
The only mono piece they have been using is M1801, which is actually available in stereo on the individual Movie 10 soundtrack CD. It is pretty ridiculous that they are meaninglessly using the mono mixed version on DBZ BGM collection. Even if they don't know the existence of the stereo mixed version, it is incomprehensible that they are using it instead of the millions of other famous mono pieces.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:13 am

Man, I wish Toei would put some money into better maintaining the music, at least. I'd hate to think of the composition notes being lost and new recordings of the music become an impossibility.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:17 am

I watched episode 82 and surprisingly, M920, one of Piccolo's themes, plays in it though it's in mono. I've never heard it in any other episodes. I don't understand what they are thinking. Are they just lazy enough not to organise which they have access to? I can't stand their incompetence, seriously. Maybe I'd better not listen to the Kikuchi-Kai mix anymore, but the fanboyness inside me forces me to do.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:16 pm

kei17 wrote:I watched episode 82 and surprisingly, M920, one of Piccolo's themes, plays in it though it's in mono. I've never heard it in any other episodes.
I too thought that Piccolo's theme was surprising to hear when I gave my thoughts on the Nicktoons Broadcast Thread. To me though (even if slightly misplaced) it was a welcome surprise to have something else besides the "usual" Kikuchi tracks they always seem to use. However, I did hear Piccolo's theme in only one previous episode.

I still have a recorded Toonzai version of episode 36 "[Freeza] closes in! Mighty Porunga grant out wish!" and honestly that has to be the most diverse episode of Kai I ever hear, in terms of music placement. I don't know what it is about that episode in particular, but I've been meaning to talk/ask about it for quite some time now. Let me just list the music tracks really quick.

After the title card, the episode begins by using:

- M818 - Garlic Jr. Falls Into The Dead Zone [DBZ Movie 1]
- M742 – Horns And Drums (transitions in the middle of M818)
- M735 - Snake Way
- M920 - Fighting The Possessed Piccolo [DBZ Movie 2]
- M1307 - Piccolo Tears Apart The Cyclo-Bots [DBZ Movie 6]
- M2021 - The Need to Fuse [DBZ Movie 12]
- M1824 - Goku's Father-Son Victory [DBZ Movie 10] (also used nicely as a transition to Kami's temple)
- M806 - Garlic Jr. Summons Shenlong [DBZ Movie 1]
- M1023 - Haunting Chorus (The World is Healed) [DBZ Movie 3]
- M1314 - Coola's Multiplicity [DBZ Movie 6]
- M1525 - The Tragic Battle [DBZ Movie 8]

As I said, it's quite a variety of tracks that they've played in this episode, which to me was a great thing! I mean, aside from scaling the full spectrum of Kikuchi's BGM, It actually felt like a DBZ episode with an accurate dub! Although it makes me wonder who was in charge of the music arrangement for episode 36. Was it one of the regulars who arranges them? I also wonder if it's only a one time thing to have a variety like this, since the episodes before/after this one seems back to being limited again. I'm aware that they had a few Movie 3 pieces removed from earlier broadcasts for reasons I'm forgetting, but it makes me wonder if they'd do the same once this episode broadcasts again. I'd really curious to know.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:However, I did hear Piccolo's theme in only one previous episode.
Really? I don't hear it in episode 81.
After the title card, the episode begins by using:

*snips*
Interesting. The same thing happened to the Japanese version as well. The rerun on TV Shizuoka which began just after Yamamoto's scandal had the same wide choice, but the pieces from movie 3, 11 and 12 and most of the mono pieces got replaced immediately after that.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm

kei17 wrote: Really? I don't hear it in episode 81.
My fault, let me make that more clear. I meant to say the the only previous episode I heard M920 in was episode 37, the one I talked about.
kei17 wrote: Interesting. The same thing happened to the Japanese version as well. The rerun on TV Shizuoka which began just after Yamamoto's scandal had the same wide choice, but the pieces from movie 3, 11 and 12 and most of the mono pieces got replaced immediately after that.
Oh I see, then it must have been a result of them not replacing those pieces just yet. I wonder if future airings of that episode will replace the pieces from movies 3 and 12? I'd say it's highly likely since it's happened to other episodes just like it.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 am

It is like I mention earlier:
I don't think they are putting the money they already have into all of the released tracks. That's pretty cheap of them.