Dragon Ball Z Kai - Part Eight

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai - Part Eight

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:07 am

kei17 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I thought he was talking about the dub because he used "dub names", and that line was in the dub for the Nicktoons broadcast. The way it's worded is sorta vague though, so I could also be wrong... :?
I checked out the Nicktoons version, and yeah, Goku says that wrong line.. So, he wanted to write "dub" instead of "sub"? If so, I'm sorry Mr Simmons! :P
Travis Touchdown wrote:Also, the sub I saw of Vegeta leaving the battle field had him say, "I have to go train," however, this version has him say, "I shall never fight again," which I really liked. However, they had Goku say, "King Kai is back to normal thanks to Shenron," even though King Kai's halo is clearly still present in episode 97. It's not edited out in the slightest.
I'm sure he's referring to a fansub there, because Simmons never translated it as "I have to go train".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:13 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I'm sure he's referring to a fansub there, because Simmons never translated it as "I have to go train".
Ah, now I get it. He compared a fansub to the uncut Kai dub. Anyway, it's a shame that they didn't notice the mistake in the dub. They could have correct it as they had much time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 25, 2012 6:43 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:Also, the sub I saw of Vegeta leaving the battle field had him say, "I have to go train," however, this version has him say, "I shall never fight again," which I really liked. However, they had Goku say, "King Kai is back to normal thanks to Shenron," even though King Kai's halo is clearly still present in episode 97. It's not edited out in the slightest.
The English Kai subtitles has King Kai instead of Kaio-sama? That's really weird. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

EDIT: Nevermind! I was wrong
Last edited by ohaimynameiserik on Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
The English Kai subtitles has King Kai instead of Kaio-sama? That's really weird. :?
Could be an error. It happens.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 25, 2012 9:39 am

Your / You're might be an accident that isn't noticeable at first, but "King Kai" is.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Has anyone gotten to...um...Episode 97, I think, yet? Whichever one ends with Dragon Soul playing in-episode. It was left in Japanese in the Nicktoons airing, so I was just curious how they handled that in the dub on the DVD.
It's in Japanese for both 97 & 98.
Oh wow, really? I thought for sure they'd use a dubbed version of some sort there, even if it was just re-using an earlier version. Ah well.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm

I was talking about a fansub. I should have been more clear. My bad. I remember a while back when the fansub of Episode 97 released on the interwebz, a few people here watched it and when Goku said "Kaio was brought back to life to keep me company" or something to that nature, King Kai's halo wasn't there or just really hard to see which prompted a discussion of Toei retconning King Kai's choice to stay dead.

But either way, Goku says something similar in the English blu-ray. I don't know what the subtitles on the blu-ray say. I watch my stuff dubbed. I'll get back to you on what the subtitles say.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Fri May 25, 2012 2:16 pm

I noticed in the Nicktoons version, in episode 94 just before Cell goes full berserk he screams "It can't be... NO! I'M CEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!" and that scream always sounded really "off" for me for some reason. Is that line changed in the uncut version?
Travis Touchdown wrote:I was talking about a fansub. I should have been more clear. My bad. I remember a while back when the fansub of Episode 97 released on the interwebz.
I remember that one, it was probably taken from Freeze-subs (who basically copied their translations from AnimeHQ DBZ fansubs and re-timed them). Usually AnimeHQ translations were of average quality , but that episode (episode 193 and 194 of Z if I'm not mistaken) were full of translation errors and just weird lines.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

So, what were the interviews mentioned on the back of the box about?
Also, any video of the Dragon Soul.

Jordan Freeman

Post by Jordan Freeman » Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 pm

So somehow, I got my Z Kai Part 8 today. I know some folk have theirs already, but I live in the UK so I found this particularly surprising! Anyhow, I was watching it as I usually do and got up to the second last episode, and then it hit me; I had been buying this show for 2 years and it was about to end. Since I had been reintroduced to Dragonball back in 2009, I had been eagerly awaiting and collecting all the Kai releases, so for me it's been my main source of Dragon Ball. Then that montage along to Dragon Soul happened at the end and it literally had me in tears... especially Goku's 'See ya!' at the end. I remembered watching the show when I was like 8 with my grandfather, awesome stuff. Doesn't help that Dragon Soul is probably my most listened to and favourite song of all time, it's so uplifting. Even so, I never expected to cry at bloody Dragon Ball of all things. Again, awesome stuff.

I'm sorry that was so sappy, just felt a need to type that haha. What a ridiculous first post. :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 26, 2012 9:15 pm

^ Where'd you buy it from? Was it on Blu-ray?

If it's around Amazon's price then I don't mind paying a third party seller instead to get it early.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LordCrehavos

Post by LordCrehavos » Sat May 26, 2012 10:02 pm

gameleon wrote:I noticed in the Nicktoons version, in episode 94 just before Cell goes full berserk he screams "It can't be... NO! I'M CEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!" and that scream always sounded really "off" for me for some reason. Is that line changed in the uncut version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0v23h3dmM See for yourself, my friend.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 26, 2012 10:10 pm

LordCrehavos wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0v23h3dmM See for yourself, my friend.
Super Damn It All

Wow, FUNimation loves to use "damn it all" whenever there's a chance. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LordCrehavos

Post by LordCrehavos » Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
LordCrehavos wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0v23h3dmM See for yourself, my friend.
Super Damn It All

Well I know that this is a really accurate translation from the Japanese. And I really freaking love the Uncut version of that, so freaking intense.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm

LordCrehavos wrote:
gameleon wrote:I noticed in the Nicktoons version, in episode 94 just before Cell goes full berserk he screams "It can't be... NO! I'M CEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!" and that scream always sounded really "off" for me for some reason. Is that line changed in the uncut version?
Holy crap, that's great! That blows away Wakamoto's performance of that scene in Kai if I remember it correctly. :shock:

Any way you could upload the Japanese version for comparison?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LordCrehavos

Post by LordCrehavos » Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Another time maybe.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun May 27, 2012 12:21 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Super Damn It All

Hell yeah, and damn it all they really love to say hell too.

Almost done with part 8 and I really liked the way Vegeta said Kakarot in his never fighting again line. Lol and what's up with Goku saying King Kai was alive? It's just as bad as that Truck driver being alive. Haha and wow Trunk's voice in 98. I don't know what to say, but I was expecting him to say "Yeehaw!"

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sun May 27, 2012 1:30 am

LordCrehavos wrote:

Wow... he seems upset..............

Thank you for the clip :)

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Sun May 27, 2012 7:47 am

Mmm... I dunno, I felt the last "Damn it" was a little off, but at the same time, it kinda works for the cracking in voice. Just kinda doesn't match up with the yelling aspect of it. Then again, I can't say what the Wakamoto Kai performance was. Ah, well.