"Son Gokuu" in DBZ Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

"Son Gokuu" in DBZ Kai

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 am

Forgive me if there's already a thread like this. But I was just thinking about FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z Kai and Sean Schemmel's line during Super Saiyan Gokuu's speech, in which he mentions Gokuu's full name "Son Gokuu". But that'd always struck me as out-of-place and merely pandering to fans of the original. Also, won't this cause confusion in some dub fans, or even the new generation of DB fans?

I know it's not that a big deal, but wouldn't it have been better to consistently use "Son" throughout the dub, or just not use it at all? The latter seemed to have been the plan, until Schemmel expressed a desire to mention "Son" at least once.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Re: "Son Gokuu" in DBZ Kai

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah, it was very odd to me. Every other instance of his full name is removed except in that one part. It actually bothered me rather than impressed me due to the lack of consistency. But I guess the fact that it was thrown in there is a good sign. Maybe if there's ever another re-release of DBZ that gets redubbed by FUNi, the series can finally get the dub it deserves (Kai's dub is good, and a step in the right direction. But it could be better).
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah, I wish FUNimation would've used Son Goku, Son or Goku as in the original, just calling him Goku 99.9% of the time got too repetitive.

But hey, at least the I Am Speech had "I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!!". :)

The English Kai Dub was pretty damn awesome, despite that.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

monkeydlogan

Post by monkeydlogan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:09 pm

To me it doesn't bother me, thought that scene was awesome.
I know for the japanese culture they do that whole last name, first thing.
But over here we don't go around saying our full name unless it's that kind of moment.
If you catch what I'm saying.
MONEY, POWER, WOMEN

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Seriously? I can't believe that there are people who were bothered by that line! That was my favorite line in the whole Kai dub. On top of being well-acted, it was one of the clearest gestures of respect towards the original source material. Quite frankly, I consider the English version of the "I Am" scene to be symbolic of everything the Z dub did terribly wrong, and everything the Kai dub did beautifully right.

As far as how they could've done the dub differently...they probably should have just done what the original Japanese version did--use "Son" in some places, and not in others. I know people have often complained about the lack of "Son" in Goku's name in the English dub (myself included), but I offer up the German dub as an example of the opposite problem. The German dub always, always, always referred to all of the members of Goku's family with "Son" in it. So it was always, "Son-Goku," "Son-Gohan," and "Son-Goten," which doesn't sound natural at all. It would be like addressing someone with their first and last name all the time even in casual conversation.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 pm

It's a good gesture, it just reminded me of all the instances where he's referred to by his full name in the Japanese version, but the dub script didn't carry that over. :P Don't mind me, I guess I'm just too picky.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:It's a good gesture, it just reminded me of all the instances where he's referred to by his full name in the Japanese version, but the dub script didn't carry that over. :P Don't mind me, I guess I'm just too picky.
No need to apologize, I know people value consistency. With that in mind, though, it might interest you to know that original English script for that scene in the Kai dub did *not* have "Son" in it. "Son" was used at the suggestion of Sean Schemmel, who said that he did record a few takes without "Son" in it, but asked to do one take with "Son" in it...and that's the take they ended up using.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Wow, that's interesting. Makes me respect Schemmel a bit more now.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:24 pm

I recall some fans mistaking the "Son" for "San" meaning "Mister", they seriously thought he was saying Mr. Goku, as in "They call me MISTER Goku!"

It's like when Boo says "Super Saiya-jin?" in the Z dub, just sort of showing that they know fans of the Japanese version are gonna watch it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:It's like when Boo says "Super Saiya-jin?" in the Z dub, just sort of showing that they know fans of the Japanese version are gonna watch it.
I was shocked and impressed to hear Majin Boo in English say "Super Saiyajin..?" because I thought they'd never use it at all, but it shows some love on the dub for the fans of the original version.

Plus, on Kai Goku's "Son Goku". :)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Almost certain Sean requested it be done that way.

Otherwise Son would just fall under the "Don't change it so we don't alienate dub-only fans".
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Almost certain Sean requested it be done that way.

Otherwise Son would just fall under the "Don't change it so we don't alienate dub-only fans".
Even though translating the dialogue accurately has already got dub fans alienated. Why stop there when you could call Tien Tenshinhan, etc, etc?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm

It seemed like they tried to impress fans of the Japanese version without completely alienating fans of the heavily changed crap from the past (even though many of them hated the cast changes, proper script, lack of Team Faulconer's score, etc.)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm

matt0044 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Almost certain Sean requested it be done that way.

Even though translating the dialogue accurately has already got dub fans alienated. Why stop there when you could call Tenshinhan Tenshinhan, etc, etc?
Nothing Funi can or ever could do about that; those fans are unintentionally uncaterable by virtue of centralizing dated material in their fandom. We got similar reactions to Son Goku and Friends Return, I've seen a person or two of the Youtube variety refer to it as some sort of joke (The disgraceful kind) non-movie. Episode of Bardock seems to be fairing better Youtube-side, from what little I've seen.

If using "Son" could be used for dramatic effect (Which it most certainly was), then I would definitely see Chris Sabat breaking precedent for it.
KingofWisdom wrote:It seemed like they tried to impress fans of the Japanese version without completely alienating fans of the heavily changed crap from the past (even though many of them hated the cast changes, proper script, lack of Team Faulconer's score, etc.)
From those I've seen, on both the internet and real life, more importantly real life, as it creates a new camp of thought, I'm going to be pretentious and attempt to say that pure dub fandom seems to be split into:

A) Hate the old dub now that I'm an adult, go Kai.

B) Still have my fun with the old dub, but Kai is where I go to now.

C) I understand what Kai's doing and can't fault it for it, but it's unfamiliar (and possibly pointless), so I'll stick to the original.

D) Linda Young > Chris Ayres (But again, God bless her for doing that voice for 10 years.)
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 pm

It's his full name. Even dub fans know it, so I don't see the harm.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:50 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:It's his full name. Even dub fans know it, so I don't see the harm.
I didn't for the longest time.

In fact, I remember having an issue of Shonen Jump with the chapter where 17 and 18 finish beating up on everyone and 18 pecks Kuririn on the cheek, and getting really confused, because Goku's the dad, not the Son.

But yes, there's really no harm done. Kai's not for the old dub fans.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:It's his full name. Even dub fans know it, so I don't see the harm.
Non-English dub fans do know Son Goku's full name, but the English? Well, if they've played the DBZ games with the English dub, like Burst Limit where Schemmel does the I Am Speech and then "I am Son Goku, A Super Saiyaaaan!!".

Most dubfans I've seen from YouTube only know Mr. Satan as the H-word. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

medvedenko2009

Post by medvedenko2009 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm

I found the Son Gokuu scene hilarious because Sean Schemmel uses his King Kai voice, or is it just me?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:48 am

medvedenko2009 wrote:I found the Son Gokuu scene hilarious because Sean Schemmel uses his King Kai voice, or is it just me?
Schemmel voiced Son Goku, Kaio-sama and Nail as far as I'm aware, but his Kaio-sama sounds so bleh! :?

For this matter the Ocean Dub Kaio-sama is better.

I would've preferred if FUNimation had recast Schemmel and Sabat for other VAs.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 am

All of my friends prefer the Japanese version. Kai's dub is decent, but I just can't watch it at length.
Kaio-sama sounds so bleh!
That is one of the most worst voices ever. It just doesn't suit the character at all!