Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Post by matt0044 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:29 pm

I keep hearing bad stuff about the Buu Saga and yet Kai fans complain how the Buu Saga wasn't included in Kai. What do you think?

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

The Buu arc is my least favorite, but I think it deserves the Kai treatment at least.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Boo's arc was really silly, but since it was featured in the manga TOEI Animation should've had included it, though, they didn't.. Not really a prob for me, I like Cell's ending more than Boo's arc closing.

SRB2Unleashed is making a custom Boo Kai arc, I'll check it out once Episode 99 is available but if the h-word's there, which probably is, then that'll put me off.

To be honest, I don't really care for a Majin Boo arc in Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:36 pm

It's an important part of the storyline that Toriyama wrote. For a show that aimed to be "true to the manga" Kai failed by not actually providing the manga's ending. It doesn't matter if the Boo arch is terrible or great, the aim of the show was to be faithful to Toriyama's creation, and not to become some weird Toei thing.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an important part of the storyline that Toriyama wrote. For a show that aimed to be "true to the manga" Kai failed by not actually providing the manga's ending. It doesn't matter if the Boo arch is terrible or great, the aim of the show was to be faithful to Toriyama's creation, and not to become some weird Toei thing.
I don't see TOEI Animation reviving a franchise which didn't meet their requirements and then was cancelled/dropped, and Kai's ending has been decided, officially, it's Cell's arc.

Unofficially, it can go up to Boo's arc like originally.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an important part of the storyline that Toriyama wrote. For a show that aimed to be "true to the manga" Kai failed by not actually providing the manga's ending. It doesn't matter if the Boo arch is terrible or great, the aim of the show was to be faithful to Toriyama's creation, and not to become some weird Toei thing.
Them not including the first 195 chapters doesn't help matters.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SRB2Unleashed is making a custom Boo Kai arc, I'll check it out once Episode 99 is available but if the h-word's there, which probably is, then that'll put me off.

For that fan project, I hope there's the JPN version included.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't watch and have zero interest in the Kai dub but I do think it really blows for DBZK fans that they're stuck with an incomplete dub. The acting and writing in Kai is such a different beast substituting the old dub in seems like it would be super jarring.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Yes, the Boo Saga may have been an incoherent mess but it was in an entertaining way. :D
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Because Kai ended with the Cell arc, people actually think the Majin-Boo arc is either filler or part of DBGT. -_-
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Because Kai ended with the Cell arc, people actually think the Majin-Boo arc is either filler or part of DBGT. -_-
FUNimation in their recent interview on YouTube said Boo's arc was filler, so the one company who shouldn't make such a mistake makes their fans even more misinformed. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Because Kai ended with the Cell arc, people actually think the Majin-Boo arc is either filler or part of DBGT. -_-
FUNimation in their recent interview on YouTube said Boo's arc was filler, so the one company who shouldn't make such a mistake makes their fans even more misinformed. :lol:
Seriously? THEY thought the Buu saga was filler?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:22 pm

http://youtu.be/0x-qRNsEE54

They said somewhere during the video, but jeez, I can't find it now because it's too long. I did try to find it by skipping back and forth, but no luck, might be just a couple of seconds when they said it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I really only wanted it for Vegetto to get redubbed (they're not quite in sync a-is), and to get his fight without all the shitty Hercules and afterlife filler.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Yeah the afterlife filler was pretty stupid even for filler logic.

The Buu arc is my favorite. I love it. But I also can live without it. I'm one of those people who believe the Cell arc would've been a better ending. Seeing the Buu arc Kai-ified really would've been interesting to see. The thing that disappoints me about it not being in Kai is not hearing it with FUNi's voice actors. Now we won't be able to hear all the Buu arc VA's (like Kara Edwards) on how much they have improved.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 pm

I wanted it for the chance of Fat Buu being recast, like Freeza was. But even if that didn't happen, rewatching it with a script closer to the original and better acting would make it worth it for me.
matt0044 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

For that fan project, I hope there's the JPN version included.
There's some process to remove music from a stereo recording, though I have no idea how well it works. But I doubt there's anything that can be done with a mono track.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:There's some process to remove music from a stereo recording, though I have no idea how well it works. But I doubt there's anything that can be done with a mono track.
Wasn't Kei17 able to remove BGM from the JPN DBZ episodes?

It's said to be easier to remove BGM from English dub than Japanese audio, but I'm not into this kind of stuff really.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Yes. Both because I enjoy that arc (I like the absurd, and there's a lot of it in the Buu storyline) and because it would complete the series.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I probably like the Buu arc more than the Artificial Human arc. It's consistent and doesn't have any ass-pulls as big as Dr. Gero.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I probably like the Buu arc more than the Artificial Human arc. It's consistent and doesn't have any ass-pulls as big as Dr. Gero.
The Artificial Human's arc didn't last very long, but boy, Boo's arc was 73 episodes long, that was way too much.

But it was fun to watch and also laughed while seeing this didn't happened with the Saiyan/Freeza/Cell arcs to me.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray