Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 am

Do I want it? Yes. Will we ever get it? Most likely not.

The latter half of the Buu arc is rather enjoyable (mainly because of the craziness and the constant jumps in power), and I would like to see it without the constant cuts back to the Afterlife and the Kaioshin Realm.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:16 am

Yes, because of how Vegeta develops as a character. Also, the Kai dub is really good.

But anyway, it unfortunately won't happen. But if the stars align and some other miracle happens, TOEI would decide that it would be a good way to make money.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:02 am

I like seeing Gohan grow up into an adult. I love Goten's character. I like Vegeta's character development, and I really liked how heartwarming it was for Goku to be revived. If they were to end it with the final scene being them at the lookout, or the party filler episode, I'd be satisfied.

However, being a "true to the manga" cut of the series, that wouldn't be likely to happen. If I have to choose between an ending in which Goku dies a martyr, who decides to not be resurrected because he feels he's a magnet for evil strong guys to terrorize Earth and everyone he cares about, and has confidence in his son that the Earth and everyone is safe in Gohan's hands, then I'll take that over Goku abandoning his family and friends to go train a complete and total stranger just so he can have a quick sparring match once the training is done. The Buu Saga ending made it seem as if Goku hadn't really grown or matured at all by the end and made him come off as shallow. The Cell Saga ending is really touching and uplifting the way the torch is passed down.

So no, I'm happy with the ending they ultimately decided on.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:49 am

On a side note, do you think Toriyama was trying to get the series back to its roots with the Buu saga? I've been wondering that for some time.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

Even though I like Boo arc, I don't want it in Kai. I always felt that the Kai arcs with the Boo arc should be in seperate series, and I feel like Kai seperated them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Most of my friends like the Boo arc the best! It's a very well made arc, I don't see why people dislike it.

My Likes:
1. For the first time a higher SSJ level looked different.
2. We had something totally new in "Fusion".
3. We had a villain who was actually funny and kept changing with traits of the ones he absorbed which kept the whole arc fresh and edgy.
4. There were a LOT of twists and turns.

Dislikes:
1. The ending. (Gohan and Gotenks not saving the day and Goku being alive)

I think I'm the only one here who says that I'm glad the Boo arc wasn't done because that will make people watch Z! :D If the Boo arc were done in Kai, hardly anyone would watch the original show anymore. :cry:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I think I'm the only one here who says that I'm glad the Boo arc wasn't done because that will make people watch Z! :D If the Boo arc were done in Kai, hardly anyone would watch the original show anymore. :cry:
Whoever wants to watch the Boo Z arc will have to get themselves the orange bricks, at this point, the orange bricks are really good in comparison to earlier seasons.

Though, there's the Dragon Box Z volumes they're still at a decent price, so they should get them now if they want.

Or alternatively, read the manga.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:I think I'm the only one here who says that I'm glad the Boo arc wasn't done because that will make people watch Z! :D If the Boo arc were done in Kai, hardly anyone would watch the original show anymore. :cry:
Whoever wants to watch the Boo Z arc will have to get themselves the orange bricks, at this point, the orange bricks are really good in comparison to earlier seasons.

Though, there's the Dragon Box Z volumes they're still at a decent price, so they should get them now if they want.

Or alternatively, read the manga.
Or the singles VHS/DVD.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 am

Gonstead wrote:Or the singles VHS/DVD.
DVD - The Single DVDs aren't even fully uncut since it's the 276 episodes edition, yah?

VHS - Who the hell still has a VCR Player?

I do have a VCR Player but I never use it or play tapes on it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:DVD - The Single DVDs aren't even fully uncut since it's the 276 episodes edition, yah?
But if you were to only buy the Majin-Boo arc, then that's irrelevant.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:But if you were to only buy the Majin-Boo arc, then that's irrelevant.
It was censored/cut so it does matter and no one should pick up that version for said reason (as it's already available uncut).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:But if you were to only buy the Majin-Boo arc, then that's irrelevant.
It was censored/cut so it does matter and no one should pick up that version for said reason (as it's already available uncut).
The only censoring and cutting was during the Saban Saiyan and Namek arc episodes, and after that the rest of the series was release uncut, meaning the Boo-arc was released in it's entirety.

If you can't get the Dragon Boxes, I'd' definitely recommend the singles for the episodes they're available for over the orange bricks.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

[quote="Metalwario64"]The video quality of Seasons 8 and 9 aren't really that bad, quite good, so instead of bothering to buy all singles for Boo's arc, the season sets could be just fine.

I wish all DBZ orange bricks had the quality of season nine. :|

The cropping is also bad, but the colours/saturation/brightness literally kills the enjoyment of seeing DBZ with that poor quality.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 pm

The image quality is fine on those seasons but the cropping just kills it.
I once said I would buy those if something happened to my Dragon Boxes, but I tried to watch something cropped, and it was unwatchable. The singles don't look terrible.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm

I'd rather they watch it online than buy that garbage. Or they could just trace the last two Dragon Boxes or just buy the singles.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

SylentEcho wrote:If the Boo arc were done in Kai, hardly anyone would watch the original show anymore. :cry:
I think you will have people check out the original anime to see how it is if they like Kai. I personally enjoy the Buu saga since Buu was a fun villain and the saga had some of the best battles IMO. I would love to see a kai version of the Buu saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm

matt0044 wrote:I keep hearing bad stuff about the Buu Saga and yet Kai fans complain how the Buu Saga wasn't included in Kai. What do you think?
The Boo saga has always been my favorite.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 pm

SylentEcho wrote:If the Boo arc were done in Kai, hardly anyone would watch the original show anymore. :cry:
I dunno how Boo's arc would be in Kai, but in Z it was f-word hilarious, I'd like to re-watch the Boo arc though in HD quality, however, the Levels have been cancelled so it's stalled for me.
SylentEcho wrote:I'd rather they watch it online than buy that garbage. Or they could just trace the last two Dragon Boxes or just buy the singles.
Do you think a casual would bother to get the DBZ Singles instead of the DBZ Orange Bricks, when the orange bricks have way more episodes than the singles just for the certain price sold? OB's the solution for them, and whoever.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:45 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I probably like the Buu arc more than the Artificial Human arc. It's consistent and doesn't have any ass-pulls as big as Dr. Gero.
*knock, knock*

SS Goten and Trunks say hi. :wink:

Hellspawn28 wrote:
I think you will have people check out the original anime to see how it is if they like Kai.
Also, you could compare it to film or video game remakes, where you end up watching/playing the original to see how it stands up. And no, don't bring up how many Hollywood film remakes are crap, because that's subjective and some are actually good. Plus, not all remakes of films are from Hollywood.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:There's some process to remove music from a stereo recording, though I have no idea how well it works. But I doubt there's anything that can be done with a mono track.
Wasn't Kei17 able to remove BGM from the JPN DBZ episodes?

It's said to be easier to remove BGM from English dub than Japanese audio, but I'm not into this kind of stuff really.
Because he had these "Drama" CD's which were the DBZ audio in stereo.

He had to manually invert each separate song. It would take a long time.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada