"You are the man, Son!"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingofWisdom
Regular

"You are the man, Son!"

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm

I was watching Kai on Nicktoons the other day, and I never realized that Yajirobe uttered this line to Goku. Can't believe I didn't catch that before. I'm sure it was used as a sort of double entendre, being that "Son" can also be slang. But it still seems like a nod to Goku's family name, which is nice. So, in addition to Goku's "I am the Super Saiyan!" line to Freeza, we have two references to his full name. The Kai dub might still be damaged goods overall, but at least it did some things pretty well.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Re: "You are the man, Son!"

Post by Fulicer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Which episode?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Believe it's episode 14. Right after Yajirobe jumps out, thinking Vegeta has been beaten by Goku's Kamehame-Ha. I haven't checked my Blu-rays since before the Nicktoons viewing, so I'm not sure if it's TV-exclusive line (no idea why it would be, though).
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm

No it's not. "Son" (as in Son Goku) is pronounced "Sone", whereas Yajirobe was clearly saying "son", as in the word "son" that is pronounce like "sun".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm

That, actually sounds chillingly bad.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 pm

It's a TV only line i'm positive.

Yajirobe says something along the lines of 'you incredible bastard' in the Uncut DVD/Blu ray versions.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Ah, TV-only line, that explains it.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 am

Yes, "you magnificicent bastard!" is what he says.
...Speaking of which, I would have prefered the "son" line. Kai has way too much swearing.
So mondo lame.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:Yes, "you magnificicent bastard!" is what he says.
...Speaking of which, I would have prefered the "son" line. Kai has way too much swearing.
In the original Japanese version, Yajirobe says "Kono yarou!" which basically means "You bastard!", so FUNi's translation is quite valid.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 am

GotenDaisuki wrote: ...Speaking of which, I would have prefered the "son" line. Kai has way too much swearing.
It has such a small amount of swearing. Do you like "darn" over "damn"? It's not like they're swearing like they do on South Park. I think it fits fine.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:39 am

Well, not necessarily, but practically every line sneaks a swear in there. For example, "what the hell" is used a lot when people ask questions ("What the hell is a 'Shenron'!?"). The swearing itself isn't all that much, but for Dragon Ball, when the Japanese version did not swear as much, it's pretty annoying.
So mondo lame.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:Well, not necessarily, but practically every line sneaks a swear in there. For example, "what the hell" is used a lot when people ask questions ("What the hell is a 'Shenron'!?"). The swearing itself isn't all that much, but for Dragon Ball, when the Japanese version did not swear as much, it's pretty annoying.
I got what you're saying; but, I'm the kind of guy who'd rather hear more swearing than less. Sometimes Kai overdoes it for Dragon Ball; but, I tend to swear a lot it became a habit. Minus the swearing, I'm relatively well spoken but that's beside the point. But, I'd rather hear more like the Kai dub rather than none/little from the old Z dub. But, I'm the kind of guy whose a huge fan of South Park and was used to hearing swearing outside of it as well. So, it never bothered me.

At this point seems safe to assume "yarou" in Japanese (as Kei translated as bastard) can be an equivalent to swear words. Some translate "bakayarou" as dumbass; while others go with fool i.e. Goku blasting Freeza at the end of the fight.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Some translate "bakayarou" as dumbass; while others go with fool i.e. Goku blasting Freeza at the end of the fight.
In Simmon's subs, that moment is translated as "You stupid bastard!!".
Anyway, I don't get the claims that Kai has too much swearing. I've always put it at a similar level to the Japanese version in terms of curses, just reworked to fit better.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:No it's not. "Son" (as in Son Goku) is pronounced "Sone", whereas Yajirobe was clearly saying "son", as in the word "son" that is pronounce like "sun".
And also, I heard they weren't planning on using his surname, until Schemmel decided to add it into his speech. And he had people on Facebook tell him the proper pronunciation.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:42 pm

What's the matter with Son? The dub would have been better if they used 'Son' more often but not constantly every time.

There were still other issues they didn't bother repairing in this so said 'definitive' and 'accurate' dub.

Btw, we're glad to have gotten Kai (US/EU) because as we know in Japan it's out of print.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:There were still other issues they didn't bother repairing in this so said 'definitive' and 'accurate' dub.

Btw, we're glad to have gotten Kai (US/EU) because as we know in Japan it's out of print.
Yeah, for some reason they didn't want to alienate those who've become attached to the dub terms yet continued with the accurate translations and what not.