Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4070
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by kei17 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:...However...honestly, I've seen some clips of the Latin Spanish dub, and the acting, in and of itself, seems to be quite good. The new Goku in particular, Edson Matus, really sounds emotionally invested in his scenes. Since I don't know a lot of Spanish, I can't say for certain, but at times he sounds like he's actually more into it than the original Goku, Mario Casteneda.
Agreed. I don't understand why South American people hate the Kai dub so much. The new cast is pretty decent. Mario Castañeda was good, but the new Goku sounds far better acting-wise. To me, it seems like that they are saying it's bad because it's not original.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am

I think that's very true. I would take it a step farther and say that they're mad about the behind-the-scenes situation. The dub's director, Irwin Daayan, may have revealed a bit too much about the production of the dub than he should have. For example, he talked about how the original cast was approached to reprise their roles for the Kai dub, but how the necessary parties couldn't come to an agreement over money, and how, in basing it on the English version, they were essentially dubbing a dub. They were dubbing an edited dub, for that matter. I think the subtext that the fans of the Latin Spanish dub took from that was...

"Someone--whether it be the dubbing company or one of the other producers--doesn't care about the fans and just wants to produce a cheap cash-in of a dub."

Matters weren't made better when Mario went into more detail online about payment, which brought forth a response from the producers, and another back-and-forth war of words started.

This, to me, is one of the more interesting things about how the voice acting industry has evolved...no, not even, the entertainment industry in general. Before fans had so much knowledge of what went on behind the scenes, it was easier for the producers to make decisions like casting decisions without fear of backlash. Part of the reason the video game "Silent Hill 2" has two voice casts in the HD re-release was because of a nasty four-way war of words between Konami, the fans, the old cast, and the new cast, all of whom were vocal on the internet about a political situation that initially prevented Konami from reusing the audio of the original cast. So part of me wonders, sometimes, if TV shows, movies, and video games were easier to enjoy before fans could get such easy access to behind-the-scenes information.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 am

My favorite would have to be Japanese, especially with Kenji Yamamoto's score.
Secound favorite would be english.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:25 am

1) The LS Kai dub is based on the US NickToons version.
2) They didn't even bother to correct the scene of the power level from 9000 to 8000.
3) Here's a great comparison (use a proxy if needed) http://youtu.be/tfANJL_UaCs

Gohan's new voice is pretty annoying, Kaio's sounds very similar to FUNimation's one and so does Piccolo's, which is quite awful. A few countries didn't really need new DB dubs, like Brazil and Latin Spain.

Damn, even the LS Kai Gohan SSJ2 rage is weak, the older LS Z scream was far better.

Gohan SSJ2 Kai Vs, DBZ: http://youtu.be/cd7jPgObSuE

No contest, the LS DBZ dub wins easily over the LS Kai dub.
DHM211 wrote:My favorite would have to be Japanese, especially with Kenji Yamamoto's score.
Secound favorite would be english.
Japanese doesn't actually count as a dub, so to say, your favourite dub is English.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Well, the last post in this topic is from years ago. And they released new Kai dubs since then. Vietnamese, Malay, Thai(2 thai dubs), cantonese, mandarin, arabic, german, well many dubs.

We can discuss those dubs too.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Well, the last post in this topic is from years ago. And they released new Kai dubs since then. Vietnamese, Malay, Thai(2 thai dubs), cantonese, mandarin, arabic, german, well many dubs.

We can discuss those dubs too.
Yeah, but do you have any clips for any of those?

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3853
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:03 am

kei17 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:...However...honestly, I've seen some clips of the Latin Spanish dub, and the acting, in and of itself, seems to be quite good. The new Goku in particular, Edson Matus, really sounds emotionally invested in his scenes. Since I don't know a lot of Spanish, I can't say for certain, but at times he sounds like he's actually more into it than the original Goku, Mario Casteneda.
Agreed. I don't understand why South American people hate the Kai dub so much. The new cast is pretty decent. Mario Castañeda was good, but the new Goku sounds far better acting-wise. To me, it seems like that they are saying it's bad because it's not original.
You havent seen Dodoria in the latin american Kai dub have you? Also, Goku was dubbed when Mario Castañeda was getting the hang of things, so its natural it seems like Edson Matus is better.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:36 pm

sangofe wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Well, the last post in this topic is from years ago. And they released new Kai dubs since then. Vietnamese, Malay, Thai(2 thai dubs), cantonese, mandarin, arabic, german, well many dubs.

We can discuss those dubs too.
Yeah, but do you have any clips for any of those?
Malay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKwnaPjngWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2LpmdfayQc

Thai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sdivwj2GOI (DVD/Bluray version, with the original cast from the DEX Company dub in the original series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sreqx_ZPjyE (includes the 2 dubs here, is a comparison)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NCOKWM-2bk (DVD/Bluray version, with the original cast from the DEX Company dub in the original series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQS52RU2Lg4 (DVD/Bluray version, with the original cast from the DEX Company dub in the original series)

There are 2 thai dubs. The one from DEX company, that has the same cast from their Z dub, and the one broadcasted in thai Cartoon Network and if I know well, in the channel "Modernine"(that have another Z dub, but with a different cast from all other Z or Kai dubs; there are 2 Z dubs, and 2 Kai dubs, in Thailand).

Vietnamese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp25OjHXtWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDJl5P2_qQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZiESaJ-Teg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwe3975tfg

Kai is the first and only anime of Dragon Ball dubbed in vietnamese until now. Also, the dub was based in the Funimation one.

Mandarin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQ_Q8Nghnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJJ5h-cPiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjqXKiPzJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX6_i4rO-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijSLrt1xcU


User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:37 am

I like Malay Freeza. Will edit this topic as I check out the clips.

German: That Vegeta screams way too soft, but his laugh is okay, and the voice works, although there is something I can't quite point out about his voice/acting I don't like too much, in addition to the soft screaming. Piccolo is nothing special. Goku sounds good, though. Nappa I have nothing much to say about. Gohan is okay.

User avatar
Ree
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by Ree » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:07 am

I like the French one so far but i wish they didn't change the opening, NOT a fan of DS :(
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 am

Ree wrote:I like the French one so far but i wish they didn't change the opening, NOT a fan of DS :(
I assume you're saying I wish they changed the opening? Because what you're saying here doesn't make much sense.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:56 am

I don't even know if you'd consider this a dub, but the Polish version of Kai is, uh, interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSA4oYz9Zc

I can't imagine kids actively enjoying this, at all.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Ree
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by Ree » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:06 pm

sangofe I meant I prefer the original French Z opening by Ariane Carletti
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't even know if you'd consider this a dub, but the Polish version of Kai is, uh, interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSA4oYz9Zc

I can't imagine kids actively enjoying this, at all.
They did this for DB, DBZ and DBGT, too. French dubs in the back ground for DB and DBZ, japanese for DBGT.
Last edited by sangofe on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't even know if you'd consider this a dub, but the Polish version of Kai is, uh, interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSA4oYz9Zc

I can't imagine kids actively enjoying this, at all.
That's actually very common. From what I've read and heard, apparently it's...I don't want to say "rare," necessarily....but not particularly common, at least, for shows to get a Polish dub. Rather, it's more common that shows will receive a Polish "voice-over," which is to say, you can hear the original audio in the background, and a male speaker speaks the lines in Polish over the characters when they talk. Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT received the same treatment in Poland, with DBZ having the added disadvantage of the "original audio" being the French dub.

Having said that, the last two DBZ movies were combined into one and received a special theatrical release in Poland, and (likely sine they were dealing with a better budget this time around) that theatrical release did have a Polish dub in the more traditional sense of the word. Multiple actors, lip-syncing, the works.

I agree, I can't imagine kids getting into "voiced-over" shows. I know I certainly couldn't, either as a kid or as an adult! As poor as FUNimaton's dubs of the original three anime shows could be, I still consider myself grateful that we got those dubs instead of what Poland got. Especially since the person doing the voice-over often sounds so emotionally flat and uninterested, I mean, that would just ruin countless moments for me. I'd consider it annoying.
Yikes! If those like-to-dislike ratios on YouTube are anything to go by, German fans definitely aren't happy with the fact that pretty much the entire original German dub cast was replaced.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:42 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I agree, I can't imagine kids getting into "voiced-over" shows. I know I certainly couldn't, either as a kid or as an adult! As poor as FUNimaton's dubs of the original three anime shows could be, I still consider myself grateful that we got those dubs instead of what Poland got. Especially since the person doing the voice-over often sounds so emotionally flat and uninterested, I mean, that would just ruin countless moments for me. I'd consider it annoying.
I assume that if you're accustomed to voiceovers, you concentrate on listening to the performance underneath while you hear the translated lines. I still find it annoying too: that's the kind of translation I don't mind in the news and documentaries, but I don't like it in fiction.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I agree, I can't imagine kids getting into "voiced-over" shows. I know I certainly couldn't, either as a kid or as an adult! As poor as FUNimaton's dubs of the original three anime shows could be, I still consider myself grateful that we got those dubs instead of what Poland got. Especially since the person doing the voice-over often sounds so emotionally flat and uninterested, I mean, that would just ruin countless moments for me. I'd consider it annoying.
I assume that if you're accustomed to voiceovers, you concentrate on listening to the performance underneath while you hear the translated lines. I still find it annoying too: that's the kind of translation I don't mind in the news and documentaries, but I don't like it in fiction.
Yeah, definitely. In news and documentaries it's OK because they're just reporting facts, and sometimes a flat, "matter of fact" tone is the best tone for delivering the news, so that way the reporter isn't injecting bias into their reports. For fiction, though? Characters need to have emotion, and it's weird to have an emotionless speaker casually talking over an actor who's pouring their heart and soul into the performance.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
noham-el
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by noham-el » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Ree wrote:sangofe I meant I prefer the original French Z opening by Ariane Carletti
Wow.
:o

It's okay, i mean, this is your taste, it's ok, it's all right, everything is all right, but... holymollydamn, wow :shock: This is the (really) first time that I read a forgeiner say that. (you're not french, right?)
"Sorry for my bad english."

User avatar
Ree
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by Ree » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:29 pm

i just think Ariane Carletti's singing voice is lovely <3
that and the lyrics are actually good
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Post Reply