Dragon Ball Kai Devolution With Kikuchi's Music

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Devolution With Kikuchi's Music

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:11 am

Also, Yamamoto didn't write either Dragon Soul or Ginyu Tokusentai, hence why they're retained in the current releases.

Cell had a theme in the Japanese version? How? I thought the Cell arc didn't have any new BGMs outside of Movie tracks?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:18 am

There we're a few times the Kikuchi score felt better placed than Yamamoto's and vice versa.

The Kikuchi music during Krillin's struggle to deactivate #18 was really good.

Yamamoto's music was really good when Trunks killed Frieza. I just feel like Kikuchi's was misplaced at certain scenes. They could have placed it better to make it not feel torturous on the ears haha. And as much as I love "The Formidable Warrior" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RprbIlL31Q) They hella overplayed that song, especially when Vegeta meets Cell for the first time. They literally loop it twice I think.

But yeah I'd take Yamamoto's music with Kai any day.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Cell had a theme in the Japanese version? How? I thought the Cell arc didn't have any new BGMs outside of Movie tracks?
Well, they're technically Metal Coola's themes from the 6th DBZ movie, but since that movie's score started appearing in the series around the time Cell made his debut, and have been so often used in scenes centered around Cell, they tend to be seen as his themes instead.
-Joey

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: You're complaining about the GINYU theme being cheesy?
I wasn't...I liked the theme...but thought it was a bit too corny...even for the Ginyu Squad

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Jackal puFF wrote: Yamamoto's music was really good when Trunks killed Freeza. I just feel like Kikuchi's was misplaced at certain scenes.
I disagree...nothing beats Battle Point Unlimited playing in the Background when Trunks kills Freeza from the Original Z(Although that was Yamamoto plagiarizing Propaganda)

Though I'm not sure if they used Battle Point Unlimited in the Kikuchi score for Kai

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm

^I've seen that particular scene in a comparison, and Battle Point Unlimited is not used for two reasons. One, none of the old Insert songs were used, only the new ones. Two, As said Yamamoto composed it.

"This sucks. Make more."

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^I've seen that particular scene in a comparison, and Battle Point Unlimited is not used for two reasons. One, none of the old Insert songs were used, only the new ones. Two, As said Yamamoto composed it.
Ah thanks for clearing that up

Yamamoto didn't compose it..."stole it" would be a more proper description...cuz he sure as hell was not a member of the 80s band German Band called "Propaganda"

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:32 pm

^Ah, yes, of course. :lol:

For my part, I'll be seeing Kai after I finish GT. Is the placement still bad for someone who is not familiar with the Kikuchi score outside of DB? Most of the complains I hear have to do with tracks being in the "wrong arc".

"This sucks. Make more."

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 pm

damn wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote: Yamamoto's music was really good when Trunks killed Freeza. I just feel like Kikuchi's was misplaced at certain scenes.
I disagree...nothing beats Battle Point Unlimited playing in the Background when Trunks kills Freeza from the Original Z(Although that was Yamamoto plagiarizing Propaganda)

Though I'm not sure if they used Battle Point Unlimited in the Kikuchi score for Kai
Yeah see this is a DBK thread. I was talking about the kai switch. It would have been a different story if battle point was used.

You gotta check out the replaced version.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 am

Black_Liger wrote:I much rather get new music... I don't know about the fixation that they should use ALWAYS kikuchi, it would be less cheaper than using the chopped off library kai got, but cheap anyways.
Is using the original John Williams score in the new edits of Star Wars from 1997 a fixation?
Black_Liger wrote:(...)If we truly got a new series (reanimated) it would become really dull to use the same music over and over again.
NEW series? That completely changes my approach to the matter. As long as they want to do a complete remake - they can (and should) do everything from scratch.
Black_Liger wrote:it's like

"NEW DBZ FILM in 2020"

Same music as all other films years ago. I mean... just the thought of it makes me cringe. XD
So don't make points like this one :P
Black_Liger wrote:The best thing would be for Toei to hire a GOOD composer who can emulate Kikuchi's style but give it a new feel.
I understand what you mean and I have nothing against that, but it would not work for me. It's like re-recording of some old classic hits. The entire originality and epicness is lost.
I don't need any “conversion to the modern standards” because I have no problem with enjoying older styles. Hell - I even strongly prefer them.

I don't see a point in desperately trying to fix something that's ain't broken. I don't see a point in changing anything in a show which is the most popular anime series ever, has millions of fans around the world, generates hot discussions and sells like crazy 28 years after it's first broadcast. Especially in the situation when we still didn't receive an ultimate release (HD + original broadcast audio).

I already have the series in its best possible form* and my enjoyment is even multiplied by nostalgia. What more do I need?
(artistic, not technical)
Black_Liger wrote:That would actually be the best option, because wanting the same music library, over and over again until the end of time, will never be, in my opinion, a good idea.
Leaving Dragon Ball alone would be the best option for me. They did it before and they will never make it better.