Did the acting in Kai get lazy after Freeza?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Did the acting in Kai get lazy after Freeza?

Post by matt0044 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:03 pm

LiamKav wrote:The argument would generally be "Toriyama can get away with it because he is the original writer, whereas the dub writers should be keeping things accurate". I move back and forth depending on how good the rewrite is. If it involves anyone being from Space Australia, it is a winner.
True but an above poster was arguing about it in general with an example from Star Fox so I chimed it with that in mine. I get what you were saying.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that it was the MUSIC that was making their acting SOUND bad, and we just couldn't quite put that feeling into words? Because I didn't notice any drop in the performances, but I DID feel way less excited whenever I was watching the scenes, and I think the music score and it's placement had a lot to do with it. AT least, for me it did.

Of course, I admit, I never really enjoyed the Japanese score as much as the Faulconer or the Westwood dub scores to begin with, so...I mean, it's still better than most of the alternate scores, but...I always felt like it was just kind of dull.
The poorly placed Kikuchi score did help. I always thought that as well.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Know it's been a WHILE since the last post here, but yeah, personally I think it did overall. However, I'm honestly actually glad Schemmel's yelling is a lot less raspy and forced as Goku than it was in Saiyan-Frieza Kai. Though, the real decline for me was Vale's Trunks: he sounds so...raspy and gruff now...I honestly preferred how he voiced him in Z, which is a real shocker.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Singh is King wrote:Know it's been a WHILE since the last post here, but yeah, personally I think it did overall. However, I'm honestly actually glad Schemmel's yelling is a lot less raspy and forced as Goku than it was in Saiyan-Frieza Kai. Though, the real decline for me was Vale's Trunks: he sounds so...raspy and gruff now...I honestly preferred how he voiced him in Z, which is a real shocker.
Vale's Trunks in Z lacked the acting chops he has now so… sadly I can't fully agree with this.

As for everyone else, I think it was still pretty good. Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell was absolute… well, I think you know the word.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:14 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Singh is King wrote:Know it's been a WHILE since the last post here, but yeah, personally I think it did overall. However, I'm honestly actually glad Schemmel's yelling is a lot less raspy and forced as Goku than it was in Saiyan-Frieza Kai. Though, the real decline for me was Vale's Trunks: he sounds so...raspy and gruff now...I honestly preferred how he voiced him in Z, which is a real shocker.
Vale's Trunks in Z lacked the acting chops he has now so… sadly I can't fully agree with this.

As for everyone else, I think it was still pretty good. Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell was absolute… well, I think you know the word.
His acting is better in Kai for Trunks but his voice/pitch was better in Z, IMO.

I agree on Perfect Cell.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Meh. I don't know. I felt the English voice acting in Kai was pretty consistent through the whole run honestly... The show may have dropped the ball on the Kikuchi replacement music, but the voice acting stayed pretty darn good to me the whole way through (even the Japanese performances.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:57 pm

I never really noticed a dip in acting. I thought it stayed consistently great from start to finish. And I'm hoping the consistency remains in the Majin Boo portion of Dragon Ball Kai, because God knows that's the only thing I'm looking forward to in that regard.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I never really noticed a dip in acting. I thought it stayed consistently great from start to finish. And I'm hoping the consistency remains in the Majin Boo portion of Dragon Ball Kai, because God knows that's the only thing I'm looking forward to in that regard.
Did they ever say anything about the Buu saga getting a dub in time?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I never really noticed a dip in acting. I thought it stayed consistently great from start to finish. And I'm hoping the consistency remains in the Majin Boo portion of Dragon Ball Kai, because God knows that's the only thing I'm looking forward to in that regard.
Did they ever say anything about the Buu saga getting a dub in time?
Well, In April 2013, Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert confirmed they were recording their lines for the FUNimation dub of the Buu Saga. Then, in November 2013, when questioned about it on their Facebook page, it was stated by Australian anime distributor Madman Entertainment that the Buu Saga of Dragon Ball Z Kai should be released on November, 8 2014 on cartoon network, as they are just waiting on dubs to be finished.

Obviously, we haven't had any official English dub of Dragon Ball Z Kai yet, so the jury is still out on that. But it will most like be released this year, as DBZ Kai is already currently airing on Toonami.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

We'll get an announcement in due time. They pretty much have to announcement this year if they want to cross-promote it with the new movie.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:We'll get an announcement in due time. They pretty much have to announcement this year if they want to cross-promote it with the new movie.
I hope so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:We'll get an announcement in due time. They pretty much have to announcement this year if they want to cross-promote it with the new movie.
I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think they'd want to cross-promote it. FUNimation has said that they treat Kai and DBZ as separate properties, each with their own official "teams" working on it. So announcing both at the same time would diminish the overall impact for both, if that's the approach they're taking.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think they'd want to cross-promote it. FUNimation has said that they treat Kai and DBZ as separate properties, each with their own official "teams" working on it. So announcing both at the same time would diminish the overall impact for both, if that's the approach they're taking.
True, but it would help.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 am

In my opinion Sabat's Vegeta was actually best during the Kai Cell arc, specifically around the Imperfect/Perfect Cell arc stuff.