Did the acting in Kai get lazy after Freeza?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Did the acting in Kai get lazy after Freeza?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:25 am

I already heard J. Michael Tatum didn't do as much writing for Kai after part 4, but i'm talking specifically about the acting. I just watched episode 98, and the whole thing just felt awful. Even Goku's voice sounded like he was dying just trying to talk, and Sean Schemmel doesn't change his voice much when doing Goku. Trunks had super rasp and at one point talked so fast when he wasn't even on screen. Around semi perfect cell's end to perfect Cell (skipping the awesome trunks moment) the acting seemed to just die. It was like no one cared anymore. Especially when they stopped using the japanese attack names. It felt so lazy. Especially compared to the first 4 parts of kai.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Did the acting in Kai get lazy after Freeza?

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 am

I agree that some of the writing started to get dull, and maybe even some of the acting. There are certain lines in there I didn't like, most memorable one is Goku telling King Kai that there's a bad internet connection on the lookout. We all know Goku wouldn't even know what the internet is.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 am

It's been a while since I've last seen the dub of Kai (still need the DVDs), but I do remember recently seeing a "Schemmel through the years" video on Youtube, and in the scene where Goku raises his power for Karin, Schemmel's yells were very similar to his yells in the same scene in Z. It's almost as if he was referencing the old performance, as he did the exact same "car revving up" performance he used to do, but dropped in Kai for a more natural grunting sound.

Actually, watching it again, I think it could pass as an alternate recording done back for Z that they didn't use, but decided to reuse for Kai instead of getting Schemmel to redo it (not saying that's the case though).

Though, that's not to say it's not still better than their old Z dub, because it definitely is (though I genuinely think Vale was better in Z even with the worse acting due to his annoyingly raspy voice he used in Kai).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 am

Nah. It's still good and consistent for me.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:35 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I agree that some of the writing started to get dull, and maybe even some of the acting. There are certain lines in there I didn't like, most memorable one is Goku telling King Kai that there's a bad internet connection on the lookout. We all know Goku wouldn't even know what the internet is.
But does Goku know what a Betamax cassette is?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:24 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:We all know Goku wouldn't even know what the internet is.
Maybe, maybe not. You don't really know one way or the other. I mean, he can't be -completely- unaware of the world around him, no matter how dumb WE make him in our version.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm

I wouldn't call it laziness, but I think there was a lack of enthusiasm towards the end, which I attribute to the insanity of some of the production problems, some of which are well-known, some of which are not. 'Ya got a few things goin' on...

-The original "writer," J. Michael Tatum, wasn't working on as many Kai episodes in the second half as he was in the first.
-The newness of Kai was dying down.
-Kai sales were declining.
-A super-fast production of an uncut dub and two edited dubs.
-A super-fast production of a new mix for all three of those dubs thanks to the Music Scandal.
-Chris Sabat, the director and a main cast member, blew his voice out and had to delay production, probably necessitating a more hastily-produced dub that was already being hastily-produced.
-Sabat's first child was born while the dub was being made...and newborns have a reputation for not being easy sleepers (/understatement).
-Sean Schemmel said that he was really sick during the recording of, in his words, "the last disc." Not sure how many episodes he meant, but regardless, for the last couple episodes, he was sick. Can't say I blame him...whenever I'm sick and have to get in my booth, I have to actively tell myself not to sound like I'm dying. It's a chore, as it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up when all you want to do is lie in bed. On the other hand, I didn't notice any difference in his performance myself.

Not saying you have to like the dub, of course. I just don't know that I would call anything that happened "laziness."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: -A super-fast production of an uncut dub and two edited dubs.
-A super-fast production of a new mix for all three of those dubs thanks to the Music Scandal.
-Chris Sabat, the director and a main cast member, blew his voice out and had to delay production, probably necessitating a more hastily-produced dub that was already being hastily-produced.
I guess they couldn't just halt production. They really should have and then came back fresh. Doesn't kai mean refreshed or renewed. doesn't exactly live up when they sound tired like the japanese kai cast did at some points.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: -Sabat's first child was born while the dub was being made...and newborns have a reputation for not being easy sleepers (/understatement).
-Sean Schemmel said that he was really sick during the recording of, in his words, "the last disc." Not sure how many episodes he meant, but regardless, for the last couple episodes, he was sick. Can't say I blame him...whenever I'm sick and have to get in my booth, I have to actively tell myself not to sound like I'm dying. It's a chore, as it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up when all you want to do is lie in bed. On the other hand, I didn't notice any difference in his performance myself.
I guess that explains why Goku sounded off and forced in episode 98
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Not saying you have to like the dub, of course. I just don't know that I would call anything that happened "laziness."
I love the Kai dub. I am not coming out as a hater. I am just worried that things died down. The first half was spectacular, while the second half had more noticeable problems. I love the Kai dub, it is a miracle it was done so well compared to what we had before (Thank Justin Cook and J. Michael Tatum).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote: -A super-fast production of an uncut dub and two edited dubs.
I guess they couldn't just halt production. They really should have and then came back fresh. Doesn't kai mean refreshed or renewed. doesn't exactly live up when they sound tired like the japanese kai cast did at some points.
Yeah, halting production would have been better for the sake of getting good performances, but unfortunately they couldn't halt production. They were dealing with deadlines. Firstly because many licensing contracts stipulate that the properties need to be released by a certain time, and secondly because whenever you're dealing with a TV network, the episodes need to be sent into TV network execs for approval, editing suggestions, and then the inevitable re-dubbing, re-drawing, and re-editing according to those editing suggestions. Sabat said on his Facebook page that he delayed production of the dub for as long as he could when his voice blew out, but then had to go back to work before his doctor told him it was safe because they had legal deadlines to meet.
dbzfan7 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Not saying you have to like the dub, of course. I just don't know that I would call anything that happened "laziness."
I love the Kai dub. I am not coming out as a hater. I am just worried that things died down. The first half was spectacular, while the second half had more noticeable problems. I love the Kai dub, it is a miracle it was done so well compared to what we had before (Thank Justin Cook and J. Michael Tatum).
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying you hated or loved the Kai dub. I was merely clarifying on my end that I don't believe one necessarily has to form a different opinion on their enjoyment of the dub based on the production problems...I was just saiyan.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Hm. I know some of the scripting got a little lazier as time went on, but I didn't notice the voice acting taking a downturn. Colleen Clinkenbeard's Gohan was more on fire than ever during the Cell Games.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 am

Yeah I didn't really like their voices during the last part of episodes. It was kind of on par with Z.. Sabat's Vegeta really sounded off. I'll never forget that "Hiya!". And I have to agree with Goku and Trunks voices. I've only watched those eps like twice though..

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 pm

To me, the worst offender in the post-Freeza Saga of Kai is Vale's Trunks. The voice is just plain annoying and completely wrong for Trunks. Frankly, I blame the direction. Sabat tones down both his Vegeta and Piccolo. Bergmeier toned down his Tenshinhan. But Vale was just horrific. I don't think that the acting as a whole got lazy. I think it was still top notch. My feelings are that the direction took a downturn. The first 50-something episodes had such perfect direction. It's like FUNimation wasn't afraid to change things up from what they used to do in Z.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Yeah, that's my major problem as well. I was excited to hear Trunks with an accurate script and even better acting, but then he went and gave Trunks this raspy Sabat-Vegeta voice. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:46 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Yeah, that's my major problem as well. I was excited to hear Trunks with an accurate script and even better acting, but then he went and gave Trunks this raspy Sabat-Vegeta voice. :/
On the other hand, Vale's Trunks does sound more like Sabat's Vegeta now, which from one angle might be appropriate considering that the characters in question are father and son. In Z he sounds more natural, but in Kai he sounds more like Vegeta........I go back and forth over which one I prefer.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I'll never forget that "Hiya!".
I'm sorry. What is this referring to?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 am

Gozar wrote:
I think this

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 am

I didn't hate Vale's Trunks in Kai but a more Sanji-like delivery would've been better.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:17 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:On the other hand, Vale's Trunks does sound more like Sabat's Vegeta now, which from one angle might be appropriate considering that the characters in question are father and son. In Z he sounds more natural, but in Kai he sounds more like Vegeta........I go back and forth over which one I prefer.
Well then, I definitely would have preferred them change VEGETA'S voice to make him sound less raspy.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Gozar wrote:
I think this
That's the one, Lol!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:On the other hand, Vale's Trunks does sound more like Sabat's Vegeta now, which from one angle might be appropriate considering that the characters in question are father and son. In Z he sounds more natural, but in Kai he sounds more like Vegeta........I go back and forth over which one I prefer.
Well then, I definitely would have preferred them change VEGETA'S voice to make him sound less raspy.
Vegeta had one of the best changes of all. He sounds much better now imo. Freeza holds #1 for best change.