Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by matt0044 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:16 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:After hearing FUNimation's Shin-Chan and Panty and Stocking dubs, I think they would stick with retard. For the most part FUNimation does a good job with the 'swearing' adaptations and the script in general, for the most part.
I dunno. I'm not sure if it'd fit DB itself. But that's just me.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45 am

Well, yeah, Chris Sabat has said that FUNi has the last part of Z Kai.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I know it kind of goes against the point of Kai, but I almost hope they don't remove almost all of the Saiyaman material, because a lot of that is the best filler in the entire series. It's hilarious, and it doesn't cause any continuity errors that I remember.
That's part of the manga...
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Payne222 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I know it kind of goes against the point of Kai, but I almost hope they don't remove almost all of the Saiyaman material, because a lot of that is the best filler in the entire series. It's hilarious, and it doesn't cause any continuity errors that I remember.
That's part of the manga...
Re-read what Gyt said. He said "almost all" which is in reference to the changed and added story material, not the entirety of the Saiyaman plot.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:15 am

matt0044 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:After hearing FUNimation's Shin-Chan and Panty and Stocking dubs, I think they would stick with retard. For the most part FUNimation does a good job with the 'swearing' adaptations and the script in general, for the most part.
I dunno. I'm not sure if it'd fit DB itself. But that's just me.
I don't think 'retard' has the connotations in Japan as it does here. If I were adapting the script, I would probably go with 'dumbass.' Crass and insulting, but not very triggering.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 am

FUNimation isn't going to use "Dickhead" or "Retard" or any of those. Maybe "Idiot" or "Moron". Why? Because this is Gohan we're talking about. They're not just going to start making him throw out swears and derogatory names. The word he uses in the Japanese version, while insulting, isn't as offensive or vulgar as it tends to be in English.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 am

How about "Hey, Genius!" said in a sarcastic tone?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 am

matt0044 wrote:How about "Hey, Genius!" said in a sarcastic tone?
That's be great for the Nicktoons version.

In the Japanese one, the word itself seems to be what set Boo off (he keeps repeating it), so I still think Dumbass would be perfect. "Retard" just seems too liberal a translation (which doesn't often occur with Simmons' translation) and a bit more out of character for Gohan.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:How about "Hey, Genius!" said in a sarcastic tone?
That's be great for the Nicktoons version.

In the Japanese one, the word itself seems to be what set Boo off (he keeps repeating it), so I still think Dumbass would be perfect. "Retard" just seems too liberal a translation (which doesn't often occur with Simmons' translation) and a bit more out of character for Gohan.

Ooh, good point. Soooo dumb question, but "moron" actually has the same connotations as 'retard' in the scientific community. People with intellectual disabilities were once referred to as morons before the term retarded was used in an attempt to be less offensive. Would the repeated phrase "Moron! Moron! Moron!" still be a no-no to censors then? Or is it an even better choice, because while it lost a lot of the power it once had, it's inflammatory enough to set Buu off?

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I doubt it. Didn't Vegeta's "YOU MORONS! HE'S BEHIIIIND YOU!" line make it into the Nicktoons cut?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

So, what do we know about DBKai Boo arc again?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm

She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

turza

Post by turza » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Good I like dbz more but Kai is good too