DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by penguintruth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Is Kix kid tested, mother approved?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I really don't think it's all that confusing since a lot of Kix's viewers will be kids who have never seen Dragonball Z before so having the ocean cast isn't an issue since it's their introduction to the series.

Also the funimation version of Kai has been available for ages now and anyone who wanted to see it likely has so I'de prefer if it wasn't that version. At least with ocean Kai hardcore fans will have an actual incentive to tune in as this could potentially be another TV only dub and if that's the case it could be the first and last time we get to see it.
Other than the UK, wouldn't this also broadcast in Canada?
I honestly have no idea if Canada got Funimation's Kai or if they're also waiting for this one too. If they haven't got Kai yet then it would be pretty stupid for them not to get Ocean kai since it's dubbed in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 am

NitroEX wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I really don't think it's all that confusing since a lot of Kix's viewers will be kids who have never seen Dragonball Z before so having the ocean cast isn't an issue since it's their introduction to the series.

Also the funimation version of Kai has been available for ages now and anyone who wanted to see it likely has so I'de prefer if it wasn't that version. At least with ocean Kai hardcore fans will have an actual incentive to tune in as this could potentially be another TV only dub and if that's the case it could be the first and last time we get to see it.
Other than the UK, wouldn't this also broadcast in Canada?
I honestly have no idea if Canada got Funimation's Kai or if they're also waiting for this one too. If they haven't got Kai yet then it would be pretty stupid for them not to get Ocean kai since it's dubbed in Canada.
Fun, borderline-unrelated trivia factoid...it is possible for countries not to get certain dubs even if they are produced locally. Besides the fact that Canada didn't get the locally-produced Westwood dub of DBZ until the Cell games (the UK actually got it around the time Trunks showed up), there's also a second English dub of "Crayon Shin-Chan," which was produced in Los Angeles with some of the top voice actors in the biz...and the US never got it. Only the UK. Rather odd.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 am

Funny that you mention that since I tried to find clips of the UK version of Shin Chan a few months ago but had no luck. I settled with watching an episode of the Funimation version but not having Kath Soucie as Shin Chan bugged me to no end and the theme song wasn't what I remembered growing up.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 pm

I remember watching the English dub of Shin-chan's UK dub a few years ago on a promotional DVD that came with Jetix.

It was all right but there's no English dub that compares to the Castellano dub, it's all around better than what any English dub of Crayon Shin-chan wish to be.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Kai has not aired on Canadian TV. Funimation's DVDs/BDs were carried by Canadian retailers. Those who have The CW via their cable package, or over the air they could have watched the Toonzai/Vortexx broadcast but that is a US broadcast carried in Canada.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:25 pm

I dont know if this has been posted already but according to this link DBZKai will premiere 2013.

http://content.yudu.com/A1zkwg/TNNov201 ... ces/58.htm
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont know if this has been posted already but according to this link DBZKai will premiere 2013.

http://content.yudu.com/A1zkwg/TNNov201 ... ces/58.htm
Ah, thanks. Here's the pic for anyone who only wants to know about DBK in UK:
Dragon Ball in UK isn't exactly alive (there's only the films, games + dbz series orange bricks), but this should be good for some.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Jesus, it looks like Toei really jumped the gun in their announcement. 2013.... Okay, not that it matters to me when Kai airs, but I think it'll be good to build up interested in the series here. I'll be sure to tell friends who've never watched Dragon Ball before. What I'm interested in if if this gets really good ratings and Kix end up doing what Nicktoons did with following up to GT, the Z movies, etc. Kix isn't as big as Nick though, so I'm not sure.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Here's The Ratings List for Kix!

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopProgrammes

Ctrl+F Kix to see, It updates every week!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I just hope we get some trailers or commercials soon! :) Only 1 more month left!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm

After so long we might finally get what we have been waiting for. Also I find it personally funny how I've gone from laughing at the idea of Ocean Kai to being ultra hyped for it.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 am

I wonder how they'll pronounce the letter Z, because in UK, we say Zed not Zee. Besides that, it would only leave people in confusion as to what is "Zee" in UK.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I wonder how they'll pronounce the letter Z, because in UK, we say Zed not Zee. Besides that, it would only leave people in confusion as to what is "Zee" in UK.
I hope they pronounce it Zed. If it ends up being the Ocean dub and they are pronouncing Namek correctly then maybe it will be Dragon Ball Zed Kai. You have a fair point on "Zee" confusing kids hopefully the opt for Zed.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am

Dragon.....Ball....Zed- OH GOD IT'S SO WRONG. Really though, I dunno, they do say Zetto in Japan after all. But they do seem to say Zee in songs sometimes. :/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 am

Ryuman wrote:Dragon.....Ball....Zed- OH GOD IT'S SO WRONG. Really though, I dunno, they do say Zetto in Japan after all. But they do seem to say Zee in songs sometimes. :/
Which songs specifically?

From We Gotta Power I heard this:
DORAGON BOH-LO-U ZÉ-EH! (3x)

Unrelated but Zee-ish, the Portuguese (thus far the Brazilian too) use "Zê" (similar to how Kageyama says it in WGP) which I wish they'd say Zeta like the Spanish do. Gallego is very Portuguese-alike, but still, it's not entirely understandable (I tried watching Shin-chan in Gallego and got lost halfway).

Spanish: Dragon Ball Zeta Kai
Catalán: Bola de Drac Zeta Kai
Gallego: Bola do Dragón Zeta Kai
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am

Japanese Cha-La Head Cha-La has zetto (egao ultra-zetto de kyō mo ai-yai-yai-yai-yai...) but the Engrish version uses zee (Smiling away, today, I'm ultra-zee - ai-yai-yai-yai-yai...).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Which songs specifically?
Uhh.... Okay, now that I think about it, I don't recall any :oops: . I do know that they do it in the ending theme to Z's Movie 8 though.
dbboxkaifan wrote:From We Gotta Power I heard this:
DORAGON BOH-LO-U ZÉ-EH! (3x)
Yeah, that's the main one I think with this, and in terms of the pronunciation, I just assumed that's how they did that's how they pronounced the American 'Zee' (I guess I could be totally wrong here).
Edit: Something to say about Kageyama's 'Zé-eeeeh' here. I think that was just him adding some power into the song because in the movie 8 theme the chorus just go 'Zé!'.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm

It'll be "Zee" just as it was "Dragon Ball Zee" in the past. That always did somewhat confuse me about the post-Funi Ocean dub. It was produced in Canada, aired in countries that use British English yet called itself "Zee".
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.