DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Sin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Solidus wrote:No, Raditz says 'Fine, lets have it'. Kix! will probably just air the Nicktoons version.
Wow, that's so obvious now that you've said it haha
And yeah I expected as much, ah well I can't wait really! Just wish Kix! was available in HD.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 am

I'm so glad for all the UK Fans and for the Little kids who will get to watch DBZ for the first time as well!

I will check the ratings to see how it does each week!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Well Kai has just gone off-air. It was the first 2 episodes, back to back, and it appears to be [EDIT:] based upon the Nicktoons edit, except Farmer's death was edited out entirely.

I don't know if it was just the TV I was watching it on but the picture quality didn't seem too good, it kind of looked like a badly encoded DVD at times, but maybe it was just me. It probably wasn't that bad, I'm just used to watching it on DVD.
Also there seemed to be a lot of editing to speed up pauses between dialogue.
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, it's the Edited Funi version, but it is only a sneak peak from the 26-28, airing a total of 6 episodes, I think come mid January when they're airing it for real it might just be the ocean version, it might just not be ready which is why the sneak peak is the edited Funi version, it did seem a bit pixelated at some times but at least 6 episodes of Dragon Ball are shown on UK TV in 2012 :)
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:Well Kai has just gone off-air. It was the first 2 episodes, back to back, and it appears to be the CW4Kids/Toonzai/Vortex edit.
Shen Long was nowhere to be seen in the intro, Farmer's death was edited out entirely, alongside the expected dialogue changes.
I'm fairly sure Farmer's death wasn't removed from the CW4Kids edit, right??

I don't know if it was just the TV I was watching it on but the picture quality didn't seem too good, it kind of looked like a badly encoded DVD at times, but maybe it was just me. It probably wasn't that bad, I'm just used to watching it on DVD.
From what I can see in the episode and what is listed in this thread, I'd say it's the US NickToons version. For example, the bullet is NOT neon blue, Roshi's drink has its foam, etc.
Last edited by TestDemo on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:Well Kai has just gone off-air. It was the first 2 episodes, back to back, and it appears to be the CW4Kids/Toonzai/Vortex edit.
Shen Long was nowhere to be seen in the intro, Farmer's death was edited out entirely, alongside the expected dialogue changes.
I'm fairly sure Farmer's death wasn't removed from the CW4Kids edit, right??

Well, the speeding-up between pauses might just be from converting the footage from 24fps (NTSC) to 25fps (PAL).

Othwerwise, when it comes to Farmer With Shotgun's death, it wasn't "removed" per say. Instead they re-colored his bullet to a glowing blue color to make it seem like the ammo of a laser blaster (and they replaced the sound effects accordingly). Furthermore, when Raditz flicked the "laser pellet" back at Farmer, after he fell to the ground they added in some moaning sounds to suggest that he was merely injured rather than killed. You're telling me they edited that out entirely? Man...I really hope you guys do get the Ocean version, because it sounds like you may have gotten a version that's even MORE edited than the CW4Kids/Toonzai/Vortex edit!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:47 pm

If the Canadian dub airs on Kix, though, wouldn't the edits be similarly terrible? Which would suck, because I don't want to watch it if it's going to be butchered by the edits.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:54 pm

TestDemo wrote: From what I can see in the episode and what is listed in this thread, I'd say it's the US NickToons version.
You could be right but I'm not sure because thinking about it, I wouldn't mind betting that it's entirely new edit just for the UK.

TheBlackPaladin wrote:You're telling me they edited that out entirely? Man...
Yeah I knew about the "laser pellet" thing.
I can't remember what the bullet looked like on this edit but here's a run down of what happened:

Farmer shoots, Raditz catches the bullet but then it immediately cuts to him scoffing about how fragile the people are on Earth. Oh and Farmer's whimpering could still be heard.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:
TestDemo wrote: From what I can see in the episode and what is listed in this thread, I'd say it's the US NickToons version.
You could be right but I'm not sure because thinking about it, I wouldn't mind betting that it's entirely new edit just for the UK.

TheBlackPaladin wrote:You're telling me they edited that out entirely? Man...
Yeah I knew about the "laser pellet" thing.
I can't remember what the bullet looked like on this edit but here's a run down of what happened:

Farmer shoots, Raditz catches the bullet but then it immediately cuts to him scoffing about how fragile the people are on Earth. Oh and Farmer's whimpering could still be heard.
I don't know what Kix you're watching. For the record, I have the episode recorded and the Farmer does not whimper, Raditz catches the bullet, makes his little speech, then it cuts to him noticing Piccolo's power level with only the sound of the exploded trunk in the background.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:05 pm

TestDemo wrote:
I don't know what Kix you're watching, but I don't think its the same as mine. For the record, I have the episode recorded and the Farmer does not whimper, Raditz catches the bullet, makes his little speech, then it cuts to him noticing Piccolo's power level with only the sound of the exploded trunk in the background.
I could've sworn I heard it, it was whilst Raditz was talking. We'd best wait to see if anyone else agrees/disagrees before there's any kind of final verdict on what actually happened. :P
Last edited by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:
TestDemo wrote:
I don't know what Kix you're watching, but I don't think its the same as mine. For the record, I have the episode recorded and the Farmer does not whimper, Raditz catches the bullet, makes his little speech, then it cuts to him noticing Piccolo's power level with only the sound of the exploded trunk in the background.
I could've sworn I heard it. We'd best wait to see if anyone else agrees/disagrees before there's any kind of final verdict on what actually happened. :P
I already know I'm right.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:12 pm

TestDemo wrote:I already know I'm right.
But that doesn't help anyone else now does it? It's one person's word against another. If you check
my last post I edited it to make it clear that I thought I heard it whilst Raditz was talking.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here by the way, I'm just trying to make sure we get the right information out there. If you're right, and someone else agrees with what you've said or you produce evidence to support the fact that you're right then my hats off to you!

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Ewww. I knew Kix! was a trashy channel....... Poor Kids.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Well I think people need to bear in mind that Ocean's dub of Z was even more edited than FUNi's. Most of Vegeta's fight with Kid Buu was cut out by Ocean merely for commercial time. Asking for the Ocean dub so we can have less edits would only get us even more edits. Ocean's dub very rarely made reference to death, even during vital scenes like wishing people back to life where instead of saying "Revive all those killed by" it would be "Heal all those hurt by". Because of this I didn't even know Cell had killed Trunks until I later saw FUNi's dub. And Ocean completely ruined the scene were Super Buu kills that gunman by jumping down his throat. FUNi's edited dub is the closest thing to uncut we can possibly get on TV.

And Sean Schemmel has even said that Ocean's Kai dub is "terrible". And he won't just be saying that because he's a FUNi actor. In the past he's said that Ocean's cast were "very talented actors" when referring to their old Saban dub. So if he says that about it then I'm inclined to believe that there could be some truth in it.

And I'm sure that extra edits by Kix won't be very common throughout the series. It's rare in DBZ that characters are killed by bullets.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well I think people need to bear in mind that Ocean's dub of Z was even more edited than FUNi's. Most of Vegeta's fight with Kid Buu was cut out by Ocean merely for commercial time. Asking for the Ocean dub so we can have less edits would only get us even more edits. Ocean's dub very rarely made reference to death, even during vital scenes like wishing people back to life where instead of saying "Revive all those killed by" it would be "Heal all those hurt by". Because of this I didn't even know Cell had killed Trunks until I later saw FUNi's dub. And Ocean completely ruined the scene were Super Buu kills that gunman by jumping down his throat. FUNi's edited dub is the closest thing to uncut we can possibly get on TV.

And Sean Schemmel has even said that Ocean's Kai dub is "terrible". And he won't just be saying that because he's a FUNi actor. In the past he's said that Ocean's cast were "very talented actors" when referring to their old Saban dub. So if he says that about it then I'm inclined to believe that there could be some truth in it.

And I'm sure that extra edits by Kix won't be very common throughout the series. It's rare in DBZ that characters are killed by bullets.
Well, Schemmel said that he believed the dub would be terrible, but he made a point to say that it wasn't because of the actors, but because of the production decisions like the unnecessarily-replaced music and unnecessarily-added sound effects, which is what he was describing when he used the word "terrible."

Also, someone told me that the additional visual edits that were made in the Westwood dub were because eventually they started using footage provided by the AB Groupe from France. I've never compared the French footage and the Ocean footage side-by-side, so I can't confirm if this is the case. However, there are hints that this may be the case. It's worth noting that the Blue Water (Canadian/UK) dub of "Dragon Ball" has an English opening that is clearly a dub of the French opening.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't think Ocean are directly the ones to blame for cutting stuff out. They obviously have to follow the rules of the channel they're broadcasting on and I know that some countries are more relaxed than others when it comes to violence and sex. Btw the westwood dub did start referring to death somewhere around the later parts of the fusion saga if I remember correctly. It probably had something to do with DBZ switching from Cartoon Network to the more mature themed CNX channel.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 pm

If the Ocean dub of Kai ends up being more heavily edited than the Nicktoons airing of FUNi's, that'll just emphasize the pointlessness of its existence. Which is unfortunate, because I've been looking forward to seeing it.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Well I think that's what hurt the Westwood dub the most. Poor production decisions such as megaman music that just didn't suit DBZ and lack of variety in the music. The voice acting wasn't terrible although it wasn't consistently good either. Going by what Schemmel said I worry that their Kai dub could end up the same which is why I'm really against Kix airing the Ocean dub. I have no problem with the dub existing but I don't think it should be shown on TV when the FUNi dub is perfectly good. I felt like the UK were screwed over with the Dragonball franchise back in the day. We started out the same as America getting the great Saban Ocean dub and then the FUNi dub with the epic Faulconer music. But then we switched over to Westwood Ocean and from then on the quality of our dubs seemed to get lower and lower. Supposedly we got Ocean back because it was cheaper than licencing FUNi, then AB got even cheaper and gave us the Blue Water dub for GT and DB and then finally cheaper still with those awful Big Green dub movies while America got their nice consistent FUNi dub for everything.

I feel like people asking for the Ocean dub to be aired are volunteering the UK to play Guinea pig test subjects again because we have no idea what the dub will sound like. I mean if the Ocean dub turns out to be as Schemmel predicted then we'll be stuck with it and will have messed up our only chance at getting some quality DBZ on our screens.

To me the Saban Ocean dub and Westwood Ocean dub are 2 completely different things and shouldn't be classed as the same. So we've heard that Ocean are dubbing Kai. Great. So is that going to be like the great Saban Ocean dub or the poor Westwood Ocean dub? If it's like the latter then no thanks. And because we've had evidence to suggest that I say we should stick with FUNi. That's my opinion anyway.

Addressing another point didn't Ocean use FUNi's video then edit it further? They definitely used the same title cards and both dubs looked identical quality-wise when shown on CNX.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:
TestDemo wrote:
I could've sworn I heard it, it was whilst Raditz was talking. We'd best wait to see if anyone else agrees/disagrees before there's any kind of final verdict on what actually happened. :P
I recorded both episodes. I'll check that scene and post my findings later.
90sDBZ wrote:Well I think people need to bear in mind that Ocean's dub of Z was even more edited than FUNi's. Most of Vegeta's fight with Kid Buu was cut out by Ocean merely for commercial time. Asking for the Ocean dub so we can have less edits would only get us even more edits. Ocean's dub very rarely made reference to death, even during vital scenes like wishing people back to life where instead of saying "Revive all those killed by" it would be "Heal all those hurt by". Because of this I didn't even know Cell had killed Trunks until I later saw FUNi's dub.
Ocean dub Dragon Ball Z episode "End of Earth" alone refutes the misinformation you posted.

As an example, here are some quotes from that episode:

"Yes...yes...kill them all"
"Sir, West Kai and North Kai*, they have both been killed"
"She knew that their fight would be to the death.....and it was"
"I was staring death in the face"
etc

Seems fairly obvious to me that the Kais and others were killed by Buu. And Ocean didn't shy away from using death.

*AFAIK it was those 2 Kais that Kaioshin is referring to.
290sDBZ wrote:FUNi's edited dub is the closest thing to uncut we can possibly get on TV.
That is completely wrong. The Blue Water dubs of DB and DBGT were mostly uncut. The Funi dubs were more edited than the Blue Water dubs. The Funi versions even editing things to extreme stupidity. As an example, in Dragon Ball; Blue Water calls one of Jackie Chun's technique the "drunken boxing" technique and Blue Water doesn't try to hide that some people, like the announcer, think Jackie Chun is drunk when doing that technique. Funimation calls that technique the "mad cow/happy cow" technique, which is ridiculous. There's other things to conclude that the Blue Water dubs were intended for a maturer audience than the Funi dubs, like Blue Water freely using death, kill and sticking closer to the Japanese script, even using original Japanese terms while Funi deviated and started making up their own terms.

As someone who's spend a lot of time comparing the Ocean, Blue Water and Funimation dubs, the massive advantage that Ocean has over Funi in quality and Blue Water has over Funi in authenticity is blatantly obvious. The UK struck gold by receiving the Ocean & Blue Water dubs over Funi and most fans tend to agree, further evidenced by the Funi Fusion saga being kicked permanently off and being replaced by Ocean's Fusion saga.
90sDBZ wrote:And Sean Schemmel has even said that Ocean's Kai dub is "terrible". And he won't just be saying that because he's a FUNi actor.
He said it because he's a Funi VA, it was very unprofessional of him and it actually gives the opposite vibe that he hoped for. It suggests that the Ocean dub is so much better than the Funimation dub that one of Funi's lead actors feels the need to try and disparage it publically, hoping people would believe him. To me it seemed obvious he felt threatened by a superior dub and felt the need to insult it just when hints of its existence started to come out.
90sDBZ wrote:I feel like people asking for the Ocean dub to be aired are volunteering the UK to play Guinea pig test subjects again because we have no idea what the dub will sound like. I mean if the Ocean dub turns out to be as Schemmel predicted then we'll be stuck with it and will have messed up our only chance at getting some quality DBZ on our screens.
Well not really. People were up in arms when the switch from Ocean to Funi happened. Then Ocean came back, people were happy. Then Funi Fusion came and people grabbed bigger arms and aimed directly at Turner Broadcasting. They must've struck hard because Turner booted the Funi Fusion saga off air after only approx 3 weeks and permanently replaced it with Ocean's Fusion saga. Funi was never heard again and everyone lived happily ever after.....until now.

If anyone's getting screwed, it's those receiving the Funi dub. And at the moment the UK is getting screwed due to the Funi dub. There's no point whatsoever in broadcasting the Funi dub. It's old, it's tired, it's rushed and it's been seen by those who care enough to go out of their way to see it.

The Ocean dub is fresh, it's new and it breaths life into Kai that would make each episode being eagerly anticipated just like when new episodes of DBZ were being broadcast back in the early 2000s.

I really think that the Ocean dub is the intended dub for the UK but it probably wasn't ready in time for an impatient CSC Media group. So eventually we'll probably get the Ocean dub from the start. Because you don't have the Ocean VAs calling the Ocean dub the 'UK dub' for no reason. I'm fairly certain that at least some Ocean VAs were curious enough to ask the producers which country the dub is for. Kirby Morrow is fairly in the know about the history of the dubs and he started calling it the 'dub for the UK' for a reason.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Wow, the UK got the funi dub? This makes no sense. I can't see a big budget being put int he ocean dub if its just for canada.

Disappointing news. It's really weird that the UK waited so long to get kai just to have the funimation dub air. I wonder if the ocean dub is even going to be aired anywhere at this point.