DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Smochi
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 am

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Smochi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I know this is off topic maybe, but I just wanted to say that I am a die-hard Funi fan, and I am so, so excited for the Ocean dub! I think arguing about which dub is best is sort of moot, because the fact that you have people willing to argue for a particular dub at ALL means it produced hardcore fans. What if the Ocean dub created a fan who otherwise wouldn't have watched DBZ, or vice versa for Funimation? I started with the Funi dub 13 years ago on CN, loved the Kai dub for bringing in new actors and fans to the franchise, and I'll love the Ocean dub for the same reason. When it comes down to it, I can hardly name a better show or story than DBZ. If it makes itself known to more people, and impacts more lives, who am I to judge the avenue with which it does it?

User avatar
DBwad
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:29 am

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by DBwad » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
DBwad wrote:Did Canada get a Kai broadcast?
Not officially. Some cable companies, and cities near US cities did get the CW broadcast but that's a US channel feed, not Canadian.
Oh, then I guess if Canada gets an official Canadian broadcast on something like YTV it'll probably be the Ocean dub.

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Sin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

Another trailer went up a few hours ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOi12J4nE0k

I'm really liking Kix! at the moment, they seem like the new Toonami/CNX over here.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1910
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Kix are my heroes. I'm really hoping the show gets lots of marathons like with Toonami back in the day. Also people have said that Kix seem to be rushing through the series by airing 2 new episodes a day but they do this with all of their shows. And people have pointed out the Nicktoons logo being left in but Kix also leave in the Jetix logo for Digimon.

It's going to be great for Kix's ratings. I bet it'll easily get the highest ratings they've ever had for a show. For a pretty small channel like them I bet the ratings will feel larger than life.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 am

I checked the ratings on BARB but the week DBZKai premiered is missing. I know it'll be a hit, Pretty Cure was pretty Succesful for Pop Girl as well.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Solidus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 am

Well, I watched it this morning. Again no next episode previews and the credits were sped up. However instead of Yeah Break Care Break they used Dragon Soul. They edited it down to fit the sped up credits but the song ends a good 2 or 3 seconds before they end so you can hear a big whoosh before the Toei logo pops up. Immediately after the second episode Kix! aired a new promo for Kai. Its different than the one released a few days ago as Vegeta makes an appearance in it.

User avatar
NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: Welwyn, England

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by NessMudkip » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 am

Solidus wrote:Well, I watched it this morning. Again no next episode previews and the credits were sped up. However instead of Yeah Break Care Break they used Dragon Soul. They edited it down to fit the sped up credits but the song ends a good 2 or 3 seconds before they end so you can hear a big whoosh before the Toei logo pops up. Immediately after the second episode Kix! aired a new promo for Kai. Its different than the one released a few days ago as Vegeta makes an appearance in it.
I found it funny how it was like "FUNIMATION" as the Toei logo appeared. Anyway, I'm liking this so far. Definitely gonna be watching new episodes every Saturday. My only gripe is the ending, like you said.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Subzero Ice
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Subzero Ice » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:That's correlation without necessarily causation, though. What else was going on at the time that switch happened? Were ratings down across the board for other shows? Was there a similar ratings drop on Cartoon Network US when the "Fusion Saga" stuff hit? Was it just that earlier episodes had higher ratings because it was new and exciting, and it would have dropped regardless?
In terms of correlation, I made that statement due to the way the conversation with the Head of programming went, not just based on what happened with the Fusion saga.

I didn't ask about other shows as they didn't interest me. The head of programming said they lost viewers when they broadcast the Funimation dub of the Fusion saga. He also mentioned that at some stage they had a poll to see which episodes viewers wanted to see, and the Ocean dubbed Cell and Buu episodes received the most votes.

At the time, he said that they were not looking to get Kai but if they did, it would be the Ocean dub. He seemed very aware that the Ocean dub has a strong following, more aware than I would've thought but DBZ was among their top shows so it isn't that surprising. He said that the Ocean dub 'did better' for them. The head of acquisitions at CSC Media is not as aware on the history of the DBZ dubs as the head of programming at Turner, but she hasn't been exposed to the series as much as he has so I wouldn't expect her to be.

Didn't ask about the US side of it. Anything in particular you wanted to know?
90sDBZ wrote:He's also been wrong about some stuff. He claimed that Ocean's dub was airing in December yet it didn't.
Do not misquote me. I said that Kix would broadcast Kai in December, I did not confirm which dub they would broadcast. You've already been admonished by an administrator for making an incorrect assumption about me, for which I thank VegettoEX. I didn't respond to your namecalling as you come across as a petty person from your posts. I know you don't have much of a leg to stand on, but misquoting doesn't do you any favours.

User avatar
G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:23 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah Break Care Break is a terrible "song", if you can even call it that. So is the one they started using midway through Kai.

Dragon Soul should be the opening AND ending song. Those other two songs just make the show a lot softer and feel completely out of place.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 am

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by TestDemo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Subzero Ice wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:That's correlation without necessarily causation, though. What else was going on at the time that switch happened? Were ratings down across the board for other shows? Was there a similar ratings drop on Cartoon Network US when the "Fusion Saga" stuff hit? Was it just that earlier episodes had higher ratings because it was new and exciting, and it would have dropped regardless?
In terms of correlation, I made that statement due to the way the conversation with the Head of programming went, not just based on what happened with the Fusion saga.

I didn't ask about other shows as they didn't interest me. The head of programming said they lost viewers when they broadcast the Funimation dub of the Fusion saga. He also mentioned that at some stage they had a poll to see which episodes viewers wanted to see, and the Ocean dubbed Cell and Buu episodes received the most votes.

At the time, he said that they were not looking to get Kai but if they did, it would be the Ocean dub. He seemed very aware that the Ocean dub has a strong following, more aware than I would've thought but DBZ was among their top shows so it isn't that surprising. He said that the Ocean dub 'did better' for them. The head of acquisitions at CSC Media is not as aware on the history of the DBZ dubs as the head of programming at Turner, but she hasn't been exposed to the series as much as he has so I wouldn't expect her to be.

Didn't ask about the US side of it. Anything in particular you wanted to know?
90sDBZ wrote:He's also been wrong about some stuff. He claimed that Ocean's dub was airing in December yet it didn't.
Do not misquote me. I said that Kix would broadcast Kai in December, I did not confirm which dub they would broadcast. You've already been admonished by an administrator for making an incorrect assumption about me, for which I thank VegettoEX. I didn't respond to your namecalling as you come across as a petty person from your posts. I know you don't have much of a leg to stand on, but misquoting doesn't do you any favours.
Not trying to call you anything, but not only myself but 90sDBZ and Mewzard as well have asked for actual evidence, you know, a screenshot or link to the supposed conversation between you and Turner staff to support your claim.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1910
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Subzero Ice wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:That's correlation without necessarily causation, though. What else was going on at the time that switch happened? Were ratings down across the board for other shows? Was there a similar ratings drop on Cartoon Network US when the "Fusion Saga" stuff hit? Was it just that earlier episodes had higher ratings because it was new and exciting, and it would have dropped regardless?
In terms of correlation, I made that statement due to the way the conversation with the Head of programming went, not just based on what happened with the Fusion saga.

I didn't ask about other shows as they didn't interest me. The head of programming said they lost viewers when they broadcast the Funimation dub of the Fusion saga. He also mentioned that at some stage they had a poll to see which episodes viewers wanted to see, and the Ocean dubbed Cell and Buu episodes received the most votes.

At the time, he said that they were not looking to get Kai but if they did, it would be the Ocean dub. He seemed very aware that the Ocean dub has a strong following, more aware than I would've thought but DBZ was among their top shows so it isn't that surprising. He said that the Ocean dub 'did better' for them. The head of acquisitions at CSC Media is not as aware on the history of the DBZ dubs as the head of programming at Turner, but she hasn't been exposed to the series as much as he has so I wouldn't expect her to be.

Didn't ask about the US side of it. Anything in particular you wanted to know?
90sDBZ wrote:He's also been wrong about some stuff. He claimed that Ocean's dub was airing in December yet it didn't.
Do not misquote me. I said that Kix would broadcast Kai in December, I did not confirm which dub they would broadcast. You've already been admonished by an administrator for making an incorrect assumption about me, for which I thank VegettoEX. I didn't respond to your namecalling as you come across as a petty person from your posts. I know you don't have much of a leg to stand on, but misquoting doesn't do you any favours.
Well once again you have no proof for what you claim. And even if ratings did drop at that time a much more likely cause would be that when the Fusion saga aired it was on CNX which wasn't in the kids section while all the previous sagas had been on Cartoon Network which was in the kids section. There were also a lot of people who missed out on CNX because they didn't have the channel. On top of that there were many others who didn't even know it existed. CNX got poor ratings in general, this much is obvious because it lasted only a year so you can't just blame the change of dub even if the ratings for DBZ did drop. A lot of people I talk to these days don't even remember CNX. All I hear from them is either Toonami or Cartoon Network. Honestly moving DBZ to a channel away from its main audience was a poor move from a business perspective. Unless you can show me solid evidence that the ratings climbed when Ocean's Fusion saga aired then you're the one who hasn't got a leg to stand on.

And even if this poll had actually happened it still wouldn't be solid proof because it was so obscure and not all the fans would know about the poll. Plus the results could very well have been based on people preferring Cell and Buu as villains or just preferring their sagas because of less filler. If it had been a dub poll then it might have meant something, but a saga poll proves nothing about which dub is preferred, especially when you consider that most of the audience was kids that didn't even know that the show was from Japan or an anime. Kids simply like regenerating villains like Cell and Buu. If this isn't the case then why didn't the Ocean dubbed Saiyan/Namek sagas get more votes too?

As for your quote, you didn't directly say Ocean's dub would be airing but it was heavily implied by the way you spoke of the Ocean dub in the same post.

Anyway I apologise for the name calling. It was out of line and uncalled for and for that I'm sorry.

Back to the topic at hand. You seem unable to prove what you claim. But I do have evidence which suggests that FUNi is the preffered dub. Scroll down and listen to the Podcast about Season 1 of the orange bricks.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/podcast/page/3/

The head of marketing for Manga UK clearly states that people prefer FUNi's dub. Whether that was the case 10 years ago I can't prove but that seems to be how it is now. I've provided an official statement based on recent feedback from UK fans while all you can give me is your word about something from a decade ago which probably wasn't influenced by varying dubs anyway. Like people have said, DBZ was the number 1 show from start to finish regardless of dub. The Ginyu-Trunks sagas had its fans and those same fans would have been very happy to see FUNi's dub finally return.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:59 am

I forgot about Kai's broadcast in UK on the 5th January, but I suppose there were people waiting to watch it, if I had reminded myself I might've seen it. Not likely, though.

For a country that's kind of obsolete with Dragon Ball content in comparison to America, whether how shit's pronounced probably wasn't what was at stake, but availability and affordability.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm just glad more anime is coming to the UK.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Ryuman
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 am
Location: Taunton, England

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Ryuman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Aww, I took a look at a poll on Kix's website about Kai and it seems the kiddies are quite into it. :) Obviously I had to vote to see the results, so that's one unfair vote for it being the best Kix show.
But yeah, I saw just how bad that whole ending sequence was. Jeez
Last edited by Ryuman on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

i cant see your pic...
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Mewzard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:i cant see your pic...
It's just missing the :

Here you go:

Image
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
Ryuman
Regular
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 am
Location: Taunton, England

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Ryuman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am

Oh, really sorry about that. :oops: I went back and fixed it (I hope).

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

DBZKai still doesnt show up in the ratings... This is weird, Pretty Cure was THE highest rated show on its premiere week... I guess it will take the crown in ratings once Kix gives it more airing slots.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:49 am

It will probably show up possibly later down the line once more episodes have aired.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Still no DBZKai on the Top 10...
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply