How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Something I've been curious about is hearing people's opinions on the re-cast characters, now that Kai is over (well, until Buu anyway). Even for the characters people don't really talk about. Some characters I already have an idea on the general consencous, such as most people being happy that Freeza got the proper script and voice treatment. Althoughit does take me out of the moment anytime I see Episode 1 and hear Linda Young again. But, actually, in this case it could be any dub or the original you have opinions on. I know just about every dub done so far at least has some recasts, or a lot such as the Latin American Spanish dub. I'll post my own opinions as well, but, mainly on the English dub since that's how I've watched Kai.

Freeza: Not much I can say, Chris Ayres does an amazing job capturing the spirit of the character, his voice could maybe be a tad less androdgenous; but, I won't hold that against him, that just seems to be the English dubs' way of adapting Freeza's feminine speech pattern from the original. As far as I'm concerned, in English Chris Ayres is the definitive Freeza. He definitely lived up to the hype and even the claim that he'd basically be an English Nakao.

Gohan: I love that they recast him, I never though Gohan in Z sounded right, Nadolny was great as Goku in my opinion; but, Gohan, not so much. Colleen Clickenbeard manages to proper capture the emotions of Gohan while sounding age apropriate throughout the entire series (even slightly deepening it during the Cell Saga).

Narrator: I also loved this recast, this is symbolic of them taking Kai more seriously than Z. He doesn't have the psuedo-YEAH I CAN'T ACTUALLY NARRATE BUT I'M GOING TO ANYWAY tone of all the previous Z ones. Minus the Ocean dub (non-in house FUNimation dub) version of the narrator. I wish he could of done King Kai's voice or someone with a similar tone to him did.

Bulma: I never really hated Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma, but she was monotone in the role. Luckily, that is no longer the case. Although it is kinda funny/ironic that Monica Rial has a similar tone to the first Ocean dub Bulma.

Andriod 18: She's one of the character's I actually like both dubs versions of, Colleen had better acting and sounded closer to the Japanese version, but, I always liked Meredith McCoy in the role as well.

Dr. Brief: I liked both dubs takes on him, I noticed he had a new voice in Kai; but, I wasn't particularly in favorite of either version. They both fit him.

The Turtle: It's one of those roles I really don't notice a difference; but, apparently he was recast.

Mr. Popo: This is a different case, he got sent back to his original FUNimation voice, as Sabat did it second. This is similar to Dr. Brief, don't particularly think any version is better than the other.

Chaozu/Pu'er: Apathy, no matter who voices it, it'll sound so similar most people won't even notice they were recast.

Oolong: I like both voices for him, but, I still don't understand why even now he has a psuedo-Boston-ish accent. Although it is odd sometimes Bryan Massey sounds like John DiMaggio.

Dende: I like both versions, but, Maxey Whitehead's take sounds a lot more natural and more well acted.

Appule: Apathy here as well, although I noticed it was a different voice actor (Kyle Hebert, this time), any voice basically works. Hard to screw up such a minor role, even if this minor role is one of Mike's favorites, haha.

Android 19: I don't like any take of 19 in the English version. Todd Haberkorn's acting is just fine, I just prefer the Japanese's versions take of a deeper voiced, creepy robot rather than the psudeo-Elmo robot voice every English voice has done. Probably doesn't help that I just hate Android 19's exisitance in general, I'm glad Toriyama's editor made him create better villains, haha.

Grand Elder: I prefer this new version a lot better, he sounds appropriately old and wise. Hell, if he wasn't voicing the Grand Elder, he could've been another potential King Kai voice in my opinion.

Muuri: Appropriately old as well, although not as old sounding as the first Grand Elder. He does better, voice and acting wise than Sabat did in Z.

Zarbon: Aside from Freeza, the Grand Elder and the Narrator, this is my favorite recast of Kai. J. Michael Tatum does a great job at making him apropriately smug and doesn't have that weird flamboyant tone Sabat had in his Z version.

Dodoria: I'm not particularly caring of either voice, they both fit Dodoria, although the Kai one is better acted.

Farmer: He just sounds generic as he always has, he did get recast though.

Ginyu: I like both versions (him and Armstrong), although, I'm gonna have to give the favorite Ginyu voice to Armstrong. R. Bruce Elliot is good as well though, very nice drill sargent-esque sound in his voice and his acting is slightly better.

Jheese: I prefer the Kai version, I never liked the full fleged stereotypical Austrialian accent Jhesse had in Z. Even though Jason Liebrecht didn't completely use a typical American accent, it sounded like a switch between multiple, which is fine. Acting for Jhesse is much better this time around as well.

Butta: Acting's better this time around, it's obvious that Vic is voicing him, but Butta is one of those characters where almost every voice he's been given has sounded similar.

Gurd: Appropriately whiney and wussy sounding, although Greg Ayres tends to get typecast for that, it worked here with Gurd. I still wish Recoome would have got recast, yeah he doesn't sound a "DUR HUR" as before; but he was the one in the Ginyu Force that needed recast the most and never did.

Kid Vegeta: Still sounds somewhat like Sabat's old version, but, much less forced. Makes sense to have Laura Bailey do this version of him, if Kid Vegeta appears in more media, I'd like to see her do more with it.

King Cold: He sounds much better this time around, he has a regal, demanding tone to him this time. Very similar to the tone of the Japanese voices for him. Along with Freeza, this recast was much welcomed.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Freeza: A pitch too high and it still sounds androgynous, but Ayres gets it for the most part. I could see where some people could find this voice a little annoying. He plays Freeza much more crazy like outside of his primal screams and paired with his super pitched voice...yeah. The best part of his performance is really the script itself. It's a little wordy and fast, though. Sometimes, I have a hard time catching what he says.

Gohan: Not a believable boy voice, but Colleen gets it.

Narrator: Loved him.

Bulma: One of the best recasts in here. She's great. She can get a little screechy in the Dragon Ball movie, though.

Andriod 18: It's ok.

Dr. Brief: They work, no complaints..

The Turtle: He was recast? o_O

Mr. Popo, Chaozu/Pu'er: They all work.

Oolong: I like the old voice better, but he doesn't do a bad job.

Dende: Maxey Whitehead was great here.

Appule: Don't really care much, but Kyle does a good enough job.

Android 19: Don't like this voice at all.

Grand Elder: He was simply awesome.

Muuri: Good stuff.

Zarbon: This one's one of my favorites. He never falls into that trap of making him overly flamboyant. Tatum plays him a lot more regal and he sounds great for that.

Dodoria: It works.

Farmer: Don't care.

Ginyu: Not a big fan of it, but it works.

Jheese: I actually like Sabat's version more to be honest.

Butta: Fine.

Gurd: Good.

Recoome: *facepalm*

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Wow, looking at the listing on ANN to do this, there was actually a LOT more re-casting than I remembered. A lot of it is here and there, but still.

Vegeta (Kid) (From Chris Sabat to Laura Bailey) - It's a small thing, but I wanted to note it, and say that I prefer Bailey's. Sabat's just sounded too forced really, now that I think about it, though it never really bothered me before.
Gohan (From Stephanie Nadolny to Colleen Clinkenbeard) - I'm kind of mixed on this one. Colleen does a great job, but I for one never disliked Nadolny (other than maybe her youngest Gohan, but I hate Gohan at that age anyway), so...I'm moot on this one really.
Chiaotzu (From Monika Antonelli to Brina Palencia) - Antonelli did okay, but Palencia is the better actress overall, so I have to give this one to her.
Bulma (From Tiffany Volmer to Monica Rial) - I never disliked Volmer at all, so I'm kinda moot on this one too. Rial does good, but I just didn't see much point in this change.
Dr. Briefs (From Chris Forbis to Mark Stoddard) - I could go either way on this one too, no real reason. He's just kinda...there, anyway.
Mr. Popo (From Chris Sabat to Chris Cason) - This was one of the roles I didn't mind Sabat having as his umpteenth role before, but just from the POV of lessening his amount of characters, I liked this change.
Oolong (From Brad Jackson to Bryan Massey) - Meh. If they were going to recast Oolong, they could have gone with someone more in the vein of Tatsuta in the Japanese, but since they didn't, they may as well have just stuck with Jackson.
Puar (From Monika Antonelli to Brina Palencia) - Same as with Chiaotzu, thought his time I actually definitely prefer Palencia's voice too. It's a LOT less squeaky and grating on the ears.
Turtle (From Chris Sabat to Chris Cason) - Another one that I didn't hate Sabat's, it worked, but as far as lessening his roles...why not.
Dende (From Laura Bailey to Maxey Whitehead) - I liked Bailey's, but Maxey probably does do a better little boy voice, so I approve.
Muri (From Chris Sabat to Barry Yandell) - Again, the less of Sabat as everyone on Namek ever, the better. And I was shocked to hear Yandell do a voice like this - I'm far to used to him playing people like Bon Clay in One Piece. :lol:
Grand Elder (From Chris Sabat to Bill Jenkins) - *points to comments about lessening the Sabat saturation*
Dodoria (From Chris Forbis to John Swasey) - Forbis was okay, but Swasey's the better actor I think, so this works.
Zarbon (From Chris Sabat to J. Michael Tatum) - Definitely sounds more serious and less goofy, so I enjoyed this recast.
Guldo (From Bill Townsley to Greg Ayres) - Bill Townsley did good, but his Guldo and his Cui always sounded way too much like the same voice to me. So keeping him as only one of them worked better, so this worked for me.
Burter (From Chris Sabat to Vic Mignogna) - Not really just a Kai re-cast, but...anyway, again, the Sabat thing. This works.
Jeice (From Chris Sabat to Jason Liebrecht) - This is the role from the Ginyu Force that I wish Sabat had kept. I'm one of those that still can't quite get used to Liebrecht's voice for the role. Give me Space Australia anyday.
Captain Ginyu (From Brice Armstrong to R. Bruce Elliot) - I hate to say it but...I like Elliot's better than Armstrong's. Don't get me wrong, Armstrong is an AMAZING actor, and I wish he was still working, but I noticed the last time I listened to his Ginyu that his age comes through in the voice a little too well. It just doesn't gel with Ginyu as well for me now as Armstrong's does.
Freeza (From Linda Young to Chris Ayres) - I like Young's work for what it is, and I think she acted the role better than a lot of people give her credit for - for what they wanted for Freeza, she did great, for a number of years. But there's no contest here - between the two, Ayres is much, much, much, much, MUCH better.
King Cold (From Brad Jackson to Jason Douglas) - Jackson's was all right, a little prissy maybe (probably to fit with that version of Freeza), but I probably have to hand this to Douglas.
Android 19 (From Phillip Wilburn to Todd Haberkorn) - Wilburn's was always a little ear-piercing for me, even though it worked, and Haberkorn's is less painful, so I liked this one too.
Android 18 (From Meredith McCoy to Colleen Clinkenbeard) - This was the recast that caught me by surprise. And I'm still conflicted on it. I like Meredith's, but Colleen's does sound younger and more fitting...and well, let's face it - Clinkenbeard is one of the best at sounding, um..."alluring". Ahem. So yeah. It works!
Narrator (From Kyle Hebert to Doc Morgan) - I also never really hated Kyle's take, even if it was a little over the top, but I do prefer what Morgan does even better. It's a pity that Armstrong was no longer working to narrate here though.

Also, in closing, I have to say that no matter how I feel about any of these recastings, I still decry the way FUNi went about some of them. Simply tossing Volmer, Jackson, Nadolny, and so many more away, without even telling them about it? Not to mention the way things went down for Linda Young. That's just messed up, even if it is show business.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

I forgot about the Kid Vegeta re-cast, but I agree with you there. Even though I love most of the Kai voices better, I can at least agree with some of the politics of them being iffy.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Young's case had her voice be strained so I guess that a bit more understandable.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm going to be posting this in separate parts since I do want to think it through.
I'l start with the basics.
Kid Goku: I know he was barely in Kai but I do count the 2010 version of DB Movie 1 as part of the Kai dub.
Collen Clinkenbeard was great as Kid Goku but you just can't beat Nadalony as Kid Goku.

Gohan: I'm a bit stuck on this one, Clinkenbeard was great but Nadalony was great as well besides having a bit of a rasp, she did have a cute little boy feel to her voice especially in the UUE dub and the rasp isn't that bad IMO. Millhouse from the Simpsons has a similar voice and you don't see people complaining about that. Though Colleen Clinkenbeard still does a fantastic job of bringing out Gohan's character especially in the Cell arc. Tough choice but I think I'l go with Nadalony just by a little bit though.

Bulma: Now this is a really tough one, I like both voices. Volmer fit's the girly girl personality of Bulma without making her sound like a ditz which is fitting for Bulma's pretty girl who's a genius a genius theme while Monica Rial makes her sound a bit more mature. If I had to make a choice I would pick Monica Rial for Adult Bulma and Volmer for Teen Bulma.
I'l post more later.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Millhouse from the Simpsons has a similar voice and you don't see people complaining about that.
Because it fit the character.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am

I looked at Kai as a completely new show, and tried my best not to even compare it to the older one. The thing is, if I want to watch DBZ, I have the orange bricks on my shelf. I tried to look at Kai on its own merit, because Kai wasn't made for me. It was made for a potential new generation of fans, at least in America where it was aired on Nickolodean.So, how do I like Kai as a gateway to anime/more DBZ for kids these days?

I love it! I think the actors all did amazing jobs. For someone watching DBZ for the first time, I really don't think any actors did anything that would lessen a first-time viewers experience.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 am

I really didn't like Dodoria and Jheese. They're small roles that can be overlooked for the most part, but they were just rough on the ears.

There's one scene at the end of the fight with Vegeta where Karin sounds really weird; I don't think that was a recast however and just Sabat... doing something different?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:53 am

Freeza: Holy Shit is he great. Anything is already above Linda Young, but damn isn't he awesome. I will say sometimes during the high pitch sounds he can be annoying, but a lot of the time Freeza is a brat so it kind of shows the bratty and psychopathic side he tries to have. He is the best recast ever. As the thread poster said "He definitely lived up to the hype and even the claim that he'd basically be an English Nakao".

Gohan: For the most part a good recast. Nadonly just sounded way to raspy and old for Gohan. She sounded better during the Cell Games, but still sounded like something was wrong with Gohan's throat. Collen does occasionally sound femine and annoying, but makes up for it with much better acting then Nadonly and having much more believable voice. Still I would rather someone sounding more like a boy with innocence without having rasp or sounding like a girl. Collen avoids that problem for the most part, but occasionally her feminism shows in Gohan.

Narrator: For a story like Dragonball, Doc Morgan easily does the better job, I still love Kyle Heberts monster truck announcer voice, but it really isn't the angle or image Dragon Ball should have. I look forward to his Adult Gohan again.

Bulma: Rial is less bitchy and projects more then Volmer, she has more emotion to. But I still like Volmer

Andriod 18: Much better voice considering 18 is a teenager and not in her 30's. Still like McCoy, but she would be better if 18 was older (which I don't think she does besides her internal organs)

Dr. Brief: Never noticed, Don't care.

The Turtle: Don't care

Mr. Popo: Sounds a lot closer to the Japanese version now. I say it's a step up mainly because he sounded so much like a coward. (not sure if he was suppose to) Also the new Popo sounds more mysterious. But nothing beats the Popo everyone actually loves

Chaozu/Pu'er: Don't care

Oolong: Haven't looked into/probably won't

Dende: Don't care

Appule: Who cares

Android 19: Less weird then the Original, Better acted in Kai.

Grand Elder: I really like the new voice, but can't compare it to the old voice that I don't remember

Muuri: Who Cares

Zarbon: Much better now. He was a stereotypical homosexual before. Now he sounds elegant, snobby, and doesn't come off like a stereotype. Also voiced by the guy who scripted Kai. Thank you J. Michael Tatum.

Dodoria: Not much difference except better acting in Kai

Farmer: Scott Mcneil pretty much wins. He is more entertaining then the Funi or Kai version.

Ginyu: I like both versions

Jheese: Kai version has much better acting and isn't a stupid stereotype

Butta: Don't care

Gurd: Don't care

Kid Vegeta: Don't care

King Cold: A really awesome voice in Kai. It makes me sad I can't hear it past the encounter with Trunks. Sounded like a king, sounded evil, sounded cowardly after realization, it had everything. The Kai voice here is much better then Jacksons

Some samples are here for voices
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 am

GOHAN (formerly Stephanie Naldony, now Colleen Clinkenbeard): I'm really glad they replaced Naldony in this role, and with an excellent actress. Clinkenbeard's Gohan has a similar rasp to Naldony's, but it feels more natural, less exaggerated. And she does more with him, his voice evolving over time, and she's clearly just a better actress. You really get a feeling for the character. It was a role that desperately needed a new VA and I'm glad they refilled it with somebody this talented.

BULMA (formerly Tiffany Vollmer, now Monica Rial): This was another role that needed recasting and once again, with somebody I'm a big fan of. Vollmer was especially pernicious as Bulma, with this over-the-top stereotypical "valley girl" intonation. She brought out only the worst aspects of the character (I feel likewise about Cynthia Cranz's Chi-Chi), and her garish squeals enraged me. Fortunately Monica Rial restored Bulma's humanity, without removing any of her youthful enthusiasm.

FREEZA (formerly Linda Young, now Chris Ayres): Linda Young always sounded too throaty and gravelly, like a lifetime smoker. A woman smoker. A smoking granny. Sure, she made Freeza seem "alien", but her delivery was very off-putting and artificial. Chris Ayres, on the other hand, might be the best performer in the Kai dub. His Freeza has a flamboyant, and yet sharp and measured. Ayres' delivery is really breathtaking, and sells this sense of pomposity and gravity that none of the English Freezas up until now had.

ZARBON (formerly Chris Sabat, now J Michael Tatum): Chris Sabat's fem British-y Zarbon was fine for a character like Zarbon, a flamboyant bishonen. I never really had that big a problem with Sabat's Zarbon. However, I prefer Tatum's. He does everything Sabat does with the role but without the phony accent. They both do well in the monsterous form. Overall, though, Tatum does slightly better. It wasn't really a role that needed replacing, but I'm glad it was.

CAPTAIN GINYU (formerly Brice Armstrong, now R Bruce Elliot): This is a toughie. I really respected Brice Armstrong in the role, as far as the sound and delivery. He had this confident, commanding presence, but with a tad of playfulness to it, too. Elliot's does much of the same, but it's a little weaker and feels like an echo of Armstrong's but without his gravitas. On the other hand, the sound is a bit more consistent than Armstrong's, which faltered sometimes. Generally I probably perfer Armstrong, but Elliot does a good job.

ARTIFICIAL HUMAN NO. 18 (formerly Meredith McCoy, now Colleen Clinkenbeard): At first I was too busy missing McCoy's 18, one of my few likes in the old dub of DBZ. Even though her acting wasn't top-notch, I liked how she gave a very abrasive, sardonic-sounding quality to 18. With Clinkenbeard, it's more casual, not as pointed, and even kind of younger-sounding. So I'd have to say that overall it's a tie.

DENDE (formerly Laura Bailey, now Maxey Whitehead): I've liked every Dende voice thus far. I mean, both Japanese voices and all of the Funimation and Ocean voices (except Justin Cook as older Dende). Delgadillo had this slight kid rasp, Bailey was more energetic, and Whitehead sounds very vulnerable. So I have had no problem with English dub performers as this character.

NARRATOR (formerly Kyle Hebert, now Doc Morgan): Morgan's narration is leagues better than Hebert's "monster truck rally announcer", which is just painfully grainy and hammy, and not in a good way. At all.

Don't really care about most of the other re-castings. Though I do wish they had replaced the voices of Chi-Chi, Kaio, Tenshinhan, and Recoome.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not to mention the way things went down for Linda Young. That's just messed up, even if it is show business.
Linda Young actually wasn't tossed out. The new dialogue was too fast and intricate for her to perform Frieza's voice. She was told in advance Chris was going to be Friezab in Kai, and was happy it was him. Linda was happy her character baby would be well-represented, and the two get along very well.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 pm

I'm not going to mention all of them specifically:

Kid Vegeta- Even though Laura Bailey only gets a few seconds' dialogue here, I really think she nailed it. She really sounds like a younger version of Chris Sabat. It made me very confident in her ability should she return to voice Trunks in the Boo arc.

Gohan- Honestly, Colleen Clinkenbeard is probably my favorite addition to the cast. I know she gets a lot of flack for sounding too "girly" or whatever... but I think she sounds a lot more like an actual child than Stephanie Nadolny did. And I'll be honest, Nadolny's take on the role was a product of its time. Kids were commonly given ridiculously-raspy voices like that (Veronica Taylor's Ash, for example), and sometimes it worked, but it didn't with Gohan.

Freeza- I really can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Chris Ayres was a perfect match.

Dende- I don't remember much of Laura Bailey's Dende, but Maxey Whitehead is absolutely my favorite English Dende. She's just so good at portraying his innocence and his energy.

Grand Elder- another much-needed recast. I realize Funimation was really short-handed at the time of the older dub, but I still can't go back to Chris Sabat's.

Muri- Same as the Grand Elder.

Oolong- This is probably the only recast I DON'T like. It was a missed opportunity to make the dub that much more faithful.

#18- This one, I could go either way (dohoho). I was very unimpressed with Colleen Clinkenbeard at first, but later on, I thought she did an awesome job. She and Meredith McCoy play up differing aspects of the character, but they're both valid interpretations.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 am

In what episode does Kid Vegeta appear in Kai?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 am

songohan619 wrote:In what episode does Kid Vegeta appear in Kai?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EyY2t3jTOc

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Smochi wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not to mention the way things went down for Linda Young. That's just messed up, even if it is show business.
Linda Young actually wasn't tossed out. The new dialogue was too fast and intricate for her to perform Freeza's voice. She was told in advance Chris was going to be Friezab in Kai, and was happy it was him. Linda was happy her character baby would be well-represented, and the two get along very well.
I'm sure they get along pretty well, but this is the first I've ever heard about her 'knowing' beforehand she was going to be replaced. If that was the case, why did they use her for Freeza in the first episode? That's just bizarre. :wtf:

Anyway, my point still stands at least in the case of Nadolny, Volmer, Jackson, and Antonelli. Regardless of how one might feel about their performances, after all the years they spent portraying the roles successfully enough, they deserved a better sendoff than being replaced without being told.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Smochi wrote:
Linda Young actually wasn't tossed out. The new dialogue was too fast and intricate for her to perform Freeza's voice. She was told in advance Chris was going to be Friezab in Kai, and was happy it was him. Linda was happy her character baby would be well-represented, and the two get along very well.
I'm sure they get along pretty well, but this is the first I've ever heard about her 'knowing' beforehand she was going to be replaced. If that was the case, why did they use her for Freeza in the first episode? That's just bizarre. :wtf:

Anyway, my point still stands at least in the case of Nadolny, Volmer, Jackson, and Antonelli. Regardless of how one might feel about their performances, after all the years they spent portraying the roles successfully enough, they deserved a better sendoff than being replaced without being told.

That first episode scene actually was just a re-use of the Bardock special, which she was already in. It saves a ton of time and money. And Linda Young actually told Chris that she was ok with the recasting because it was with him. Of course she must have been really heartbroken to not play him til the very end, but Chris had her blessing.

If the others truly had not been told though, that would suck.:(

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Hmmm.....so her laugh in episode 1 of Kai was actually a re-used sound byte?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I always thought so, but let me look it up.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm

That would kind of make sense, but...hmm. Would re-using just ONE line really have saved them that much cash in the long run, considering they were re-doing everything else around it really?

I'm not doubting you really Smochi, but do you have any evidence of this at all?
Twitter