Could Kai get ANOTHER rescore?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could Kai get ANOTHER rescore?

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

kei17 wrote:
Sani wrote:
kei17 wrote:I happened to have a chance to talk with one of the staff members after the taping of Hoko x Tate. Now I know the score they're using for the Buu arc of Kai, BUT I can't let it out. Hmm...
Hmm, I'm very curious. If it's not a direct question, people who would like something new, will be happy? :)
Yes.
I for one am ecstatic about it not being the same reused Kikuchi tracks for the Buu arc of Kai. Sure, people can argue that it won't be a consistent leap from the previous Kai arcs, but Toei already screwed themselves by making Kai itself such a jumbled mess already that I really don't care about consistency at this point. All I really want to see is a "filler-free" Buu arc with the same Funimation dub efforts given for the previous Kai, accompanied by an awesome and engaging new soundtrack! Bring it on Toei!
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm

The score is what made Kai for me, that epic orchestra, I loved it, now that it's gone, I'd rather watch dbz, the only thing that would reignite my love for Kai would be if they hired Takaki to score it.... maybe even Kiohei Tanaka, but if I'm gonna be hearing the same music as dbz, just like I said, I'd rather watch dbz.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 pm

I think Michiru Oshima would be a good choice, though I don't know that she's ever done any work for Toei, or that she is even still in the business.

Her scores are very cinematic (and, I mean, she has done a few movies in the past), and I think she'd be a good successor to Yamamoto (minus the plagiarism).

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

CaBrPi wrote:I think Michiru Oshima would be a good choice, though I don't know that she's ever done any work for Toei, or that she is even still in the business.
Why do I know that name...did she score the first Fullmetal Alchemist series?

I really don't know what I want out of a new score for the rest of Kai (especially with it being even more wildly inconsistent on my shelf now), but if whoever did the YYH score is still around and in the business, I'd love to see what they could do with it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

CaBrPi wrote:I think Michiru Oshima would be a good choice, though I don't know that she's ever done any work for Toei, or that she is even still in the business.

Her scores are very cinematic (and, I mean, she has done a few movies in the past), and I think she'd be a good successor to Yamamoto (minus the plagiarism).
Michiru Oshima is an brilliant composer who I've really respected from her works in the first Fullmetal Alchemist TV series and several of the millenium Godzilla movies, however I really don't know if I'd consider her composing for a Dragon Ball series. I'm sure she has quite the music range going for her, but from what I mostly know of her previous works, she has a very militaristic tone to many of her themes that don't strike me as something I'd hear from Dragon Ball (unless of course the Red Ribbon Army or Ginyu Force is involved).

Oshima's music has also included some very dark, slow and somber theme's as well as very heartfelt, softer music meant for highly dramatic moments. I'm not sure (considering Dragonball only occasionally has those types of moments) that she'd be my first choice, but It sure would be an interesting change of pace.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:22 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:

Michiru Oshima is an brilliant composer who I've really respected from her works in the first Fullmetal Alchemist TV series and several of the millenium Godzilla movies, however I really don't know if I'd consider her composing for a Dragon Ball series. I'm sure she has quite the music range going for her, but from what I mostly know of her previous works, she has a very militaristic tone to many of her themes that don't strike me as something I'd hear from Dragon Ball (unless of course the Red Ribbon Army or Ginyu Force is involved).

Oshima's music has also included some very dark, slow and somber theme's as well as very heartfelt, softer music meant for highly dramatic moments. I'm not sure (considering Dragonball only occasionally has those types of moments) that she'd be my first choice, but It sure would be an interesting change of pace.
I would love to hear what amazing motifs she would bring to the series. FMA has one of the best musical scores I've ever heard.

however if not takaki, I go for Kouhei Tanaka!. his score for one piece and Gravity Rush are flawless!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:43 am

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:

It was actually her work on Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS that I had in mind. Say what you will about the quality of the films (they're very divisive amongst the fandom), but the music in those was beautiful, high-octane, and so fun.

This track in particular sounds pretty fitting to me. I do agree that a lot of her work tends to be more somber or emotional, but I definitely think she can pull off the fight music very well.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:46 am

CaBrPi wrote:This track in particular sounds pretty fitting to me.
Honestly I can't imagine that playing along with poorly drawn TV episodes.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:50 am

kei17 wrote:
I dunno. It sounds similar to a Yamamoto piece to me, and that's what I was going for.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am

CaBrPi wrote:
kei17 wrote:
I dunno. It sounds similar to a Yamamoto piece to me, and that's what I was going for.
It sounds a 50's horror movie yamamoto XD, It's awesome though and I can see where you come from with being similar to yamamoto, in Kai, the orchestral "BANG" was Yamamoto's Trademark.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Get whomever composed for FMA: Brotherhood. Fixed.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Duo wrote:Get whomever composed for FMA: Brotherhood. Fixed.
Akira Senju, I second that, either FMA composer would be sweet. But, realistically I don't see it happenning. It'll most likely be Battle of the Gods' composer.

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 pm

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but for me, I won't be able to enjoy the next part of Kai as much because I love the Kikuchi music. I have a bias though because I pretty much just got into DBZ 6 months ago. I have Yamamoto music on season 1 of Kai and Kikuchi for the rest. Yamamoto is okay but I love me some Kikuchi, it just has some kind of charm and epicness to it. I listen to the tracks on YouTube all the time. I've been watching the Buu arc online while I wait for Kai to come out and I gotta say I think it's pretty stupid and quite a step down from the rest of the arcs (and no it's not just because I'm used to the re-dub and Blu-ray quality, the story just seems really stupid) and Buu and Bobidi are annoying as HELL. I'm at about episode 263 out of 291 now, it was cool when the bad*** Buu emerged so hopefully things pick up.

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I know the Kikuchi tracks have really sporadic placement, but for consistency's sake, I still want Kikuchi...

I hope to god it's new Kikuchi compositions, or maybe new arrangements of Kikuchi's pieces. Regardless of what it is, as long as it's good I won't have too many complaints I guess.
So do we 100% know for sure that it isn't different or redone Kikuchi tracks?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 pm

G1GACANN0N wrote:So do we 100% know for sure that it isn't different or redone Kikuchi tracks?
kei17 wrote:
Sani wrote:Hmm, I'm very curious. If it's not a direct question, people who would like something new, will be happy? :)
Yes.
I wouldn't mind if they'd reuse the synthesised Kikuchi tracks from RB & UB games, but I just don't see this happening. This could be considered "new" (despite Ultimate Blast being from 2011) but probably not.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 am

Arrangements of the Kikuchi score would also be great. I just find the originals haven't been well placed in Kai so far, thus something different has to happen.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Kendamu wrote:I absolutely hope that there's a brand new Canadian-made score for the Ocean Group-acted version of Kai.
With some Bieber songs maybe :lol:
(joking of course)
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 pm

omegalucas wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I absolutely hope that there's a brand new Canadian-made score for the Ocean Group-acted version of Kai.
(joking of course)
DEMON BEGONE FROM HIS BODY, WARP HIS MIND NO LONGER! *brittish accent*

LOL, I can only imagine bieber singing Kai's Second Ending XD

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
omegalucas wrote:
(joking of course)
DEMON BEGONE FROM HIS BODY, WARP HIS MIND NO LONGER! *brittish accent*

LOL, I can only imagine bieber singing Kai's Second Ending XD
"Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, baaaallll, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon...."
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am

Kendamu wrote: "Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, baaaallll, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon...."
I Thought you'd always be mi- NO! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME! :shock: