Re-animated scenes you actually liked?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re-animated scenes you actually liked?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:50 am

Hey, everyone. While re-watching Kai, I always had this thought in the back of my mind. While the redrawn scenes were inconsistant and didn't always mesh with the original animation, there were a few choice scenes I thought looked quite good. Any there that stick out to anyone else as well-done? BTW, screencaps are preferred, as long as they're not ridiculously large.

Here's a few samples of ones that I rather liked:

Feel free to post ones you like, guys!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Re-animated scenes you actually liked?

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am

The new opening was pretty good :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm not a big fan of the reanimated stuff. It's like the changes done to Star Wars. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 29, 2013 7:13 am

My main issue with the reanimated parts were that there was no line thickness difference. In all of the original hand drawn cells, you can see how the thickness varies along the lines. Most of the time this is deliberate as it adds depth - you can see Toriyama make huge use of this in Dragon Ball (less so in Z). However, in the reanimated scenes, they're all single thickness strokes and as a result, it just looks like lazily drawn over footage. It makes me wonder who exactly was in charge of these scenes? As someone with some background in this field of work, I know for a fact that pressure sensitivity is easily done digitally so I'm curious as to whether this was done to save time on animation or whether it was just amateurs working on the redos.

Despite that though, I think the main reason it sticks out so much is that the animation sits above the natural layer of grain that the show has. I do wonder how well it would have meshed if they'd added a digital layer over the top. I'm sure the design decision was to not do this simply to preserve image quality but I'm curious regardless.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.