Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2006
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm

https://twitter.com/seanschemmel

Audient ‏@AudientWorld 22 Apr

INTERVIEW: Voice Actor - Sean Schemmel a.k.a Goku! http://tmblr.co/ZCnUgujGr11v
Retweeted by Sean Schemmel

"Tell us about some of the projects you have been involved in. What is your favourite project to date?
“Well of course, the Dragonball series has a special place for me in my heart, but there are other projects that were more “fun” for a number of reasons. Kappa Mikey comes to mind, which was a parody about anime. Recording both the audiobooks “Shit My Dad Says” and “I Suck At Girls” was a total blast to work on because those books are hilarious. But most recently getting to play Batman/Bruce Wayne in the iPad game Batman The Dark Knight Rises by Gameloft was really really thrilling. I consider it a major career highlight. I’m currently working Yugioh Zexal and I am about to finish the Buu saga for DBZ Kai.” "

So...anyone else excited for this?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I am excitied, guess this means the Japanese cast already finished. Nice, I'll be able to have all of Kai pretty soon (even though I have everything out so far.)

User avatar
Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: England

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Oh cool! I can't wait to see how well it's been done. :)

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by WesMan23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 pm

It's about time. I'm really interested to see how they handled Goku's SSJ3 transformation. Julius Dobos' SSJ3 Ascension theme really fit that part in the FUNi dub, and it was one of the parts that was really well done, in my opinion. I know it won't be the same score, but I hope that they keep it on a comparably epic scale. Because, unlike Goku's first SSJ transformation, which was meant to be frightening, this one seemed to be intended for pure, explicit, balls-to-the-wall incredible and awesome. He was showing off his immense power, and the scene reflected that, I hope it still does.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Solidus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm

It sounds like they dubbed the whole arc in one go. At least this means they won't have to worry about a TV channel looking for more episodes off them so they can ensure that the dub isn't rushed. Funny how Funimation is nearly finished dubbing the Buu arc and Ocean Kai is only barely finished the Cell arc and still no word of it.

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm

The fact that Sean Schemmel is nearly finished doesn't necessarily mean everyone's finished. I'd imagine they got him to do as much as they could whenever they could get him out to Dallas, since he does more work in New York (I believe). Haven't heard anything from Mike McFarland, Kyle Hebert, Kara Edwards, and so on, about it. That might not mean much, though.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by matt0044 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Solidus wrote:It sounds like they dubbed the whole arc in one go. At least this means they won't have to worry about a TV channel looking for more episodes off them so they can ensure that the dub isn't rushed.
Hopefully they do they episodes then show them on TV.

As for the confirmation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_GJ6T2aFx4

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by WesMan23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm

CaBrPi wrote:The fact that Sean Schemmel is nearly finished doesn't necessarily mean everyone's finished. I'd imagine they got him to do as much as they could whenever they could get him out to Dallas, since he does more work in New York (I believe). Haven't heard anything from Mike McFarland, Kyle Hebert, Kara Edwards, and so on, about it. That might not mean much, though.
Very true. But it is a definitive sign of progress, the most since Sabat's "announcement". It doesn't seem to be so much in the realm of speculation at this point, finally. If the 66 episode claim is true, then reasonably we're looking at roughly 3 sets coming out, or 6 parts if they do it that way as well. It will be interesting to see how they divide it up though, since it's primarily 26 episodes per set, that wouldn't equal out quite right. But that's neither here or there at the moment, it's just good that we have more word on it.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3593
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

I was under the impression that they didn't even have it yet. However, I had that impression because I was thinking uder the assumption that FUNimation wouldn't begin dubbing the Kai-Buu arc until they received all the footage.

...Then I remembered, they didn't wait for Kai to be done when they began dubbing it. In fact, I remember being a tad surprised that they started dubbing as quickly as they did (they made the announcement in early '10, but they actually began dubbing in December of '09). I think there was some speculation going around that Toei licensed Kai pretty quickly in an attempt to get a boost to a tight budget. Perhaps it's a similar situation here.

Either way, I'm excited!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Kyle Hebert will return as Gohan, he revealed via Twitter. So, whatever NDA there was must be up.

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Hah. I actually Tweeted at him, asking if he could say anything, after reading through that interview with Sean.

Kyle just posted on Facebook, adding that he will be recording in a few weeks. He lives in LA, so it's not surprising that he can't just record whenever.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6117
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

So... Is it wrong for me to hope for a release by the end of this year or early next year? :shifty:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:So... Is it wrong for me to hope for a release by the end of this year or early next year? :shifty:
I'm starting to think it wouldn't be out of the question.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by WesMan23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm thinking that it should reasonably be finished by the end of the year, unless they get a license for Battle of Gods, and depending on priority, may do that first. Who knows. But yeah, by the end of the year should be feasible.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:So... Is it wrong for me to hope for a release by the end of this year or early next year? :shifty:
Not at all, I'm hoping for that as well.

User avatar
Fennekin
Not Banned
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Fennekin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 pm

This is excellent news. I wonder if FUNimation will release the new episodes on Nicktoons, especially now that both Z Kai and GT were pulled from the Nicktoons' schedule.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by WesMan23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Fennekin wrote:This is excellent news. I wonder if FUNimation will release the new episodes on Nicktoons, especially now that both Z Kai and GT were pulled from the Nicktoons' schedule.
It would be awesome if they showed it uncut late on Cartoon Network or Toonami, or even adult swim. That way, they don't have to go through the process of censoring it like what had to be done with Nicktoons.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 4033
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 pm

I seriously doubt that he's about to finish the entire thing because I directly asked one of the Japanese staff members about their progress situation of the Buu arc last month, and it turned out that they had not done even half of it yet. I guess he meant that he was about to finish the first part of it.

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 pm

kei17 wrote:I seriously doubt that he's about to finish the entire thing because I directly asked one of the Japanese staff members about their progress situation of the Buu arc last month, and it turned out that they had not done even half of it yet. I guess he meant that he was about to finish the first part of it.
That would make more sense, Kyle Hebert has said he has yet to record for Gohan despite being allowed to let the news out.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm

kei17 wrote:I seriously doubt that he's about to finish the entire thing because I directly asked one of the Japanese staff members about their progress situation of the Buu arc last month, and it turned out that they had not done even half of it yet. I guess he meant that he was about to finish the first part of it.
Yeah, judging by the pace that we've seen up to now I'm more inclined to think this interview isn't exactly correct. I have to doubt Toei just pre-edited the episodes for the entire arc and sent them scripts and video to work off of. If Toei isn't even half way through the episode order I suspect they won't be finished until winter.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

Post Reply