Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
kei17 wrote:I seriously doubt that he's about to finish the entire thing because I directly asked one of the Japanese staff members about their progress situation of the Buu arc last month, and it turned out that they had not done even half of it yet. I guess he meant that he was about to finish the first part of it.
Yeah, judging by the pace that we've seen up to now I'm more inclined to think this interview isn't exactly correct. I have to doubt Toei just pre-edited the episodes for the entire arc and sent them scripts and video to work off of. If Toei isn't even half way through the episode order I suspect they won't be finished until winter.
I imagine Sean meant he was done with his portion of the recording for the Buu Saga's first set and that's just how the interviewer wrote it down. Since he's out of state, I imagine they try to record in bulk whenever they can get him. Sean finishes his bit, then the others come in, and at some point, Kyle's flown in for his time.

Also, does Mike or any of the guys at the site know about this? I tried tweeting both the site and Mike, but I didn't get any responses.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Well this means that it took him less than four months to almost finish his recordings because in January he tweeted that he had not started recording yet. So I would imagine it should be done by the end of the year.
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 am

kei17 wrote:I directly asked one of the Japanese staff members about their progress situation of the Buu arc last month, and it turned out that they had not done even half of it yet.
That's what's painful with the fact that it doesn't air on TV: with a one episode a week airing, the speed at which they were making the episodes seemed fast and satisfying, you had the feeling they could make them really fast and on-going.
But when no episode is shown until all episodes are finished, you realize how long it takes for them to make them and how hard it is to wait...

And we kinda know that we won't get any promo like pictures of the new opening/ending and things like that to keep us waiting. We'll really have to wait until every single thing is done in Japan and then in other countries, with the product itself being available somewhere, before we can see the first glimpses of what it's like! It's really some sort of twisted torture knowing they'll keep us waiting till the very end in a very long time with NOTHING to feed our patience in the meantime.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

This is great news! Hopefully we can get it aired on Kix here in the UK by the end of the year. Of course we still need them to air the Cell saga first :)

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm

It got removed. Would you be able to tell us what it said?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Fennekin wrote:
It got removed. Would you be able to tell us what it said?
Kyle Hebert announced that he will be returning as Gohan in Kai, and that he will be recording in a few weeks.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Well, it's good Hebert is returning. I hope Edwards returns as well. It would be great if Robertson came back, too.

They should think about recasting Videl's school friends, though. Ugh.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

penguintruth wrote:They should think about recasting Videl's school friends, though. Ugh.
I dunno, if Bailey could tone down her valley girl-ness for the one friend, she fits well enough...either way, not like those characters will be there for a whole lot of time either way (which is why it always struck me as odd that they merited an appearance in the opening theme...).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Waiting on news of Fat Buu's voice.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Waiting on news of Fat Buu's voice.
Please Recast him, please recast him, please recast him...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 pm

I wouldn't mind the same actor playing Mister Boo, so long as they toned down the squeaky baby-talk like how Sabat noticeably scaled back the "herp-derp" factor for Recoome.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm very happy that Kyle is returning, but not surprised. He said that he was promised the role of Gohan "if Kai got that far." For that reason, my first reaction when I heard about Mayumi Tanaka's tweet confirming the Kai-Buu arc was, "Kyle's gonna be happy to hear this!"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Kaboom wrote:I wouldn't mind the same actor playing Mister Boo, so long as they toned down the squeaky baby-talk like how Sabat noticeably scaled back the "herp-derp" factor for Recoome.
Yeah, I think a deeper, slightly less raspy version of his pure Boo voice would be pretty close to the Japanese performance. Toning back the "child-like" dialog would help too, though according to kei17 he should still sound less intelligent, so I suppose it shouldn't be outright removed.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Hrm. Kyle's tweet has also been deleted. Maybe he didn't have the okay to talk about it after all.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 am

Kaboom wrote:I wouldn't mind the same actor playing Mister Boo, so long as they toned down the squeaky baby-talk like how Sabat noticeably scaled back the "herp-derp" factor for Recoome.
I'd love to see him returning just for curiosity's sake. I wonder different he'll sound.

Appūru-sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Appūru-sama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

DemonRin wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:Waiting on news of Fat Buu's voice.
Please Recast him, please recast him, please recast him...
That would be ideal. His Z dub voice is nails on a chalkboard. Why FUNi has a boner for giving its obese antagonists horrible squeaky voices I have no idea (see Android 19).

I never really got into Full Metal Alchemist, but I vaguely remember the voice of Gluttony would be a cool fit for Fat Buu.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:47 pm

I could go for Chris Cason as Boo (fat Boo, at least).

Also, I thought Android 19's voice was fine. At least in Kai. I barely remember it from Z.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

90sDBZ wrote:This is great news! Hopefully we can get it aired on Kix here in the UK by the end of the year. Of course we still need them to air the Cell saga first :)
That will be good news for me too. Kix! will air Android/Cell Arc at some point this year I hope.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Speaking of Mr. Martin, would you say you prefer his Fat Buu or his Kid Buu voice?