Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Sean Schemmel confirms Buu Saga dubbing in interview

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 pm

They'll probably keep the Great Saiyaman filler and changes that are too built into the main story to remove. Other than that, I'm not sure. I do hope that they keep the Cell fight reenactment, though. I'm sure that FUNi could come up with a really cool way to go about dubbing that.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:15 am

Kendamu wrote:Other than that, I'm not sure. I do hope that they keep the Cell fight reenactment, though. I'm sure that FUNi could come up with a really cool way to go about dubbing that.
Ah, yeah. Now that I loved.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 am

Holy hell, what if they leave that scene in and FUNimation dubs it with lines from the Z dub? No chance of that happening, but it would be amazing to see.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:17 pm

I hope they'll keep as much of the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight as they can. There's where Toei truly stepped up and got what people REALLY wanted to see.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:I hope they'll keep as much of the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight as they can. There's where Toei truly stepped up and got what people REALLY wanted to see.
I really don't understand the appeal of the Goku vs Majin Vegeta filler at all. We already saw Goku and Vegeta fight, do we need to see it again? The filler choreography is lazy and mostly rehashing what happened in the first fight (beam struggle anyone)? Besides it doesn't have much importance on the overall plot, it's one of the least relevant, or interesting, things of the Boo arc.

The whole point of Kai is to eliminate as much filler as possible. If people like the fight filler that much just watch Z. But then again, considering all the garbage filler they've kept in (Gohan going over the waterfall, Gregory, Bulma-Ginyu switch, Piccolo and co. helping with the Kamehameha struggle, just to name a few) it wouldn't surprise if they left a lot of filler in that fight.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:If people like the fight filler that much just watch Z.
Fight filler is definitely a detracting point for Z, but if I had to put it up against:
  • filler arcs
  • filler episodes/stories
  • camera pans/landscape shots
  • five-minute recaps of the previous episode
... A few extra punches and kicks don't seem too bothersome.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:28 am

B wrote: ... A few extra punches and kicks don't seem too bothersome.
It's more than "a few extra punches and kicks". They took something that was barely even a scuffle in the manga and managed to drag it out for about 2 episodes.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 pm

I loved the Goku\Majin Vegeta fight. It was crazy. Ripping rocks out of mountains and flinging them into each others faces, etc. It was a cool fight. And definitely the "rematch" that fans wanted to see even if it wasn't finished.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 pm

They should keep most of it, but cut out Ebisawa's parts, because not only were those some of the lamest parts (crappy beam struggle), but everything else had solid animation.

I haven't read the manga of that fight, and I've heard it lasts only a few panels, but at least Yamamuro's stuff must remain. The choreography and animation in those cuts are brilliant.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:They should keep most of it, but cut out Ebisawa's parts, because not only were those some of the lamest parts (crappy beam struggle), but everything else had solid animation.

I haven't read the manga of that fight, and I've heard it lasts only a few panels, but at least Yamamuro's stuff must remain. The choreography and animation in those cuts are brilliant.
Keep the Saiyaman saga, keep the Otherworld tournament saga. Just trim them down and remove any contradictions to the manga such as the episode where Goku and Pikkon go down to hell.

If it doesent contradict to the manga and provides additional story and character building, I'm all for it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 am

Metalwario64 wrote:They should keep most of it, but cut out Ebisawa's parts, because not only were those some of the lamest parts (crappy beam struggle), but everything else had solid animation.

How about they cut it ALL out because THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF KAI! To be "closer to the manga" as Toei put it during initial advertising, even though that later proved to be bull. If you liked the fight filler fine, I'm not trying to change your mind, but Kai's whole gimmick is to cut out as much filler and keeping "most of it" that's defeating the whole point. The only purpose of that out-of-nowhere fight is to provide energy for the arc's main villain to awaken. It barely has any relevance to the Boo arc overall so IMO the less the better.
KentalSSJ6 wrote: Keep the Saiyaman saga, keep the Otherworld tournament saga. Just trim them down and remove any contradictions to the manga such as the episode where Goku and Paikuhan go down to hell.

If it doesn't contradict to the manga and provides additional story and character building, I'm all for it.
To the first sentence: ಠ_ಠ NO! The Anoyoichi Budokai arc is just as tedious and pointless as the Garlic Jr. arc and the Great Saiyaman filler is just embarrassing.

The second second is somewhat of an oxymoron. Filler almost always contradicts the manga, any additional "stories" it gives are boring, pointless, and almost never referenced to again, and it doesn't provide any genuine character building. The sole purpose of anime filler is to make the anime drag it's feet so it doesn't catch up to the manga and have the anime prematurely end a la InuYasha, Rurouni Kenshin, and many others. The less filler in Kai the better since, that is the purpose of Kai last time I checked.

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:03 am

The Goku and Vegeta fighting bits from episode 232 was fantastic. Some of the coolest choreography in the whole SHOW.

If they trim the fight down to just that, it'll be tolerable. Like with most long fights the animation varied throughout, and when the animation suffers in quality, so does the choreography. I'm sure complicated movements are expensive and hard to draw.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:21 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:How about they cut it ALL out because THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF KAI! To be "closer to the manga" as Toei put it during initial advertising, even though that later proved to be bull. If you liked the fight filler fine, I'm not trying to change your mind, but Kai's whole gimmick is to cut out as much filler and keeping "most of it" that's defeating the whole point. The only purpose of that out-of-nowhere fight is to provide energy for the arc's main villain to awaken. It barely has any relevance to the Boo arc overall so IMO the less the better.
If they cut out every little shot that doesn't exist in the manga, it would be way too briskly paced.

The only real filler I want are the best scenes from the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight. They'll probably have to keep a little bit of Super Saiyan (2?) Goku vs. Kid Boo to make the transition to the Kaioshin realm having a darker sky, and Goku going Super Saiyan 3 amidst damaged terrain from Boo's huge ki blast.

As much as I like it, they should cut normal Vegetto vs. Boo out. It can be incredibly easily done, because at the beginning of the episode and the end, Vegetto and Boo are in the exact same positions.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:35 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:How about they cut it ALL out because THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF KAI! To be "closer to the manga" as Toei put it during initial advertising, even though that later proved to be bull. If you liked the fight filler fine, I'm not trying to change your mind, but Kai's whole gimmick is to cut out as much filler and keeping "most of it" that's defeating the whole point. The only purpose of that out-of-nowhere fight is to provide energy for the arc's main villain to awaken. It barely has any relevance to the Boo arc overall so IMO the less the better.
As has been said, simply excising scenes that weren't in the manga is not an option, as the show was made in a way to weave filler material within the manga's.

But to argue your weird hate for the fight, it's relevant to Vegeta's ultimate character development and his admittance that Goku is the better fighter down the line.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Not every single bit of filler is weaved into things. Even if you do see Pikkon later, you can excise that whole filler arc and just have him as a background or minor character. There's no reason to waste episodes on an entire filler arc. You can't remove the Great Saiyaman Arc, but you can trim it down a tad. You can also remove the occasional unimportant scene/episode that is pure filler.

Basically, all Toei needs to do is what they did for Kai. Just keep steady. If they want to do more, fine (I'm down for the Kanzenban ending if they want to animate it). But I say don't do less.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 pm

B wrote:As has been said, simply excising scenes that weren't in the manga is not an option, as the show was made in a way to weave filler material within the manga's.
There's really not that much filler that's so inter-woven in the main canon that it can't be cut out via the Frankenstein method they've been using. From the Z portion alone, Gregory, Bulma not knowing about Piccolo's death until after the fight with Vegeta ends, Satan's students, and Videl calling Gohan out on being the Great Saiyaman are the only ones that come to mind.
B wrote:But to argue your weird hate for the fight, it's relevant to Vegeta's ultimate character development and his admittance that Goku is the better fighter down the line.
I don't hate the fight itself, just how much they stretched it out in Z. I could care less about Vegeta's so-called "character development" since it's little more than two Heel Face Turns that come out of nowhere with zero build-up between them. The quicker we can get that Majin Vegeta crap out of the way and move on to the main attraction the better

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Of course I wasn't speaking in black-and-white terms about all filler, but more in regards to Goku VS Majin Vegeta itself. I am definitely not in the camp of keeping the Anoyoichi Budokai arc, if there are people here supporting that.

And to say that there was no build-up to Vegeta's redemption, or the closest he could come to it, is like saying nothing involving Vegeta ever happened. The guy is a catalyst for a lot of awful things that happen in the story, and it's all due to his bullheadedness. The Buu arc is where all his shitty behavior dawns on him.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:41 pm

That Anoyoichi Budokai and Great Saiyaman crap DEFINITELY need the axe. I was bored out of my skull trying to get through those episodes. Great Saiyaman, what with all those zany (read: dumb) high school antics, reminds me of the horrible second season of Twin Peaks where Nadine goes back to high school. *shudder*

Although I know Toriyama intended GS to be a period of transition for the series as Gohan became the protagonist and it's not all filler; so I don't hate it entirely. But I agree with the overall assessment that Kai should have most, if not all, filler material jettisoned.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:26 pm

doomydoomydoom wrote:That Anoyoichi Budokai and Great Saiyaman crap DEFINITELY need the axe. I was bored out of my skull trying to get through those episodes. Great Saiyaman, what with all those zany (read: dumb) high school antics, reminds me of the horrible second season of Twin Peaks where Nadine goes back to high school. *shudder*

Although I know Toriyama intended GS to be a period of transition for the series as Gohan became the protagonist and it's not all filler; so I don't hate it entirely. But I agree with the overall assessment that Kai should have most, if not all, filler material jettisoned.
I find it strange how so many hate on the Anoyoichi Budokai. To me, it was some of my favorite episodes of the whole series.

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Filler is like that.

I make fun of the episode in the Pre-Cell Games Filler (TM) where Goku works on a ring puzzle, but it's actually one of my favorites. Most of the time if somebody doesn't tell you it's filler beforehand, ya just don't care (unless it's drawn like shit).
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.