DBZ Kai cancelled on Kix

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

DBZ Kai cancelled on Kix

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Unfortunately I just checked the Sky Guide for next Monday and there's no sign of it. They'd already moved it to just an 8:30-9:30 slot for half-term and now it seems to be gone entirely. The only way it could still be on is if it gets a weekend slot which I doubt. This really sucks as the low ratings will no doubt be due to their constant re-runs of the same episodes and poor scheduling. They only showed the entire Frieza saga twice and just seemed to constantly restart it and repeatedly show the Saiyan saga and boring early namek saga. I was hoping they'd finally introduce the Android saga but they've really dropped the ball on this one :(

Fennekin
Not Banned

Re: DBZ Kai cancelled on Kix

Post by Fennekin » Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Unfortunately I just checked the Sky Guide for next Monday and there's no sign of it. They'd already moved it to just an 8:30-9:30 slot for half-term and now it seems to be gone entirely. The only way it could still be on is if it gets a weekend slot which I doubt. This really sucks as the low ratings will no doubt be due to their constant re-runs of the same episodes and poor scheduling. They only showed the entire Freeza saga twice and just seemed to constantly restart it and repeatedly show the Saiyan saga and boring early namek saga. I was hoping they'd finally introduce the Android saga but they've really dropped the ball on this one :(
Maybe, just maybe, this means they're preparing to air the Ocean Dub. We can only hope.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Fennekin wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Unfortunately I just checked the Sky Guide for next Monday and there's no sign of it. They'd already moved it to just an 8:30-9:30 slot for half-term and now it seems to be gone entirely. The only way it could still be on is if it gets a weekend slot which I doubt. This really sucks as the low ratings will no doubt be due to their constant re-runs of the same episodes and poor scheduling. They only showed the entire Freeza saga twice and just seemed to constantly restart it and repeatedly show the Saiyan saga and boring early namek saga. I was hoping they'd finally introduce the Android saga but they've really dropped the ball on this one :(
Maybe, just maybe, this means they're preparing to air the Ocean Dub. We can only hope.
You and no doubt many others will be hoping for that but I was really enjoying the Funi dub. Still at this point I'd rather them air the Cell saga in Ocean dub than not air it at all. This really is sad though considering it was only on the air for 5 months while DBZ lasted 6 years. Perhaps they only licensed those episodes for a limited time run and are planning on doing the same with the Cell and Buu sagas somewhere down the line.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 am

DBZ Kai is not being cancelled. Some of us have schedules further into the future and it shows us DBZ Kai is going to become weekends only, like Ultimate Muscle was at a certain point when it was airing, so nothing to worry about here.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue May 28, 2013 8:06 am

90sDBZ wrote:This really sucks as the low ratings will no doubt be due to their constant re-runs of the same episodes and poor scheduling.
I didn't think DBZ kai had low ratings, isn't it instead ranked as one of the most popular shows on Kix?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 am

TestDemo wrote:
DBZ Kai is not being cancelled. Some of us have schedules further into the future and it shows us DBZ Kai is going to become weekends only, like Ultimate Muscle was at a certain point when it was airing, so nothing to worry about here.
Oh yeah I just did that schedule trick on the Kix website and you are correct. But it seems that it's only on from 9-10pm which sucks. On a kids channel that's almost a deathslot. At least they're going back to the Ginyu saga episodes rather than continue with the Saiyan saga again.
Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:This really sucks as the low ratings will no doubt be due to their constant re-runs of the same episodes and poor scheduling.
I didn't think DBZ kai had low ratings, isn't it instead ranked as one of the most popular shows on Kix?
Well it has been doing okay but has never got to number 1 and always loses out to power rangers. What bugs me though is that they don't seem to be giving it a fair chance. Since its been on it seems like it's in the top 10 more often than Digimon Data Squad which has been on for a very long time yet they still let that keep the ideal 5:00pm weekday slot. Could it be that Kai was an expensive show to licence and they needed it to be more successful?

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 am

90sDBZ wrote:Well it has been doing okay but has never got to number 1 and always loses out to power rangers. What bugs me though is that they don't seem to be giving it a fair chance. Since its been on it seems like it's in the top 10 more often than Digimon Data Squad which has been on for a very long time yet they still let that keep the ideal 5:00pm weekday slot. Could it be that Kai was an expensive show to licence and they needed it to be more successful?
You might have a point there, while DBZ Kai might not be seen as expensive for the likes of Cartoon Network or Nicktoons it very well could for CSC Media. Remember CSC Media saw a screener for DBZ Kai in early 2011 and they only got the license in late 2012. Not only that but most of the shows that they acquire are relatively old. They are kind of a niche company with the true movies channels and a dedicated girls kids channel. They might have moved it to the side because of Yu-Gi-Oh GX, they are trying to push that now.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 am

Solidus wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Well it has been doing okay but has never got to number 1 and always loses out to power rangers. What bugs me though is that they don't seem to be giving it a fair chance. Since its been on it seems like it's in the top 10 more often than Digimon Data Squad which has been on for a very long time yet they still let that keep the ideal 5:00pm weekday slot. Could it be that Kai was an expensive show to licence and they needed it to be more successful?
You might have a point there, while DBZ Kai might not be seen as expensive for the likes of Cartoon Network or Nicktoons it very well could for CSC Media. Remember CSC Media saw a screener for DBZ Kai in early 2011 and they only got the license in late 2012. Not only that but most of the shows that they acquire are relatively old. They are kind of a niche company with the true movies channels and a dedicated girls kids channel. They might have moved it to the side because of Yu-Gi-Oh GX, they are trying to push that now.
Yeah the fact that there was such a long time between them seeing the screener and actually securing the rights says to me that they had issues with licencing it, likely due to a low budget to spend on shows. For shows like Power Rangers it's easier for them to do better in the ratings because Kix are constantly introducing new series while DBZ Kai on the other hand has had the same 53 episodes played to death so it's only natural people are getting sick of the reruns. What else didn't help is that they aired 2 new episodes every day rather than one a day. This way they got through the series too fast and where stuck with reruns. To make matters worse they later changed it to one episode a day so the reruns of early namek dragged even more.

They should have done it the other way around so that they did one episode a day for the first run and then later changed it to 2 a day for reruns.

I get the feeling CSC Media took a gamble in licencing Kai and it needed to do better. It's looking pretty unlikely now that we'll ever get the remainder of the series. I guess I'll have to wait for Manga UK to give us a DVD release.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm

DBZKai is still among the highest rated shows on the channel.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10?_s=4
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:DBZKai is still among the highest rated shows on the channel.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10?_s=4
Even the Kix website has a list of most popular shows with the most popular at the top. Kai was in second place losing only to one of the Power Rangers series but then Kix moved the show to 8:30-9:30pm only and the show went down the list by a few places. They're not even advertising it anymore. It was just last month when they introduced 2 epic promos, one of which was all about Goku and ended with Vegeta's "OVER 9000!" line and another that was all about Vegeta which ended with him powering up and screaming. It felt like they were really in touch with the fanbase at that time but now it seems like they're trying to kill the show off for no apparent reason.