Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
I guess to celebrate the Buu arc and for people who missed out on them the first time. They are releasing two box sets: one for the Saiyan and Freeza arcs and the other for the Artificial Human and Cell arcs. They are supposed to be a more affordable release with the first Blu-ray set being roughly around $370 and the second being $100 less at around $270.
I guess their intention is to phase out the sets that have the Yamamoto score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Episodes 1-72 have been released on DVD (likewise 1-76 on Blu-Ray) with the Kikuchi score yet. They haven't been re-issued, unlike Funimations Season Sets.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Well, they are re-releasing episodes 1-98 on DVD and Blu-ray so if they were going to do it, that would be the opportunity. In all reality, I'm sure they will just have the Kikuchi replacement score.
They do indeed contain the Kikuchi replacement score. We've known since the sets were first announced.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:53 am

Considering that the Kai DVDs and Blu-rays sold terribly, I'm pretty sure that they just repacked their already produced stock.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:07 am

kei17 wrote:Considering that the Kai DVDs and Blu-rays sold terribly, I'm pretty sure that they just repacked their already produced stock.
Can I have a source for this? I believe you, but I'm curious.

Now I know someone will link to the main site and pull that line on me...
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 am

Kid Buu wrote:
kei17 wrote:Considering that the Kai DVDs and Blu-rays sold terribly, I'm pretty sure that they just repacked their already produced stock.
Can I have a source for this? I believe you, but I'm curious.

Now I know someone will link to the main site and pull that line on me...
The official website of Happinet does say that the contents will be exactly the same as what the original release had. They silently re-released all the Kai DVDs and Blu-rays with the Kikuchi score last year and they must have sold badly, so they must be repacking and re-re-releasing them as brand-new boxes.
Happinet wrote:特記
※ご注意:こちらの商品のディスク内容は、2009年〜2010年に発売された商品(BIXA-1020、BIXA-9321〜9324) と同一です。
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:21 am

Ok, thanks for the insight kei. So, a silent re-release, hm? Like when Funi re-released their old single with eyecatchers? Well, I'm still looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds.

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:57 pm

So it's like this I guess:

Japanese ver. = Smaller
International ver. = Bigger

Aside from the awful Great Saiyaman arc episodes the pacing and editing has improved a lot and I have no problems with it any more, but it's a shame that the International edition will be larger than the Japanese. However, if it means that the Great Saiyaman arc is actually entertaining in the International edition then that's good.

I remember reading that Nozawa said something about the series being 49 episodes than 69, so she was possibly saying the reality about the Japanese edition which changes for the International edition that's 69 episodes.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:41 pm

I hope the 69 episode thing is false, same with there being potentially 2 versions. Point of Kai was to cut most of the fluff out. If they're adding it back in that defeats the purpose. I'll still buy whtever FUNi gets though as I'll be excited to see what a current standard dub of the series would sound like.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:33 pm

One thing I'm hoping for is that the 69 episode "international version" won't have the green tint, and that it's an artifact generated from Toei's re-editing of the Japanese broadcast version.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:57 am

Maybe it's also possible that each country can actually choose which version they want for their own market interest.
All that it takes is muting the voice files, so if they have both the "international" (which I think they really use as a word for "American" in this case) version with 69 episodes and the shorter Japan version ready to send in less than one year now, they might give the choice to each country and send the one that actually fits the country's market.

I know that it France, the cast and crew were more than happy that the episode count for each Kai saga was extremely low, and they were pretty vocal about it: the shorter the better. They did the two sagas in two months, which means the Japanese cut of the Boo saga would take one month, which would be all beneficial:

- Some of our voice actors are quite popular and not easy to get, so the least time they need to be there recording, the more they can afford to accept the proposition.
- Much less cost with less episodes to dub, and much less DVDs to produce when the number of sells is uncertain (in France, Kai DVDs are sold as just one pack for a whole saga or nothing, with 9 DVDs or 8 DVDs at once... so you better not go beyond that number of episodes and DVDs for a saga if you want an affordable pack).
- The cast has already stated that the minimal number of episodes was the huge advantage of this version, both for the public and for the cast and crew to work properly, to understand properly the plot.

My guts tell me France would jump on the Japanese cut instead of the 69 episodes, so I think it's a possibility that Toei will actually have them both ready without problem and give the choice to each country, and that when they say "international version" right now, they mostly mean "American version" cause they know what Funimation's been asking for, not what other countries' market preferences are.
But I have no proof, it's just an intuition. :?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 am

Though seeing as the "International Version" was revealed officially on the Toei Europe Website, I would assume it means everywhere outside of Japan is considered International.

I'm convinced FUNimation will release this lower count, they will have seen the reaction to the bloated 69, and will no doubt license the Japanese market one, especially if it means not having to re-record a new dub entirely (assuming they have already completed the 69).

In all honesty, I think they will end up releasing both eventually, an "Uncut" version & a "Manga faithful" version. I for one can see myself buying both, I'm very curious to see what they left in 1st time around.
If it is simply a case of the filler has been removed, but they left in all fight content, then I may just stick with the 69, but if they have left filler in, then I'll pick up the Japanese version without a doubt.
The whole point of Kai is to remove the filler, and improve on pacing, I don't want to watch long periods of staring with nothing happening, and Mr. Satan's many filler scenes - I can do that with my Orange boxes.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Those are good points, but now that it's been done, I'd much rather prefer to go with the full uncut version of what was recorded. I'm really iffy about edited stuff. I know Kai is technically edited from the beginning, but if I had a choice, I'd go with a longer version. More awesome dubbing. More Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go. :D

"This sucks. Make more."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:29 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
I'm convinced FUNimation will release this lower count, they will have seen the reaction to the bloated 69, and will no doubt license the Japanese market one, especially if it means not having to re-record a new dub entirely (assuming they have already completed the 69).
They saw the reaction fans had against the 16:9 dbz dvd's yet they went and released the blu-ray's in the same format
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:39 am

Then again, who knows? Funimation has said that they have no plans to do it. The voice actors may have recorded lines with the project coming to a halt for whatever reason. Hopeless hoping aside, I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a dub of this. A sub only release will be better than nothing, though. :|

Then again, they did surprise us with an earlier than expected announcement for Movie 14, so it could go either way I suppose.

"This sucks. Make more."

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Consider this a result of me being away from the boards for a while, but I can't believe that there is this whole new International/Japanese version topic to now discuss. I just can't believe that this is even a thing!

I guess it goes to show that Toei really is trying to squeeze every last drop of the DB franchise. I was a nonbeliever at first, but when you seem to increase the episode count just for the increased amount of funds I severely question any such decision. I do hope that not everything about this has been disclosed (obviously not) and Toei makes a statement that makes this appear at least a bit better...
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Well that's going to be messy. What's the point?
DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm convinced FUNimation will release this lower count, they will have seen the reaction to the bloated 69,
Funimation likely knows next to nothing about any of the important but ultimately obscure rigamarole Kanzenshuu forum members talk about.
sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:They saw the reaction fans had against the 16:9 dbz dvd's yet they went and released the blu-ray's in the same format
As evidenced by this, and the sales they seem to be subsequently pulling.

Minute discussions over a product they have likely done nothing with and probably will not be doing anything with some time, or an audience they've seem to have deemed either too hard to please or discountable, probably aren't going to ring through to Texas. Let's not overstate our own importance, here.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:57 pm

How well the merchandise has been sell for the show so far?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:05 pm

I don't see why FUNimation would bend over backwards for the Japanese market version. They're not exactly proactive when it comes to making sensible decisions like that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 pm

B wrote:I don't see why FUNimation would bend over backwards for the Japanese market version. They're not exactly proactive when it comes to making sensible decisions like that.
They do treat Kai as a seperate (and usually better) entity from DBZ. Their Kai releases up to now have been as stellar as most of their non-Z releases (or like the Dragon Box if you want to compare it to a solid release - or the Level sets until they were cancelled) are.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 pm

Right, but there weren't two versions of Kai before now. Why would they fight Toei for the shorter version? Because Kanzenshuu wants it? The longer international version serves its purpose by having more episodes to sell overseas.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki