What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:29 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
ABED wrote:I like Babidi's and Dabura's voices, but Super Buu, Majin Buu, and Trunks need to be recast. Arguably, Goten needs to as well, or at least tone down the rasp.
Don't care about Trunks and fatso, but I loved whoever did Super Buu. He must stay.
That was Justin Cook and he is definitely staying.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Since it's officially confirmed to air in Japan in April, I'd say I'm looking forward to the watching the new episodes and to see how the production of the Buu Arc compares to that of the previous Kai episodes. Namely, I'm curious to see what kind of pace they choose to take and how the newly composed background music flows with the episode.

I was generally under the impression that we'd see the series first through the TV english dub or Funi's home release, but I'm glad to know that we can view it first in its original language before hearing it with the new english dub similarly to how most of us did with the first part of Kai.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:03 pm

I will say I will be checking out the Buu arc of Kai, not only to see how much they can condense that story arc, but also hear the updated vocal performances and especially the new music, being the DragonBall music nut that I am.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Well that this arc has been officially revealed I'd say what I most look forward to is it being cut/condensed down to however many episodes it will turn out to. I think I've seen the number 80+ thrown around as to the Buu arc's length and this is the arc that is in most need of having its fat trimmed down. Can't wait to have my wife watch it either (she hasn't watched the original DBZ anime Buu arc) and I think the Kai version will be a much better experience for her to watch first.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Its english broadcasts. Not dubs. Broadcasts. They will be dubbed but the dub is not what I'm looking forward to.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing the new English Dub. Kyle Hebert is one of my favorite Voice Actors and it will be interesting to see his new performance as Gohan now that he has more experience.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Revised Majin Vegeta Speeches / Revised Vegeta dialogue in general
Better Soundtrack (Hopefully one thats more modern and creative / less generic & repetitive like Yamamoto's)
Better Buu / Gotenks dialogue
Kara Edward's New Goten. (Her new goten sounds younger and a bit babyish but more natural)
Filler Cut out of Vegitto
New Dabra actor. Hopefully a better preformance.
Revised Ultimate Gohan dialogue.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing how Schemmel handles his screams as SSJ3 Goku. He did a great job in the Z dub and I'm eager to see how great he'll be in the Kai dub for that scene.
His SSJ3 scream in The Janemba Movie was pretty good; a lot better than the original Buu saga one where he literally sounded like he was being strangled.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its english broadcasts. Not dubs. Broadcasts. They will be dubbed but the dub is not what I'm looking forward to.
That makes no sense. The dub essentially is the broadcast.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Goten. I love his voice in video games. Can't wait to hear it. Also can't wait until Korean Boo Arc:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 am

I agree about getting to hear Kyle Hebert again. The voice is drastically different in pitch from Masako Nozawa, but I always found it fit the character extremely well. He's a great guy too - I spent almost an hour chatting with him at a con a couple years back.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 am

I look forward to a french dub with excellent dialogue, and a Gotenks with double (fusion) voice instead of just using Goku's young voice!

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:27 am

I like the idea of shutting down people who imagine Colleen as adult Gohan. -shudders-
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 am

I am looking forward for the new opening(s) & ending(s), for the new music and how they will handle the placement, and how they will handle filler. And I am not looking forward for any dub.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 am

TheAldella wrote:I like the idea of shutting down people who imagine Colleen as adult Gohan. -shudders-
I like the idea that no matter where Kyle Hebert's Gohan shows up, a version with Masako Nozawa will still be a click away.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

The Boo arc is my favorite, so I'm so excited for every moment! Hopefully it will change my opinion on Gotenks, because I never liked him and was bored that period with him. I love Trunks and Goten, but it wasn't a Recees situation for me. My favorite moment in Dragon Ball is Final Attonement, so I'm looking forward to all the Majin Vegeta stuff the most.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:26 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:The Boo arc is my favorite, so I'm so excited for every moment! Hopefully it will change my opinion on Gotenks, because I never liked him and was bored that period with him. I love Trunks and Goten, but it wasn't a Recees situation for me. My favorite moment in Dragon Ball is Final Attonement, so I'm looking forward to all the Majin Vegeta stuff the most.
Now that you mention it, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Gotenks vs. Buu fight will play out the faster pace. Since most of it is a silly fight full of wacky antics, the drawn-out pacing seemed to work against how that fight played out in Z; to the point where I felt rather bored at times. I'm hoping it Kai treatment will be a more watchable improvement.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:59 pm

I am mostly eager to see whether they'll make the effort to visibly depict the difference between SSJ1 and SSJ2, i.e. make the hair correct and not omit the lightning.

That really bugs me.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 pm

^ I don't think they'll go that far. As far as I remember, the most that they did when making the effort to redraw a shot was usually just expanding a shot sideways (for the widescreen TV version), eliminate epilepsy-inducing flashes (often during blasts) and fix a few coloring mistakes here and there.

It seems to me that adding lightning to auras - especially for whole scenes - would be more than they are willing to do for just a "big remaster".
They must have done only what's quick and strictly necessary. So there will be no lightning if you ask me. (And in Battle of Gods, Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 Goku have no lightnings, which would imply the Toei staff doesn't consider it as an important part of the form...)

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm looking forward to the new opening with scenes featuring Saiyaman and Goten and Trunks.

I generally like the Buu Saga and feel like it has a lot less filler than the previous ones (and I really love the Saiyaman arc). I thought the afterlife tournament was funny, but I could do without it. And well, I hope they improve the overall pacing on the fights, especially the Gotenks one, although I love him and his ridiculous cockiness.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"