DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Re: DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:54 am

Yamamoto wasn't a screw up. Now that the episode has aired I can point out the promo had Yamamoto in clips from the first 52 episodes while episodes beyond that (android arc) had the Kikuch score. Wasn't a screw up. May not know what's going on but I can say we can expect Yamamoto for at least the first year.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:55 am

Morgil wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Interesting the NEP wasn't there. They have it for other shows.
Not really. Plenty of shows, particularly Funimation ones, tend to skip the next ep previews on Toonami. I definitely know One Piece doesn't include it.
Well... when Attack on Titan was on, which is Funimation, they had them. I guess they assume "Who hasn't really seen this show yet?"
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:58 am

Attack on Titan had it's endings cut short so the NEP could be included within the allotted time slot.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I just wish they play the episode in full screen because the borders is rather annoying to my eyes. I was surprise by the use of Yamamoto music. It's likely that Toonami was unaware on what happen with the music and went through it anyways.
Unless you want the picture stretched to look unnatural, the borders are there to stay.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:57 am

I think this is pretty cool for people to relive their nostalgia and also shows the Dragon Ball Z English Dub fans that Dragon Ball Z Kai 1-98 is uncut. I am so happy that they have Yamamoto because the Kai Kikuchi tracks were kind of blandly placed although it probably had the most silence out of all the Dragon Ball tracks. Its like Namco Bandai and Funi forgot all about the scandal and just went ahead with it.
OmegaRockman wrote:Well, in theory Toonami shouldn't have even had access to the Yamamoto version to begin with; from what I understand they just air the material that Funi sends them, which should have been the Kikuchi replacement version. What does this mean, though? Are they going to air all the way up to 98 with the Yamamoto score?
Little Correction: Its not 98 episodes because Funi only got up to end of Frieza and Goku's fight for uncut (Yamamoto) and they probably won't air the edited episodes.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

anth21ony

Post by anth21ony » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:09 am

So they're using the recalled video masters but received the wrong audio?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 am

Just widescreen while watching. You know that button on the remote. Yeah... Someone totally told said it was Kikuchi. Actually let down now. Get your facts straight.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:30 am

Sweet! Using the superior Yamamoto score definitely makes this worth recording.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:37 am

Wait......what?

Ok, I'm getting conflicting comments here. Is it Yamamoto or KIkuchi they're using? The former would make no sense.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:08 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Wait......what?

Ok, I'm getting conflicting comments here. Is it Yamamoto or KIkuchi they're using? The former would make no sense.
They used the Yamamoto score but credited Kikuchi in the credits.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 am

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:Little Correction: Its not 98 episodes because Funi only got up to end of Freeza and Goku's fight for uncut (Yamamoto) and they probably won't air the edited episodes.
Edited-wise, they actually got further than that into the Android saga, which would more than likely mean that uncut dubbed masters of those episodes do exist but were never released.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 am

Somebody at Toei is going to get pissed when this mistake is realized. It'll be hilarious if this thing actually goes all 98 episodes with Yamamoto with nobody noticing this. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:30 pm

This happened in Brazil last year when Rede Bandeirantes aired DBKai. They started to air DBKai after the scandal and after Cartoon Network ended airing the Freeza Saga with the Kikuchi score and Toei didn't did nothing.
Last edited by gregoryluis09 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Gonstead wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:What is the deal with the stupid border around the screen? It's annoying when watching it on TV :problem: .
Uhhh... you do know that those "borders" are to preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio, right?

Also, deeeeefinitely seeing Toonami, if not Funi as well getting a serious slap on the wrist for playing Yamamoto.
On the other hand, back when Toonzai was still around, they continued to stream their (edited) episodes online with the Yamamoto score. I don't think the Kikuchi versions of those episodes were ever put up on their website. The Latino Spanish dub of Kai also aired the first 13(ish) episodes with the Yamamoto score, also after the discovery of plagiarism.

All that to say, I've occasionally found myself wondering how big a deal Toei consideres the plagiarism in the Yamamoto score to be. I mean, clearly they consider it a big deal, but how big a deal is up for debate considering what they've allowed to happen thus far. You'd think if they were that worried, they would have made damn certain that episodes with the Yamamoto score never aired again, and yet they did in several notable instances. So, FUNimation, and possibly Toonami, might get a slap on the wrist, but I imagine that'll be it. From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any indication that any of the musical artists whose works were plagiarized actually complained to Toei. Toei's removal of the Yamamoto score was likely a preventative, "just in case/see, we caught it ourselves, so please don't sue us" gesture.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:10 pm

They used both. It was Kikushi's score up until the scene where Bulma lands on Roshi's island. Everything else from there on out was the Yamamoto score.

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:19 pm

I think it's odd that Toonami ended up getting the episodes with the Yamamoto score. Toei seemed to make it pretty clear that they wanted the score replaced as fast as possible, I think the episodes on Toonzai switched from Yamamoto to Kikuchi within a week or two after the whole scandal broke. You can't even buy episodes with the Yamamoto score anymore (I think?).

Regardless, I'm on the Yamamoto train as well, so I hope they get to use his score for as long as possible. :P
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:

They used both. It was Kikushi's score up until the scene where Bulma lands on Roshi's island. Everything else from there on out was the Yamamoto score.
I'm pretty sure it was Yamamoto the whole episode.. right?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm also aboard the Yamamoto train and, if they continue to use the score throughout the series, then I sure hope people are recording this.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Hmm, they used both Kikuchi and Yamamoto in the same episode?
Samwize78 wrote:I think it's odd that Toonami ended up getting the episodes with the Yamamoto score. Toei seemed to make it pretty clear that they wanted the score replaced as fast as possible, I think the episodes on Toonzai switched from Yamamoto to Kikuchi within a week or two after the whole scandal broke. You can't even buy episodes with the Yamamoto score anymore (I think?).

Regardless, I'm on the Yamamoto train as well, so I hope they get to use his score for as long as possible. :P
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was Yamamoto the whole episode.. right?

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:53 pm

The episode is now up on [adult swim]'s website, it's all Yamamoto. Phew, good to know I'm not going crazy :D .

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Samwize78 wrote:The episode is now up on [adult swim]'s website, it's all Yamamoto. Phew, good to know I'm not going crazy :D .
Am I the crazy one? I could have sworn it was Kikuchi’s score up until a certain point. Ugh, I wish I recorded it.