How The Battle Of Gods Release Affects Funi Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

How The Battle Of Gods Release Affects Funi Buu Saga Kai

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Yesterday I received my extended Battle Of Gods Blu Ray, and I dug into the special features with the Funimation cast.

Picked up on a couple things. Firstly, during the flashback of young Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao, Goku has Stephanie Nadolny's voice, NOT Colleen Clinkenbeard's. This would fall in line with a few character's voices being reprised by their Z actors, rather than their Kai ones.

Also, Chris Sabat gives direction to different actors to channel their DBZ performance, rather than Kai.
One of them happened to be Kyle Hebert reprising the role of teenage/adult Gohan.

Sabat says that they have "calmed him down" for Kai, but for this movie to try and sound more like his DBZ performance.

Granted, we already knew it was coming, but this seems like more solid evidence that Funi had been recording for the new episodes for months now.

Would this kind of stuff be considered retconning? Or are they trying to push DBZ and Kai being two completely different shows? The messaging seems kind of confused when their dub of Kai was marketed as a Director's Cut, the way it should be watched.

Ajay

Re: How The Battle Of Gods Release Affects Funi Buu Saga Kai

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 pm

They consider Z and Kai two different shows which is why you have Kyle Hebert doing the narration again in the extended version of the dub. They spoke about it a bit in an interview on this very site.
DBZ and Kai, in particular, are treated as different IPs entirely – each with their own creative team.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:46 pm

The directing is similar to Kai for BoG. I think they just brought the old voices back for 'consistency'. Hopefully if Freeza appears in a new movie he is voiced by Ayres rather than Young. I can't go back to that anymore. It just sounds wrong in comparison to Ayres or Nakao.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I wonder if it's a good idea on their part, it almost encourages dividing their fanbase. After Kai's English dub, I don't ever want to go back.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:04 pm

I kind of have the same mindset myself. I see the original run of 508 episodes being seperate from the newer refreshed 167 episode run. Since Battle of Gods is considered part of the older ones, one would imagine they try to keep the VAs as consistent as possible. That may include Young as Frieza should the need arise. Personally, I don't have an issue with it, since I'd be curious to hear if she's improved and how she sounds with better written dialog. This is coming from someone who doesn't have a problem with the Z performance or the lines.

Also, what do you think he meant by toning down Gohan? And if he sounds different from that in Battle of Gods, then why does Vegeta sound so different from his Z performance? Not a complain, just an oddity.

Does he flat out say they recorded for The Final Chapters in this?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Does he flat out say they recorded for The Final Chapters in this?
No, he just tells Hebert "I know we calmed Gohan down a bit for Kai, but for this we really want the original Dragon Ball Z feel." Maybe he's alluding to younger Gohan? But if so, why would he tell Hebert this?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:41 pm

To be fair, Gohan is drunk for a good section of the movie, so it may just be an apt direction for the character at the time, lol.

In all seriousness, who knows the exact reasons? The acting is certainly better, and the direction didn't feel off when compared to Kai, so perhaps it was some sort of specific inflection they wanted.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Mewzard wrote:To be fair, Gohan is drunk for a good section of the movie, so it may just be an apt direction for the character at the time, lol.

In all seriousness, who knows the exact reasons? The acting is certainly better, and the direction didn't feel off when compared to Kai, so perhaps it was some sort of specific inflection they wanted.
Not going to argue with you there, this dub is of the same quality as Kai's... Which is pretty damned good to me.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:They consider Z and Kai two different shows which is why you have Kyle Hebert doing the narration again in the extended version of the dub. They spoke about it a bit in an interview on this very site.
DBZ and Kai, in particular, are treated as different IPs entirely – each with their own creative team.
Now that pretty much explains everything. I understand why they did it like that.