Toonami 2014 DBZKai Ratings!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toonami 2014 DBZKai Ratings!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Good week for The Final Chapters. Good Good Good.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good week for The Final Chapters. Good Good Good.
Too bad everything else tanked. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure will never catch on.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

You know I never thought any non-DBZ anime would do better than what they are doing right now. JJBA is doing okay. Its not doing astronomically well but it does okay.

Also, while I do like JJBA, this does vindicate what I said about it not outdoing Dragon Ball. Same for Hunter X Hunter. Dragon Ball is on a whole other level.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
DB has always been on a different level when compared to other anime in America so it's unfair to expect them to do as well.

I don't know if they're doing good in general but not doing as good as DB isn't a bad thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:23 am

I know right?

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
DB has always been on a different level when compared to other anime in America so it's unfair to expect them to do as well.

I don't know if they're doing good in general but not doing as good as DB isn't a bad thing.
It's not that people were expecting JoJo to do as well as DB, it's that people were expecting JoJo to not have 25-30% drop-offs on average, especially when shows that have aired in the post-Kai slot in the past (One-Punch Man, Dimension W, Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, Naruto Shippuden) didn't perform anywhere near that badly. Gundam IBO, when that aired after Kai, had a few rough spots too, but it still consistently pulled in over a million viewers.

That's the major problem at the moment for JoJo. Of course it won't do quite as well as the DB hour, but all those shows I listed that used to air after Kai would consistently retain at least a million viewers almost every week. Out of the 15 episodes that have aired of JoJo so far, it has only broken the million viewer mark 5 times, most of those being within its first month. For a show airing immediately following an hour of Dragon Ball, based on past data, there's no reason its batting average should be 33%.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Son Goku wrote:People were expecting JoJo to not have 25-30% drop-offs on average, especially when shows that have aired in the post-Kai slot in the past didn't perform anywhere near that badly.

That's the major problem at the moment for JoJo. For a show airing immediately following an hour of Dragon Ball, based on past data, there's no reason its batting average should be 33%.
Maybe it's just not clicking with people like it does in Japan.

Z is one of the beggist anime in America yet the original DB is pretty much ignored by most people (It's not doing much better in Japan). That doesn't mean DB and Jojo are bad shows it's just that they don't line up with what people here are looking for.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:26 pm

sintzu wrote:Maybe it's just not clicking with people like it does in Japan.

Z is one of the beggist anime in America yet the original DB is pretty much ignored by most people (It's not doing much better in Japan). That doesn't mean DB and Jojo are bad shows it's just that they don't line up with what people here are looking for.
Yeah, that's what I meant to add, there's no reason its batting average should be that low unless it's just not clicking with the Toonami audience. I'm expecting JoJo to get moved down to a later slot soon (probably after Hunter x Hunter), or maybe they will just ride it out until the first season finishes in April. The chances that they air Stardust Crusaders afterwards, however...not looking so hot at the moment.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

From what I've seen that the first few episodes of Jojo didn't catch on to most casual people. I see people on Twitter and other social media that was let down by Jojo because the show was not what they hope for. I think people went in expecting for Part 1 to be like Part 3 and it was not like that.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 pm

TIME PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 1233 0.60 765
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 1130 0.52 665
12:30a JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 897 0.42 540
1:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 787 0.37 472
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 683 0.31 392
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 671 0.29 376
2:30a One Piece 597 0.27 345
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 530 0.27 347

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 am

One Piece losing in the demo to a rerun of a show that's been widely available for more than a decade.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am

Which show are you talking about?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Which show are you talking about?
Ghost in the Shell.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:03 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
Ghost in the Shell.
By 2K viewers. I know One Piece isnt doing so hot but that's drowning in a glass of water.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Ghost in the Shell.
By 2K viewers. I know One Piece isnt doing so hot but that's drowning in a glass of water.
It's not unusual to see One Piece get clocked by the reruns that air after it. It happened all the time when it was Attack on Titan and occasionally during One Punch Man. It's just more embarrassing than usual when it's a show that's been around as long as GITS: SAC has.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Toonami is now well into the era where the One Piece anime started going full DBZ and generally only adapting one ~18 page manga chapter per 23 minute episode. I want the series to do well, but I can't really blame the more casual viewers if they don't feel like sticking around for that.

Another thing working against the Toonami airing is that both Funimation's DVD releases (and thus the dub) and the English manga volumes are way, way ahead of the Toonami broadcast (currently 137 episodes and 329 chapters, respectively,) so there's not a ton of incentive for fans to tune in every week unless they just really want "the Toonami experience". This also applies to Naruto Shippuden.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:54 am

People have you seen the jo jo bizarre anime on toonami? The animation is straight low budget, it's static fight scenes, it's corny dialogue, goofy looking designs....Of course Americans who are all about eye candy isn't going to like it. Same goes for one piece, the show is just bad overall...bland fight scenes, goofy designs, too much crying for a show that doesn't fit the serious look. I expect Dragonball and HXH and GITS to be ok because those shows just have the "It" factor. Well rounded shows.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 am

A lot of people who aren't familiar with the Ghost in the Shell franchise have likely had their curiosity piqued by the upcoming live action movie, which would explain why those numbers are decent even though the show is so old. A good call on Toonami's part, I'd say.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 am

Miracles wrote:People have you seen the jo jo bizarre anime on toonami? The animation is straight low budget, it's static fight scenes, it's corny dialogue, goofy looking designs....Of course Americans who are all about eye candy isn't going to like it. Same goes for one piece, the show is just bad overall...bland fight scenes, goofy designs, too much crying for a show that doesn't fit the serious look. I expect Dragonball and HXH and GITS to be ok because those shows just have the "It" factor. Well rounded shows.
So its like Steven Universe LOLOLOL.

Sorry couldnt resist. But 2 of these statements contradict each other. And its "Of course Americans who are all about eye candy AREN'T going to like it."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Miracles wrote:People have you seen the jo jo bizarre anime on toonami? The animation is straight low budget, it's static fight scenes, it's corny dialogue, goofy looking designs....Of course Americans who are all about eye candy isn't going to like it. Same goes for one piece, the show is just bad overall...bland fight scenes, goofy designs, too much crying for a show that doesn't fit the serious look. I expect Dragonball and HXH and GITS to be ok because those shows just have the "It" factor. Well rounded shows.
There are quite a bit of Jojo fans out there, it definitely seems to be a show of acquired taste like yourself when I first checked it out I was kind of surprised in a negative way, wasn't what I was expecting, the dub I hear is bad which will explain the corny dialogue. As for OP I cannot comment since I don't watch it and have only watched a couple of episodes.