"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:There is still a chance Buu Kai from FUNi might be in 4x3 I wouldn't completely rule it out the question.
The opening scenes that are in both versions (Japanese's & the international version) are framed differently so there's a high chance that it was changed to 16:9 afterwords like the original which would explain the different framing.
It would make sense, they have to have it 16x9 for TV purposes in Japan but the original intention was too release it internationally (and maybe domestically on BD) so why go through the trouble of cropping when they can send out 4x3.
Haven't all of the DVD/BD releases for Buu Kai, Japanese or otherwise, have been in 16x9 though? That doesn't seem like a particularly good sign that the original 4x3 version is available to licensees.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Haven't all of the DVD/BD releases for Buu Kai, Japanese or otherwise, have been in 16x9 though?
The french version of Kai 1.0 was also in 16:9 so it isn't surprising to see them continue that with Buu.

Japan's version is a bad sign cause they released Kai 1.0 in 4:3 so if they had a 4:3 version of Buu I think they would've released it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
The opening scenes that are in both versions (Japanese's & the international version) are framed differently so there's a high chance that it was changed to 16:9 afterwords like the original which would explain the different framing.
It would make sense, they have to have it 16x9 for TV purposes in Japan but the original intention was too release it internationally (and maybe domestically on BD) so why go through the trouble of cropping when they can send out 4x3.
Haven't all of the DVD/BD releases for Buu Kai, Japanese or otherwise, have been in 16x9 though? That doesn't seem like a particularly good sign that the original 4x3 version is available to licensees.
True but FUNi have seemingly been working on Kai since 2013 whereas France I believed licensed Buu Kai after Japan, so FUNi may have gotten different masters but yeah I think it would be wise to expect 16x3 and if we get 4x3 it is a bonus.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 am

TOEI must really hate FUNimation, otherwise it seems pretty clear that FUNi would have released the Boo arc of Kai by now.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:TOEI must really hate FUNimation, otherwise it seems pretty clear that FUNi would have released the Boo arc of Kai by now.
We think they want it on TV first so we probably won't get it on home video until it starts airing or until it ends.

It has nothing to do with them hating Funi, they're just stuck in the past when it comes to the way they do business.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:24 am

No, I'm pretty sure Toei hates FUNimation. I feel like other countries were able to acquire Dragon Box footage way before FUNimation and we know that other countries are getting Super before FUNimation. I could be wrong though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:35 am

Dude, Funimation was always the second to last to get stuff, even when they had Gen Fukunaga's Uncle vouching in their favor. Funimation got Dragon Ball almost a decade late (Dragon Ball anime started in 1986 and Funi's first attempt was on 1995) after and Z in 7. Chill, they will get it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dude, Funimation was always the second to last to get stuff, even when they had Gen Fukunaga's Uncle vouching in their favor. Funimation got Dragon Ball almost a decade late (Dragon Ball anime started in 1986 and Funi's first attempt was on 1995) after and Z in 7. Chill, they will get it.
There is no doubt that they'll get it, but how long will pass before they do is the issue. And nothing you said points to the fact that Toei doesn't hate FUNimation lol

Personally, I'm holding out to watch Super when FUNimation gets it. But everyone's watching it as it happens and I don't really think that I'll be so excited to wait three years later to watch it. I feel really behind. The same is with the Kai Boo arc -- I purchased a DVD that has it. Why would I want to be years behind other fans who actively watch it as it happens? And if I've seen it or own a DVD of it before FUNimation gets their ass in gear, why do I even need them in the first place? That's my point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:No, I'm pretty sure Toei hates FUNimation. I feel like other countries were able to acquire Dragon Box footage way before FUNimation and we know that other countries are getting Super before FUNimation. I could be wrong though.
Why would they hate FUNimation?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't feel Toei hates anyone. They just operate their business in a different way. Toei license out their shows dependent on TV deals, FUNimation were one of the first (if I remember correctly) to air the first Season of Kai, and this was because they aired the show on Nicktoons.
Korea, France & Taiwan (as far as I'm aware) are the only other countries to have aired the Majin Buu Saga of Kai up to now, FUNimation have been unable to release it due to many reasons (I created a post earlier in this thread about what I *think* has caused the huge delay) and Toei were happy to wait for the TV deal (assuming it goes onto Toonami right after episode 98).
That unfortunately is how they operate, they hold out for as long as possible until they simply just get bored of waiting, and give up on that TV deal.

The other thing is, in their defence, Toei has licenses that are very popular with children - the big Shonen ones such as Dragon Ball & One Piece. They want them to get as much exposure as possible, and in order to do that, they want them on TV so they reach as many of their target audience as possible.
To them, they are protecting their IP, it is just a shame that they aren't able to see the bigger picture, and allow regions to simply get the product out on home video, or in FUNimation's case, on their streaming service - that is probably just as big as TV right now to many anime/manga fans.

I do think that in this case, the CW's Vortexx block holding the contract until September 2014 hindered the progress, as they wouldn't air further episodes due to them removing the Vortexx block, which in turn, meant Toei wouldn't allow FUNimation to license it.
So, when they got the deal with Toonami, that was when Toei issued the contract, and they started to dub.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

So when is episode 98 expected to air on Toonami?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So when is episode 98 expected to air on Toonami?
As far as I'm aware, it's due to air November time, but bear in mind, if they have any marathons for other shows, that may push it back.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 pm

There is at least a Catalan dub of The Final Chapters, possibly other Spain dubs as well.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dude, Funimation was always the second to last to get stuff, even when they had Gen Fukunaga's Uncle vouching in their favor. Funimation got Dragon Ball almost a decade late (Dragon Ball anime started in 1986 and Funi's first attempt was on 1995) after and Z in 7. Chill, they will get it.
Uhh... Funimation got Dragon Ball in '95 and '96 because they didn't exist until 1994. That's why they got it a "Decade Late".

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Crinchy

Post by Crinchy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm pretty sure TOEI does not "hate" the company that generated millions of dollars for them, and the big heads also stated they enjoyed the work they do nowadays for their faithful adaptations in private dinner conversations according to Sabat.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:So when is episode 98 expected to air on Toonami?
As far as I'm aware, it's due to air November time, but bear in mind, if they have any marathons for other shows, that may push it back.
I haven't been keeping up due to third shift work (and haven't set it to DVR due to already owning all of it), but according to the U-verse TV guide, episode 82 will air this Saturday night. With that included, there are seventeen episodes left to go. If the only breaks are for Halloween and Thanksgiving, and there are no more back-to-back airings, episode 98 should air on December 17.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Sorry for jumping into this post extremely late but I've uhh...been hibernating(?)

Anyway, has there been any official word from Funimation, Toei or even Toonami about the Buu saga coming stateside? It's something I would love to see happen and I'm woundering whats going on. I noticed Z just got finished being re-released fully on Blu Ray(with better quality video from the Dragonbox it looks like too) but nothing from Kai.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Sorry for jumping into this post extremely late but I've uhh...been hibernating(?)

Anyway, has there been any official word from Funimation, Toei or even Toonami about the Buu saga coming stateside? It's something I would love to see happen and I'm woundering whats going on. I noticed Z just got finished being re-released fully on Blu Ray(with better quality video from the Dragonbox it looks like too) but nothing from Kai.
Nothing from Toei, Funimation or Toonami, but Sean Schemmel has confirmed it is finished.
The assumption is that it will air right after episode 98 on Toonami (which is due in December) and I'm not sure if they will even bother to announce it.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:26 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Sorry for jumping into this post extremely late but I've uhh...been hibernating(?)

Nothing from Toei, Funimation or Toonami, but Sean Schemmel has confirmed it is finished.
The assumption is that it will air right after episode 98 on Toonami (which is due in December) and I'm not sure if they will even bother to announce it.
Basically. We have nothing concrete, we just think it'll continue after the current run gets to the end of the Cell arc. I wish we heard something official...
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Hopefully we'll hear something concrete come Holiday time. It would be exciting to see it on Toonami though.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?