"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Huh, seems they really did cancel it. Most likely they opted to skip it in favor of getting to Super as soon as possible. Guess it's gone the way of Ocean Kai.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Huh, seems they really did cancel it.
Post proof. Nothing indicates this.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm

They haven't canceled it, anyone who is jumping to that conclusion is being ridiculous. We literally know nothing other that the DBS Dub is coming. For all we know, it could air on Nickelodeon, leaving Boo Kai a free time slot on Adult Swim.
Retired.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 pm

The deleted Jason Douglass Instagram picture indicates that they've been dubbing Super since July. Given that Super is streaming on Crunchyroll, I wouldn't be surprised if, once dubbing catches up, they'll just start doing a simul-dub (is that the right terminology?) with previous episodes available to stream as well.

As for Buu Kai, if Geekdom is to be trusted (and I've heard that he's a pretty credible source), it will probably start airing on Toonami either in December or January. And I don't know how it is with you guys, but I haven't seen a single episode of Super yet. I'm going to hold off on that until I watch the entirety of Buu Kai dubbed. Then I'll watch dubbed Super. Next year is going to be great!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:48 pm

thaman91 wrote:The deleted Jason Douglass Instagram picture indicates that they've been dubbing Super since July. Given that Super is streaming on Crunchyroll, I wouldn't be surprised if, once dubbing catches up, they'll just start doing a simul-dub (is that the right terminology?) with previous episodes available to stream as well.

As for Buu Kai, if Geekdom is to be trusted (and I've heard that he's a pretty credible source), it will probably start airing on Toonami either in December or January. And I don't know how it is with you guys, but I haven't seen a single episode of Super yet. I'm going to hold off on that until I watch the entirety of Buu Kai dubbed. Then I'll watch dubbed Super. Next year is going to be great!
He's almost always been trustworthy in the past, and he's in contact with some of the Funi guys, so I'm taking his word for it.
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Huh, seems they really did cancel it. Most likely they opted to skip it in favor of getting to Super as soon as possible. Guess it's gone the way of Ocean Kai.
Completely different ballgame there. Unlike Ocean Kai it's pretty much guaranteed Buu Kai has a TV deal. It is coming.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:58 pm

thaman91 wrote:The deleted Jason Douglass Instagram picture indicates that they've been dubbing Super since July. Given that Super is streaming on Crunchyroll, I wouldn't be surprised if, once dubbing catches up, they'll just start doing a simul-dub (is that the right terminology?) with previous episodes available to stream as well.

If you look at Sabat's twitter feed it seems the dub may have been known for 10-12 months and they were waiting on the official announcement.

Anyway, Kai is on episode 91 I believe so we will found it pretty soon either way what is going on with that!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:00 pm

I think it's far more likely they're just going to let Kai air what it as left then simply have Super's dub jump in and replace it when it reaches its end just like how Super replaced Kai in Japan.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Has anyone noticed that Kai isn't legally available to stream? Like DB, DBZ, GT, and now Super all have streaming episodes on Funimation's site. This makes me more strongly think that FUNi made a deal to only show Kai on Toonami. Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just put Buu Kai up on their site? We know they have it and it's already finished. And they did exactly that with Super with the difference being that they didn't have a binding network deal & are thus allowed to stream the episodes. But with Kai, it's seeming more and more likely that Toonami is the only place we can watch it. So even when Buu Kai starts airing, I don't think we'll get legal streaming episodes until it has finished its television broadcast.....well, that's my theory anyway.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:07 pm

thaman91 wrote:Has anyone noticed that Kai isn't legally available to stream? Like DB, DBZ, GT, and now Super all have streaming episodes on Funimation's site. This makes me more strongly think that FUNi made a deal to only show Kai on Toonami. Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just put Buu Kai up on their site? We know they have it and it's already finished. And they did exactly that with Super with the difference being that they didn't have a binding network deal & are thus allowed to stream the episodes. But with Kai, it's seeming more and more likely that Toonami is the only place we can watch it. So even when Buu Kai starts airing, I don't think we'll get legal streaming episodes until it has finished its television broadcast.....well, that's my theory anyway.
Toei is real weird with streaming privileges, who knows what the reason is? As long as we get a home release, Kai fans will live.
Retired.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:23 pm

This is more or less consistent with what's been going on, though. Remember back when VAs were dropping hints about Buu Kai? Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a single mention of it since Super's original announcement in 2015? I theorize that the already completed or almost complete Buu Kai release was canceled because of Super. Kai was a big deal in the absence of a new series, but with a new series around now, nobody would really be interested in more of a recut.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a single mention of it since Super's original announcement in 2015? I theorize that the already completed or almost complete Buu Kai release was canceled because of Super. Kai was a big deal in the absence of a new series, but with a new series around now, nobody would really be interested in more of a recut.
Actually, Sean Schemmel has been dropping more hints about it this year. He says that he finished up recording for it earlier this year.

Plus, Toei seems to want Super playing on a kids time slot....which is not AdultSwim/Toonami. So given that they were working on the dub earlier this year, given that it's completed, why wouldn't Toonami just air the Buu episodes after the Cell episodes finish? The ratings are great and there isn't any reason not to (especially if I'm right about Super ending up on a kids time slot....or not on television at all).

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:This is more or less consistent with what's been going on, though. Remember back when VAs were dropping hints about Buu Kai? Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a single mention of it since Super's original announcement in 2015? I theorize that the already completed or almost complete Buu Kai release was canceled because of Super. Kai was a big deal in the absence of a new series, but with a new series around now, nobody would really be interested in more of a recut.
I doubt this, Toei are very adamant on DBS being aired on child friendly network stations (after all the main purpose of Super is to sell merchandise to kids), Adult Swim would not accomplish this since most kids would be unable to watch it. I think it's very likely that DBS will end up on a kids station while Kai will continue to air on Adult Swim, then when Kai is done perhaps uncut Super would air on Adult Swim.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:This is more or less consistent with what's been going on, though. Remember back when VAs were dropping hints about Buu Kai? Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a single mention of it since Super's original announcement in 2015? I theorize that the already completed or almost complete Buu Kai release was canceled because of Super. Kai was a big deal in the absence of a new series, but with a new series around now, nobody would really be interested in more of a recut.
I dunno, if the dub's finished as Sean Schemmel said, then I can't see it just being scrapped
Maybe with a smaller company or a "lesser" property, but not Funimation with anything Dragon Ball, even if it is just a recut

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:58 am

Bansho64 wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote: The change Schemmel pushed for that had Goku use his full name during his "I Am" speech in Kai isnt really all that big when you look at the Japanese dub where you hear Son Goku a ton of times when compared to the English dub where the Son portion of his name has been almost completely ignored. In Japanese, Bulma and Piccolo often refer to Goku as only "Son". Off the top of my head I can only recall Son Goku being said in English in Burst Limit and Kai.
And, not to mention, he didn't really pronounce "Son" right. It's still a good line, I loved it a lot when I was younger. :P
Pronounced incorrectly in Burst Limit, yes. In Kai? Thankfully no, he corrected it. Just hard to hear over the swelling music.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:53 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote: Pronounced incorrectly in Burst Limit, yes. In Kai? Thankfully no, he corrected it. Just hard to hear over the swelling music.
I don't know, it still kinda sounds like "Sun" instead of "Sown". Not to mention, that "Sayun" pronunciation is still there. It might be me nit-picking but I still like the line.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:57 am

thaman91 wrote:Has anyone noticed that Kai isn't legally available to stream? Like DB, DBZ, GT, and now Super all have streaming episodes on Funimation's site. This makes me more strongly think that FUNi made a deal to only show Kai on Toonami. Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just put Buu Kai up on their site? We know they have it and it's already finished. And they did exactly that with Super with the difference being that they didn't have a binding network deal & are thus allowed to stream the episodes. But with Kai, it's seeming more and more likely that Toonami is the only place we can watch it. So even when Buu Kai starts airing, I don't think we'll get legal streaming episodes until it has finished its television broadcast.....well, that's my theory anyway.
For what it's worth, Toonami is allowed to stream Dragon Ball Kai on their website. However, I believe the selection is their choice instead of airing what's currently on television. I imagine Toonani prefers to air their "new" episodes first before placing future ones in rotation.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am

Bansho64 wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote: Pronounced incorrectly in Burst Limit, yes. In Kai? Thankfully no, he corrected it. Just hard to hear over the swelling music.
I don't know, it still kinda sounds like "Sun" instead of "Sown". Not to mention, that "Sayun" pronunciation is still there. It might be me nit-picking but I still like the line.
We could put them side-by-side.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 am

I think it only makes logical sense that Toonami will air Buu Kai. We pretty much know for a fact that its been fully dubbed for some time now, and we know that Kai has been Toonami's most watched show week after week, so it'd be incredibly dumb for Funimation to just cancel it at this point. I mean what else are Toonami going to do? Just start from the beginning again after Cell or take the show off altogether? English Buu Kai is there for them to air so surely they'll air it. We also know that Toei go to great lengths for TV deals so its pretty much guaranteed at this point.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 am

90sDBZ wrote:I think it only makes logical sense that Toonami will air Buu Kai. We pretty much know for a fact that its been fully dubbed for some time now, and we know that Kai has been Toonami's most watched show week after week, so it'd be incredibly dumb for Funimation to just cancel it at this point. I mean what else are Toonami going to do? Just start from the beginning again after Cell or take the show off altogether? English Buu Kai is there for them to air so surely they'll air it. We also know that Toei go to great lengths for TV deals so its pretty much guaranteed at this point.
Toei want Super on kids channels, but most likely don't care where Kai airs, as long as it does, I'm pretty certain Buu Kai will play out on Toonami at this point.
I'm not sure why they don't just come out and say so, unless they are trying to get it on weekdays on a kids network for a few months, air 20 a month, and get it aired before Super, which I believe will air in the Summer to go alongside the Bandai produced Toei toyline.
Maybe they will time it so it finishes in time for Summer, so they go straight into Super?.
I think it would be better that way from a home video point of view, as we wouldn't have to wait much longer, but for the sake of continuity, leave it play out on Toonami.