"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mint Pepper

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Mint Pepper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 am

I believe the Japanese version only had a brief recap of only the Cell Games.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:What I want to know is if the 7 minute long recap was in the other versions of The Final Chapters
Indeed it was. I've seen that recap in French and in Japanese (presumably from the French DVDs) on Youtube.
Gotta remember though, while they DID record every episode in Japanesse of TFC, they cut down the episode order by 8 when they aired it on TV, so the broadcast version is what everyone's talking about here.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:What I want to know is if the 7 minute long recap was in the other versions of The Final Chapters
Yup, it's not an 'insert' for any specific version, it's part of episode 99. The japanese broadcast version just shortened it to when Gohan beats Cell. :)

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

I gotta admit. This has me pumped. I enjoyed Kai EP99 more then Super EP1. Something about Kyle's Gohan makes him likeable in a way I only feel with Nozawa. I understand the hatred for the music though, it was really mediocre... I would have even preferred reused Kikuchi for some places. I know there is some great songs later though, SSj3 Transformation was great when I first heard it for Vegetto Blue. I do wonder about the colours. It never looked too green to me unlike the first clip of Gohan getting his Saiyaman uniform. Fight it Out is too damn catchy, it's still in my head now. I'll end up loving it soon, doubt it'll beat Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go, but I do love Masatoshi Ono.

Story now. I live in Australia and have always envied US for having Toonami, we had it in the past, but I never had cable as a kid. With Super I searched far and wide to find SOME form of livestream to watch it on. I found a website streaming CN albeit with a choppy video feed, but I didn't care. Watching all these anime in a row is something I've never experienced before, it's amazing! I wanna tune into Toonami every week now. I couldn't stand seeing people on my twitter reacting and not being able to watch too. Now I hope I can every week.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 am

I noticed Ashly Burch was credited as an additional voice, I'm happy a great VA like her is now part of a Dragon Ball dub.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote: Story now. I live in Australia and have always envied US for having Toonami, we had it in the past, but I never had cable as a kid. With Super I searched far and wide to find SOME form of livestream to watch it on. I found a website streaming CN albeit with a choppy video feed, but I didn't care. Watching all these anime in a row is something I've never experienced before, it's amazing! I wanna tune into Toonami every week now. I couldn't stand seeing people on my twitter reacting and not being able to watch too. Now I hope I can every week.
The Toonami block has actually returned to CN Australia. The thing is... they don't show anime (not yet at least, maybe DBS will air on it), instead they show old action cartoons such as Superman TAS, The Batman and Samurai Jack.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:43 am

Hey everyone... I am not from the US... How to WATCH THIS?

I am not able to find this online

Maybe you can help?

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:50 am

I've always had a fondness for the Buu saga, some of my first viewings of DBZ were on Toonami's Saturday afternoon block. Thanks to those blocks I saw the early Buu stuff and soon caught the weekday airings, at the time they stopped at Ep.237 Final Atonement and then Toonami replayed the Saiyan & Namek Sagas, the rest is history. So it's exciting and a bit trippy to see The Final Chapters on the same day on the same block of the same saga that I was introduced to years ago as a kid, I mean how cool is that!

I guess knowing Funimation had been working on these episodes "in secret" also added to the excitement and now this stuff gets to see the light of day. I've always enjoyed Kyle Hebert's performance as Gohan, very warm and kind, slightly timid yet powerful when need be, it's hard not to like Kyle's take as Gohan. I recently re-watched all of my Kai Blu-rays so it hasn't been too long but still nice to hear Doc Morgan say,"Next Dragon Ball Z Kai" again.

I was excited to see Super debut as well but happy to see people are still excited for the Final Chapters! :thumbup:
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:52 am

SuperKirillin wrote:Hey everyone... I am not from the US... How to WATCH THIS?

Maybe you can help?
By other means it's not up yet, but legitimately Adult Swim Toonmai website will allow you to stream the episode for free in a few weeks as currently it's locked to U.S cable customers and requires a code of some sort.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 am

I can only assume the gym teacher has that accent because the character design is modeled heavily off of Freddie Mercury. Personally? I love it.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SuperKirillin wrote:Hey everyone... I am not from the US... How to WATCH THIS?

Maybe you can help?
By other means it's not up yet, but legitimately Adult Swim Toonmai website will allow you to stream the episode for free in a few weeks as currently it's locked to U.S cable customers and requires a code of some sort.
How come the DBS dub is online but not this?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The Toonami block has actually returned to CN Australia. The thing is... they don't show anime (not yet at least, maybe DBS will air on it), instead they show old action cartoons such as Superman TAS, The Batman and Samurai Jack.
WAIT WHAT!?!?!?! I like those shows so I don't even care. Any details on when it airs? I might have to subscribe to the cartoon pack on Foxtel again........ As much as Cartoon Network Aus have really distanced themselves from Anime I could see Super getting on it. Madman who license Anime in Aus have pushed Super HARD with their Subtitled stream of it. So I wouldn't be surprised them trying to get a TV deal on anywhere Z used to air so many years ago.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The Toonami block has actually returned to CN Australia. The thing is... they don't show anime (not yet at least, maybe DBS will air on it), instead they show old action cartoons such as Superman TAS, The Batman and Samurai Jack.
WAIT WHAT!?!?!?! I like those shows so I don't even care. Any details on when it airs? I might have to subscribe to the cartoon pack on Foxtel again........ As much as Cartoon Network Aus have really distanced themselves from Anime I could see Super getting on it. Madman who license Anime in Aus have pushed Super HARD with their Subtitled stream of it. So I wouldn't be surprised them trying to get a TV deal on anywhere Z used to air so many years ago.
Ah man, I just checked the Foxtel guide and it looks like they got rid of it. :( I was so shocked when I flipped through Cartoon Network a couple of months ago to find Samurai Jack airing at 10:00 pm and then it cuts to commercial with the freaking Toonami logo. I freaked the fuck out.

Ratings must of been low for the block so they probably decided to get rid of it due to that. Even without it, I can still see Super airing on Cartoon Network. DBZ Kai used to air on Cartoon Network and hell, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z aired on the channel from their initial airings up until 2009. Madman are always pushing the Dragon Ball brand may it be through the last two movies getting extended theatrical runs or DBS's streaming through AnimeLab. It's definitely going to air on Cartoon Network, I have no doubt about it. The question is when?

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 am

Does this schedule show the wrong times? Adult Swim/Schedule

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 am

It's definitely still green. Everyone still looks unwell.

Here's a very rough demonstration:

If you don't notice it and/or my correction seems too red, then your screen is probably a bit too warm. If my correction looks way too blue, your display might be too cool! My correction may not be perfect, but my screen is calibrated.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Ratings must of been low for the block so they probably decided to get rid of it due to that. Even without it, I can still see Super airing on Cartoon Network. DBZ Kai used to air on Cartoon Network and hell, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z aired on the channel from their initial airings up until 2009. Madman are always pushing the Dragon Ball brand may it be through the last two movies getting extended theatrical runs or DBS's streaming through AnimeLab. It's definitely going to air on Cartoon Network, I have no doubt about it. The question is when?
Such a shame. Anime on TV really died in Australia. At least USA got Toonami (Which based on how much enjoyment I got from one viewing is a bloody joy), I think all we have now is Chez TV.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:12 am

The credits for Episode 1 still note Carly Hunter as a producer at FUNimation so this dub started recording in about 2013 or 2014 because as of last year, Hunter is no longer a producer at FUNi
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:13 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:Does this schedule show the wrong times? Adult Swim/Schedule
No, those are right.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:24 pm

That was the longest recap I've ever seen haha. :lol: Kinda sad the intro isn't dragon soul.

It's a lot of fun listening to everyone talk and compare how they sounded back then. Interesting that Laura Bailey isn't Trunks anymore! New voice actress is pretty spot on though.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:That was the longest recap I've ever seen haha. :lol: Kinda sad the intro isn't dragon soul.

It's a lot of fun listening to everyone talk and compare how they sounded back then. Interesting that Laura Bailey isn't Trunks anymore! New voice actress is pretty spot on though.
Bailey actually recorded for Kai, but due to a scheduling conflict, she couldn't be in Super.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs