"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: I actually regret not doing it for FullMetal alchemist Brotherhood, and I cringe at the thought of the prices Aniplex is gonna slap on that whenever they release it
Will it get redubbed or will they just use Funi's dub ?

I think we'll be lucky if every 10 episodes aren't more than 100$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:01 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I actually regret not doing it for FullMetal alchemist Brotherhood, and I cringe at the thought of the prices Aniplex is gonna slap on that whenever they release it
I've been feeling that same regret. It's the only part of FMA I don't own (besides the video games and a few light novels). The worst part is knowing that whenever Aniplex decides to release it, it'll be even more expensive than the current scalped prices of $150 for each half of the series.

Makes me thankful Funimation doesn't charge the same ridiculous prices, especially for a series like Dragon Ball.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:18 pm

sintzu wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote: I actually regret not doing it for FullMetal alchemist Brotherhood, and I cringe at the thought of the prices Aniplex is gonna slap on that whenever they release it

They uploaded the Funi dub to Crunchyroll, so that's probably what they'll put on any home releases.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm

sintzu wrote:

Funimation's

They did they did the same thing with Baccano as I recal

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:25 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Funimation's

They did they did the same thing with Baccano as I recall
FUNimation tends to not redub most of the anime they get the licenses to that already have uncut dubs, like Cowboy Bebop. The only exception in recent memory is Escaflowne, but they still have the older uncut dub on the discs as far as I know, much like how they have the shitty 80s dub & the better '01 dubs of Akira on their release of it. I imagine Aniplex will keep the FUNi dub on any rerelease they do. Otherwise they'd be wasting time, energy, money, & demand for the FUNi dub because it's already as perfect as you can get for an anime dub.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:47 am

OKAY. Who's watching Toonami? Who heard that Kai part of their line up trailer with the spoof scene? WAS THAT WAS MASAKOX AS GOKU AND LANIPATOR AS VEGETA?! Guess we might be right about the TFS guys playing the parody characters.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:47 am

Was just going to post about that^
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:49 am

I just saw that Toonami lineup promo that showed the Cell Games skit in Kai.
It had Goku saying "Mondo cool!" and Vegeta saying "It's over 9000!!" for anyone that missed it.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:50 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:OKAY. Who's watching Toonami? Who heard that Kai part of their line up trailer with the spoof scene? WAS THAT WAS MASAKOX AS GOKU AND LANIPATOR AS VEGETA?! Guess we might be right about the TFS guys playing the parody characters.
That was definitely Lani's Vegeta voice saying "It's over 9000". Also gotta love the "mondo cool" added in there.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 am

can someone link to this promo?

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 am

jcogginsa wrote:can someone link to this promo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJyUz-Xp6jM

The mock Cell Games clip is at 0:14.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 am

Son Goku wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:can someone link to this promo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJyUz-Xp6jM

The mock Cell Games clip is at 0:14.
MasakoX: "Mondo cool!"

Lanipator: "His coolness is over 9000!"
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:27 am

Can't tell for sure on Fake Goku, but that is 100% beyond any doubt Lani as Fake Vegeta

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:33 am

AzuraRacon wrote:Can't tell for sure on Fake Goku, but that is 100% beyond any doubt Lani as Fake Vegeta
Just listened to it as loud as I could handle with headphones. It's, unfortunately, obscured a bit by the music, but I'm 100% sure, without a shadow of a doubt that that's MasakoX. I haven't been a DBZA fan for 6 years without knowing their voices. With Lani being imposter Vegeta, it only makes sense. He has a good enough mic on his own, & there's no lip flaps, so he could've been sent the script & recorded his lines over a Skype call with Sabat, like he does for DBZA, & emailed the recordings to him for the dub. It's goddamn brilliant. I don't doubt for 1 second that isn't MasakoX. Wish it was longer, but that's what the episode, or future promos, are for.

Compare it with either DBZA, or one of Masako's own videos where he does his Goku voice. It's the same voice, just not as high pitched. It's, basically, his regular voice, just doing an American accent.
Oh, better. Listen to his & Geekdom101's talk about the 4 main Goku voice actors & listen to the part where he imitates the first Canadian Goku, I believe, or maybe it's Kalemis. One of the 2. It's the same exact tone as which ever one that is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:I actually regret not doing it for FullMetal alchemist Brotherhood, and I cringe at the thought of the prices Aniplex is gonna slap on that whenever they release it
I've been feeling that same regret. It's the only part of FMA I don't own (besides the video games and a few light novels). The worst part is knowing that whenever Aniplex decides to release it, it'll be even more expensive than the current scalped prices of $150 for each half of the series.

Makes me thankful Funimation doesn't charge the same ridiculous prices, especially for a series like Dragon Ball.
I think people on a whole don't understand how good FUNimation has been for anime. Sure they have a few cock ups here and there but on a whole they've brought so much anime over, at affordable prices and then re-release products a few years later at a cheaper price. I mean less than $40 for 23 episods of Buu Kai on BD? That's such great pricing, it can be a bit of love hate relationship with FUNi regarding DB at times but at the end of day you can only be grateful to them.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:11 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:OKAY. Who's watching Toonami? Who heard that Kai part of their line up trailer with the spoof scene? WAS THAT WAS MASAKOX AS GOKU AND LANIPATOR AS VEGETA?! Guess we might be right about the TFS guys playing the parody characters.
Oh hell yes, I'm excited now.

When does the episode with the Mr. Satan movie thing air? I watched the Japanese Broadcast version, so I don't know when it'll be in the "Final Chapters" variant.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It can be a bit of love hate relationship with FUNi regarding DB at times but at the end of day you can only be grateful to them.
I know I am, especially when I look at how hard and expensive it is to collect it in Japan.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It can be a bit of love hate relationship with FUNi regarding DB at times but at the end of day you can only be grateful to them.
I know I am, especially when I look at how hard and expensive it is to collect it in Japan.
Yup. Resurrection "F" FUNi's normal BD (including DVD and DHD) release about $22, Japan's normal BD release (BD only) no slip cover too $42. And had $42 FUNi are releasing 23 eps of Kai... Man it must suck to be a collector in Japan no wonder reverse importation is a thing and why companies do stuff like geo locking and sub locking to prevent.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man it must suck to be a collector in Japan no wonder reverse importation is a thing and why companies do stuff like geo locking and sub locking to prevent.
Good luck collecting One Piece there. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:41 pm

MasakoX and Lanipator playing the parodies of Goku and Vegeta in the Cell Games reenactment is the most meta casting ever.

Give the casting director in FUNimation a pay raise for coming up with this.