"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Samwize78 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:39 pm

thaman91 wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:Mike what are your thoughts on the subject? What do you expect or predict to come out of this with any amount of certainty?
Yeah, I'd be curious to hear his thoughts as well. I don't really know anything about how FUNimation handles Dragon Ball announcements and don't know what they might be thinking from a business perspective.

So to Mike or whoever else is knowledgeable about these things, do you have any predictions as to when FUNi might announce this and when it might be released? And secondly, what do you guys believe is the reason for the hold up? One idea tossed around in this thread is that Toei is stopping FUNi from releasing it to protect their sales. Another idea is that FUNi is waiting for some kind of television deal. My business sense is so lacking that I have no idea which one of these is plausible, if any. But what do the experts think about this?
It could be any of the factors discussed, but honestly I think it's because they still aren't finished recording it. As for why that is, I've had a theory now that they've simply been recording whenever they've had the time. If Schemmel is at Okratron or FUNimation studios recording for another role, then they probably figured they'd get him in for a little Goku while he's there; same with the rest of the cast. It's never been on the top of their to-do list to get this done as quickly as possible. And if Rager just started recording for Mister Satan, then who knows how far along the other cast members are.

Now as for the theory of FUNi waiting for a TV deal, if that is the case then they are SOL. Nicktoons has shown zero interest in it, cuz if they did then The Final Chapters could've started airing on TV months ago; I don't think this is the case. However if Toei is the one wanting the dub on TV first, then who knows how long we'll be waiting. It would seem like it would be in their best interest to have it released as soon as possible regardless if it's on TV or released on BD/DVD first, seeing as how the popularity of Dragon Ball in the English-speaking market was probably a huge factor in the creation of this new Kai project.

Whatever the reason ends up being, I don't think we'll have to wait terribly long to hear some news, and I highly doubt the project has been scrapped. So we just have to be more patient.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Did you forget DBZKai is airing on Adult Swim? Funi dont need no Nicktoons.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works, but I thought AS owned the cable rights for Kai, and that's why Nicktoons doesn't air it. And the reason CW could air at the same time as Nicktoons is because CW isn't cable and commercial channel rights are different from cable rights.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Guess what isn't on Funi's October release (yet) :

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/sho ... icitations
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:08 am

What's the theme that Buuhan faces off with base Vegito the sky just before he finally goes Super Saiyan called?
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:23 am

kidhero1000 wrote:What's the theme that Buuhan faces off with base Vegito the sky just before he finally goes Super Saiyan called?
That was a Battle of Gods track. Lives that Must Be Protected is its name.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:30 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:What's the theme that Buuhan faces off with base Vegito the sky just before he finally goes Super Saiyan called?
That was a Battle of Gods track. Lives that Must Be Protected is its name.

Thank you very much for the info. :]
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:11 pm

funrush wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding how it works, but I thought AS owned the cable rights for Kai, and that's why Nicktoons doesn't air it. And the reason CW could air at the same time as Nicktoons is because CW isn't cable and commercial channel rights are different from cable rights.
You are right, the reason I brought up Nicktoons though is that in plenty of other discussions people keep hoping Nicktoons gets to air The Final Chapters first since they don't want to wait another year and a half for Toonami to catch up. :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:18 am

Well FUNi dropped their October release schedule no Kai. I had a good feeling about October too :( On to November!

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well FUNi dropped their October release schedule no Kai. I had a good feeling about October too :( On to November!
I think it will be February 2017 ...

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

Dbzejo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well FUNi dropped their October release schedule no Kai. I had a good feeling about October too :( On to November!
I don't think Funimation wants to wait that long. And if Toei is the one holding it back then they are incredibly stupid. The fans aren't going to wait for another 1.5 year just to finally own DBZ recut. They would probably just import the Japanese version or the French boxsets, or maybe import from other countries that will release The Final Chapters soon.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:25 am

Dbzejo wrote:
This is why I ended up just buying the DBZ Blu Rays. I'm not gonna wait two years until funimation finally releases the Boo saga of Kai.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am

This is a twitter conversation Sean Schemmel had with someone: https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 6532205568

Is he saying that he's still working on Kai? Is it possible that dubbing is still not complete? Maybe that's the holdup.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 am

thaman91 wrote:This is a twitter conversation Sean Schemmel had with someone: https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 6532205568

Is he saying that he's still working on Kai? Is it possible that dubbing is still not complete? Maybe that's the holdup.
Maybe the dub isn't finished yet, but I can hardly imagine they haven't recorded enough for at least 1 or 2 parts. I mean, come on. The arc has already finished in Japan and in France. Korea is also near the end so why is it taking so long for Funimation to release it?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:
thaman91 wrote:This is a twitter conversation Sean Schemmel had with someone: https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 6532205568

Maybe the dub isn't finished yet, but I can hardly imagine they haven't recorded enough for at least 1 or 2 parts. I mean, come on. The arc has already finished in Japan and in France. Korea is also near the end so why is it taking so long for Funimation to release it?
Kai is quickly becoming more and more irrelevant now Super is airing. The majority no longer care about this, whereas if FUNi would have made the effort to have got this out when France and Korea did last year, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.
I know people are saying it might not be their fault, it could be Toei - but they don't care about this Arc, and haven't since the beginning, they only aired this over in Japan because of Toriko's premature demise, and they needed a quick fix to replace its timeslot.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:17 am

I'll pitch up a whole camp and sit here and wait. I want my damn product. I want it asap, but I'm not even necessarily too pissed about when I'm getting it. I'm mad because of the complete silence. For the love of god just say something, anything. I don't care. Just make a point of saying hey we are working on this and it's coming soon. Don't even have to give me a time table if you can't guess yet. Anything is better than nothing and pretending like they don't know any better.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 am

ShaneisMC wrote:Just make a point of saying hey we are working on this.
The voice actors said this more then once so we know for sure that it's on the way.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:58 am

Oh I know there's plenty of leaked information. Its one of the worst kept secrets ever. I just mean some sort of official statement.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:46 pm

It seems Sean has not finished recording. Well, the only thing that I can think of is, that the emergence of Super has changed FUNi's release plans for Kai.
And now they may go straight for the season sets, so they need all of it dubbed to roll them out within a few months.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:05 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:It seems Sean has not finished recording. Well, the only thing that I can think of is, that the emergence of Super has changed FUNi's release plans for Kai.
And now they may go straight for the season sets, so they need all of it dubbed to roll them out within a few months.
I hope they are going with the season sets. And I also hope they aren't going for the 6-months-inbetween-seasons release, because I think it is just unnecessary.